xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MTGaming

Sony And The Ps3 PS3 sonys downfall???

Have you guys seen the iSuppli Corporation pricing of the PS3? It's located at https://technology.ihs.com/ - basically they break down the individual components of the Playstation 3, on a cost per component basis. Essentially, they're making huge losses, especially on the cheaper "Core/20gb" version. Even the Xbox 360 doesn't compare to the value of the hardware to selling price.

I've always been a bit skeptical of the huge pricetag on the PS3, but I guess it is justified, considering it is a "Supercomputer". In the end it boils down to the Console vs PC thing again, where the PC has the versatility while the Console has the specialization to play games better with cheaper hardware costs.

yea i heard they are loosing a lot of money for each unit. I also heard that it shouldn't hurt them because the pieces of hardware get cheaper each year. I also heard that they are making a lot of money on the games. But i still think they should have tried to make it around $500.

ps3 to me is worth the money if you think about yes i know 500 or 600 $ but the $600 ps3 have 60 gb of storage thats $10 a gb plus the graphics are awesome its worth the money its just not many people have the money to afford it

Do you think the PS3 will be Sony's Downfall. I think it is. One the price of the console itself. It is going to be

$500 and $600. Yes 2 versions of PS3. That is just the console alone. THE GAMES ARE $100. Sony thinks this is a reasonable price for what it includes. But do you. I don't. And if they stop making PS2 games I bet Microsofts XBox sales will go up. Or Nitendoes Gamecube. Like no one will pay through their noses just for a video game system and the game.

What would you do. Pay through your nose for the PS3 or pay 1/2 to 2/3 the price for an XBox 360.

I will go for the XBox 360 instead of PS3.

Also do you think the price for the console/games are crazy.

And finally do you think Sony is going to loose a lot of customers with the price of PS3 and it's games.

Buddy, games sell for like no more than $70 CAD. American prices must be $60 USD. Get your facts straight :) On-top of that, the 360 will win the war for the next-gen system, not because it's better in anyway (in terms of specs/games), but because it had a 1-year frame of a lead comapred to Nintendo and Sony.

The Nintendo Wii seems to be gaining more momentum though, due to the fact that it's innovative, and has a very attractive price tag on it.

Edited by Son_Gotenks (see edit history)

Yes, $600 is a lot of money. The success of the PS3 is going to be very closely correlated with the success of the Blu-Ray technology that comes with it.The PS2 became extremely popular largely because not only did it play games, but it was one of the cheaper DVD players on the market. Basically, it was like getting a free DVD player.If Blu-Ray DVDs become the new rage, which it probably will, then the PS3 will most likely succeed, because both hard-core gamers and semi-gamers/ movie watchers will want to buy them.From what I have heard, Sony might even be losing money on each PS3 sold. I hear that productions costs of creating such a unit are enormous, and Sony only makes its money by selling games (and lots of them).The PS3 will most likely sell. There are over 100 million PS2s in existence today. Surely there are quite a few that can not now or ever afford a $600 product, but there are probably enough people who are willing to pay that much in order to get the best Blu-Ray player/ gaming system on the market.

Yeah, so what if you're receiving a super computer for 600 dollars? That's not what the customers and market needs or wants right now. Sony is stupid, I believe the PS3 will fall the way the PSP did, amazing and ahead of its time but not fun, additionally thanks to Sony's hatred of consumer customization, the PSP for example, Sony does anything it can to make sure they have complete control of your system, which for some reason the minds at Sony believe to still be theirs after the purchase.-Valros