xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Posting Of Tutorial Permissions

This is kind of a vent, as well as a question for EVERYONE to put their opinion at.

The Question:
Would you want a mod or admin to post a tutorial that YOU wrote, giving you not but a line of credit at the end or the beginning of the tutorial saying "This Tutorial Was Origionally Made By Big_Red2009"? or would you rather post it yourself, and have YOUR name as the person who posted it?

The situation:

ok i am on this site you see, and it is a graphics site, and i sugested that they add a tutorial section and so they are going to add one well it is allready added, but noone but admins n mods can post in them....

i asked when we (the members) would be able to post in it and i was basicly told NEVER, i asked why not and they said too much haslte, they would rather have an admin or a mod post it, i replyed

or, the members can still post, but it will have to wait for a mod or admin approval, meaning that before it gets shown to the public, it only is visable to the mods and admins... because, no offense, but if it was a tutorial i created, i would want my name being the one who posted it rather than a line at the end or beginning of the tutorial saying created by Big_Red2009

they gave me back

Too much messing around I am affraid, we have had systems for setting threads/posts visible and invisible before and all it does is annoy and confuse people. Final admin word on the matter.

i argues a bit more and got :

The staff at tpp all hold an impartial position on all subjects and keep an open mind when writing tutorials. We have, in the past, received items such as this as part of staff applications which has been biased and inaccruate. Staff checking the quality, accuracy and whether or not the tutorial is appropriate is just a part of regular procedure; the staff may also add to the tutorial, change certain words due to them being over technical etc. There are a million and one reasons why the staff will be checking member submissions.

i said that that was why mods and admins have the ability to edit, delete etc to things like that...

and its not like the mods would be doing any more work than what they would normally be doing, if they read the tutorial and it was hard to understand they delete it and ask the owner to re-write it or dont post it at all and you delete it. and if they were to PM it to you you would just say the same thing and delete the PM....
if you saw a spelling error after they post it you would edit it, and if you saw a spelling error when they PM'd it to you you would have changed it...

if it is not apprppriate, how long would it take for a mod or admin to notice it? every time i come on, there is a mod or admin on...

that was the most recent message i sent to them.

basicly, my question is.....Would you want a mod or admin to post a tutorial that YOU wrote, giving you not but a line of credit at the end or the beginning of the tutorial saying "This Tutorial Was Origionally Made By Big_Red2009"? or would you rather post it yourself, and have YOUR name as the person who posted it?

I think that the members should be alloud to post the tutorials and not just the mods and admins..because what is the point of getting a line of credit, when you worked for maybe an hour on making it.....

Unless they let the members post the tutorials they wont see a word of my tutorials....
Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

When I write tutorials I like to have my forum name next to them so people can see who wrote it, and also who to direct any questions towards. If the admin's name is next to it then they are likely to get PMed with questions about the tutorial, regardless if they credit the original creator.

lol that was funny , i wonder how professional they are and it looks like you are not going to get your name mentioned in the tutorial ,maybe you sugesst to other members to join you in PMing the admin ?

hmmm.. Thats ridiculous.. I mean if i write a tutorial i would want my name to be displayed besides it so that i get the required credit!Whenever i be on any tech site view tutorials there then only i come to know which person is more talented according to the tutorial..I would never want everyone would just praise the admins and the mods.I am with you..

I think they are just too lazy to make a system that allows them to edit and what not or they just don't want to read and proofread the tutorial before it is posted. I would certainly like my name next to something I created so people can credit me and not someone that doesn't know a thing about the matter. I guess if they had problems in the past that is understandable but you could set up one person and make that there job to proofread and post or deny tutorials.

thank you all for your responses, i do hope to get more...

i looked up the tutorial section mod they are usin on Invisionize and it has a feature in it that you can make it to where to mod or admin needs to approve it, so if it is anything like the report feature on IPB Sites, then right next to your inbox, maybe it will say (1) Tutorial or somthing along that lines so it wouldn't be that hard to do tht...lol im going to PM the link to this thread to the admin of the site.. and i just found out they deleted the topic it was being discussed in.. LOL

My correnction, they jsut closed it and moved it....this is the final post that they made

The administrators:
I am always busy working on ideas, member relations, general problems with the forum etc.

