xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grimreaper423

What Does Wikipeadia Think About Google mmm??

Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG and LSE: GGEA) is an American multinational software corporation, first incorporated as a privately held corporation in September, 1998, that specializes in search engine, information retrieval technology and online advertising. With a market capitalization of US$118.32 billion as of June 2006, Google is the largest internet search company in the world, almost twice as large as rival Yahoo![1] The company employs approximately 6,800 employees[2] and is based in Mountain View, California. Eric Schmidt, formerly chief executive officer of Novell, was named Google's CEO when co-founder Larry Page stepped down.
The name "Google" originated from a misspelling of "googol," [3] which refers to 10100 (a 1 followed by one-hundred zeros). Google has become well known for its corporate culture and innovative, clean products, and has a major impact on online culture. The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.

Google's services are run on several server farms, which, in 2004, consisted of over 30 clusters of up to 2,000 PCs per cluster. Each cluster contains one petabyte of data with sustained transfer rates of 2 Gbps. Combined, over four billion web pages, averaging 10 Kb each, have been fully indexed.[4]

well thats what wiki thinks lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google
Edited by grimreaper423 (see edit history)

Well technically the verb to google means to perform a search of websites using the google search engine. You cannot google on yahoo. The reason is that google is a trademark for the Google and therefore it must be used to describe their product and not someone elses or else they risk losing the trademark like Escalator, Xerox, etc. a long time ago

The amount of server space and server clusters is amazing :lol::( wow.Fffanatics, you are correct. Also the wikipedia is slightly wrong, one in saying that google originated from a "Misspelling" of googol, i think / heard / believe that they just made a word which is similar to googol (10 to the power of100) or googolplex (10 to the power of 10 to the power of 10). They also called heir headquarters googleplex.

Well technically the verb to google means to perform a search of websites using the google search engine. You cannot google on yahoo. The reason is that google is a trademark for the Google and therefore it must be used to describe their product and not someone elses or else they risk losing the trademark like Escalator, Xerox, etc. a long time ago

although the verb technicaly means searching the web using google, we can all agree on the fact that "to google" now means "to search the internet" no matter what engine u are using..
i think if there was a pool around here about that issue probably more then 60% would be that it means "to search the web no matter on what search engine" but i could be wrong...

That would be interesting, im not sure what i would vote. I often say "Ill google it" but i actually always use google, so i dont know if i would still use the expression if i where using yahoo, msn etc........

Seeing Wikipedia is free for everyone to add data and articles it isn't guaranteed that this is what wikipedia thinks about Google. Wikipedia is checked for bugs all the time however, so the entry should contain valid information. We all know about Google having such a huge ammount of space, not only for their search engine to store data on but also for Google Mail users (more than a million users with a 3 Gigabyte email is a lot, if you are good enough at maths...). Even in the Netherlands the world "to google" is used, but more to be funny than to be serious I guess. When there was a rock party at our school the orginasors had a joke in the announcement.."Clothing style: Punk! Don't you know what punk is? Either ask your parents or Google it!" (translated)I never used the word "to google something" in any serious conversation though... Maybe in the future I will, but at the moment almost no-one here uses that therm seriously...

I think that wikipedia is pretty reliable. I've never read anything that I could disagree to yet. And I use it all the time :blink:Seeing that the difference between Google and other search engines is becoming more profound I think that more people would say Google rather then search. Because if its not on Google its not on the internet!

There's whole lot of wrong info on Wikipedia, concerning topics that a lot of people are passionate about (on the tech side, articles concerning Microsoft, Google, Apple, Firefox, etc.) These pages get a lot of vandalism, but some of them are very smart, and manage to re-word sentences, that reflect there opinion.

Also Gooles slogan is "Don't be evil!". Which is basicly oriented to modern Corporations which enslave their workers. Google has different opinion on workers and they give them best known enviroment to work in.They want their workers to feel like at home, to be relaxed and friendly, so they can use their wisdom at best..That also has some hidden agenda, but i'll leave it for readers to decide :unsure: