xisto Community
DjLuki

Outer Space

outer space limitsOuter Space

The simple fact is, that there is no way the human mind can grasp the immensity of outer space.  When you think of how far just one light year is and then try to get a handle on thousands or millions of light years your brain throws in the towel.  The human mind depends on dimensions. Height, Depth, Top, Bottom, Left, Right.  Space and it's contents apparently has no beginning or ending.  It seems likely that it goes on forever.  We humans cannot cope with such a concept.   One may hesitate to predict the possibility of exploring outside of our solar system.  If you had lived only 1000 years ago and predicted what man would have accomplished by the year 2000 the authorities would have assigned you to the loony bin. However, even if we were able to travel at the speed of light, a human life span would limit travel to a relatively short distance in terms of outer space travel.  Another limitation is determining on which space object should we attempt to find life.  Assuming that life could only exist under conditions similar to earth that narrows the field considerably.  First we need to find a sun that provides the heat life requires.  Then we must find a planet that has water and oxygen and is close enough to the heat source (sun) to provide a hospitable environment.  Finally, it must be close enough for our means of transport to reach it in a reasonable length of time.  With the problems we confront on earth today, perhaps we should focus our resources closer to home.

-reply by old chuck

There has to be life out there somewhere. With the endless vastness of outer space, there must be a chance that there is another planet out there like us. If the universe really is infinite, how could there not be life out there. Still I don't think we'll develop the technology to communicate with them anytime soon. We haven't even been able to get probes past Jupiter (i think?) without losing signals so we're a long way off.Still I don't understand why there is all this money being poured into exploring outer space. Realistically I don't see us ever "living" on the moon or on Mars or anything like that.

Outer space is cerainly fascinating.I guess we're all like dogs trying tounderstand Calculus.It's an understanding that simply isn't in our grip. On another note,how in the world(no pun intended) could we increase our speed in outer space to any thing practical when itappears we'll never break the speed of light. Apparantly things that could go faster than the speed of lightwoiuld just break up into nothingness.Theres so much we don't understand.

My imagination and instincts tell me that we are going to see the world changing to the extent that we have not seen in thousands of years before. The mysteries of space will be uncovered and will leave us amazed! I hope to see a world where inter-space travels will be a reality. We just are going to struck some milestone innovations in this field. The space is too vast and probability of existence of extra-terrestrial intelligence is too high, the reason they have not contacted us yet is either we are in the backyard of the universe, or they are already tracking our movements and studying us. They are actually waiting for the right time to communicate with us. Well what ever be the reason, I am optimistic I am going to see the breakthrough revelations in my lifetime.