Terry is ever watchful of a new version of IPB because we have so many mods installed it does take us a while to upgrade, he always has valuable input on my ideas, he often comes up with his own cool ideas, he takes on some graphics requests.

Hells and Padfoot are the only proboards skinners, they get tons of requests so that ties my third admin up with that (hells). She manages to find time to post her thoughts on my ideas, and her own ideas etc.

The staff:

Tom is always busy with reviews and sorting ideas for me. He also has a rather successful and cool website of his own to run which takes up a lot of time.

Aurora is head layout designer, she gets so many requests and if Theresa is busy or another designer cannot help then she has to complete them herself. She still manages to come into the staff area and tell me what's going on or if she needs anything. Oh and she is co-webmaster along with Tom of thier own website.

Theresa... Ever visited dervish-banges.com? She is the webmaster there, and she works hard on ALL her commitments; TPP, school, sports, her website, advising webmasters.

Sam_siren is one of the most creative designers we have, she can make something out of nothing when it comes to graphics. She takes on many requests when she can.

Floo_Phoenix is another graphics designer who has amazing skill and uses it when ever a request comes in to us.

Oh and most of those have exams and personal lives to get through at the moment...

Dogwhiz, loads of stuff going on at school but managing to take on requests. Slytherin_godess is the same, loads of other work but still working for us. Luke has just rejoined us and is running around like a headless chicken trying to get all tutorials sorted out.

The point of the matter is that we have more than enough on our plates and that yes there is nearly always someone online but they are all very much like me; when they come online they have 4-5 PMs to answer and a list as long as thier arm of things that need to be done for TPP and it's members. And this is all fit in around the rest of life.

If members wish to submit tutorials then thank you, we do appreciate it. Please PM them to Luke and he will make any appropriate changes, all members who submit will recive the user title "TPP Tutorial Maker", full credit given on the tutorial and your post count incremented. This is the final word of the administration and the staff, any more arguing about it will result in warnings.

*closed*

i feel like cusing them out and telling them HIRE ONE OR TWO MORE MODS SPECIFICLU DESIGNED TO MODERATE THE TUTORIAL SECTION... this is un freaking belivable how hard would that be? i will GLADLY mod the tutorials to take it off of everyone elses hands... omg this is nerve racking (for me atleast) it pisses me off!
Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

Haha, thats quite an argument you have going with them. However I have to agree with you and mainly the others that posted here, if I made a tutorial I would want my name to be alongside it saying I posted it. You'd think that most admins wouldn't want this also because of the reason that rvalkass stated. The reason being that they'd probaly be getting private messages about the tutorial. There's several ways they could resolve this. Such as getting something installed like on invisionfree and ipb where the members can post a topic and it has to be approved by a moderator or administrator first. Or like you said in the one message about getting moderators. So many ways that this problem could be fixed but the admins there are to damn strict. Meh.

i PM'd the admin with this

I completley respect your desision on having the mods and admins post the tutorials, but i think it is BS... if all of the mods etc that you have now are busy, every think about hiring one or two mods specificly for moderating the tutorials that members post? im sure someone would do it happily...i know i would do it ina heartbeat....
i have asked two of my friends online, and i have posted this whole contraversy on another site and everyone there agrees that the person who made the tutorial should be the one to post it.....

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/37783-posting-of-tutorial-permissions/

Hope im not showing any dis-respect but im just standing up for what i believe should be right

and i got this back:

I said any arguing with the final decision will earn a 24 hour suspension, this is your final warning.
I don't need more staff to do simple tasks, our current staff do them just fine, TPP does not need people on the staff who sit around all day doing bugger all other than checking a tutorial once every blue moon when one comes in.

A) Nowhere did they EVER say any more arguing on this will ear a 24 hour suspension.... :rolleyes: i think this webmaster needs to pull the stick out of his @$$....and to think i was going to donate to them so they have some help keeping the site open....... *closes the paypal account that was in the process of being opened* what arseholes lol