xisto Community
OpaQue

Google Checkout! The Big Competitor For Paypal. Payment Processor, Payment Gateway - Checkout Google Checkout now

I know this is kind of late to reply to this topic, but I am finally glad to see something compete with paypal. The only thing is that do you have to pay to upgrade your account so you can buy things that cost more. I know with paypal there is a limit on how much you can buy with the free account, but what abot the Google Checkout. Anyway, google is taking over the interent, so this is no suprise, even though it was a surprise!

Those last two posts are right on the money. YES, Google is trying to set the stage to one-up Ebay and Paypal. Sadly, as usual, I think they're a bit late to the dance. Let's take Google Talk for instance. Nice program? Sure! I and a bunch of friends use it to compliment the usual AIM, GAIM etc nonsense...but, frankly, EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER HAS A CHAT PROGRAM NOW!! Myspace and Live Journal just joined the fray. The problem is, I have NO interest whatsoever in managing 8 different chat programs. A universal chat program like Trillian has proven invaluable for bringing that all together, but none of the morons at Google etc have the foresight to develop a product compatible with a universal chat program! They all want to be proprietary so the users are ONLY getting THEIR Ad presence. It's sad...because ultimately, they're going to suffer the same fate Wang did lo those many years ago. IBM, Intel etc survived to this day because they make products that are compatible with the universe. No one will ever survive making products that don't play nice with competitors. (See Microsoft...lol)eBay and Paypal have been around a LONG time and are very well integrated into the retail market. Utilizing eBay Express etc, outside retailers can have a presence in the auction market and generate sales off their own eCommerce sites. It's a brilliant set up and everyone wins. But GOOGLE seems to be on the wrong path...developing products that set them APART and may ultimately drive people away. Plus which, they really have been SO SLOW to catch up with what's already out there.I love Paypal, it's used by the PLANET and I've never had a problem with it. I've had problems with individual companies, but Paypal (and Ebay) only made it EASIER to resolve those problems.I think Google Checkout has a long, uphill battle ahead and I don't see this as being a huge cash cow for them. Sad...but true. And thusfar, Frooogle stinks. I've had better luck with ANYWHERE but there.

i agree totally with you. i liked the example with the messengers and trillian because iam a trillian user by myself and before that i had tu use 3 chat clients... but back to topic : what makes google think that paypal users would come to them and leave paypal? is ther any plan or something special about it i have missed or is it somathing like a remake of paypal ?

Oh very cool! I can't wait for this. I am at school at the moment and the website is already banned. Seems that all these Paypal haters day will be made just better. Google is certainly having a good shot at taking over the web in a way, with the fabulous Gmail, Google Maps and many many others. I will certainly be using this over Paypal.Have a good day!-Tom

I think this new Google Checkout will be some healthy competition for Paypal after so many years of almost a complete monopoly. I've never personally had problems with Paypal, but for the people that did (I'm sure there are a lot because Paypal is huge) this will be an advantage for them. I would have never seen this coming though. But I will admit that Google is taking over the internet as we know it. I bet we'll all be driving a 2020 Google Vortex in about 13 years.