xisto Community
BooZker

Public Hmtl Folder And Www Folder Something is wrong with the ftp

My website has been running fine until a few days ago. First thing i notcied was i made all my nav buttons rollovers and when i uploaded then via ftp the only one that changed was the home page ".../home.html" Then whenever i tried to upload anything else it wouldnt work. It says its uploading, but dosnt. I did all this uploading into the public html folder. Then after getting worried that i will not ever be able to update my site i tried one last place the www folder. What is that folder? It works when i upload stuff and the pages work now, but why and what is this folder? How did my files form the public html folder get in there in the first place?Any help would be great because my site updates literaly every 24 hrs.

The www folder is simply a shortcut or "alias" to the public_html folder. In other words, it is the same folder as the public_html one :rolleyes: . Use it if uploading to the normal public_html folder does not work :lol: Hope that helps!

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

The www folder is more correctly defined as an "alias" of the public_html folder. They are the same folder. If you add or delete something to one of them, it also has the same effect on the other.

sweet i want to knwo that and you have helped me out dudes, thanks, i ahd problems with my site uploading but then i just re uploaded it and it seemed to work out fine so im not so botherd anymore which is god because i dont have to worry about it, my new site is being sorted by a friendly fellow on here and im going to pay him then its all sorted, wow thsi webdesign is easy, lol, thats a joke i like the ahrder work but with this problem i really would have know wat to do, sorry to knida hijack your thread now back to the public html and the www folder problem, can you disclose further what is wrong with you site and im sure we will all help to sort it out! good luck with it and ill check back later to see what is wrong wuth it!

sweet i want to knwo that and you have helped me out dudes, thanks, i ahd problems with my site uploading but then i just re uploaded it and it seemed to work out fine so im not so botherd anymore which is god because i dont have to worry about it, my new site is being sorted by a friendly fellow on here and im going to pay him then its all sorted, wow thsi webdesign is easy, lol, thats a joke i like the ahrder work but with this problem i really would have know wat to do, sorry to knida hijack your thread now back to the public html and the www folder problem, can you disclose further what is wrong with you site and im sure we will all help to sort it out! good luck with it and ill check back later to see what is wrong wuth it!

He doesn't have a problem he just said that it wasn't working and then transferred the stuff from the public_html folder to the www folder and it fixed it and he wanted to know what the www folder is.

Well as stated before they are the same thing and I think the reupload is all you needed to do or maybe you fixed a glitch in the rollover or whatever but yes they are the same and what you put in one will show up in another.

OK yah that helps a lot. Why is there even 2 folders then?

OK yah that helps a lot. Why is there even 2 folders then?

public_html folder is the original UNIX command that was established when first public HTML pages were available. However, it wasn't intuitive enough for regular members or caused bit of confusion for average hosting members.
So in recent hosting providers have incorporated WWW folder (which is just another short cut to public_html folder) to make your hosting experience smoother.

ah ha. ok so i can just always use one or the other folder if one is not working. Thanks

Ah... interesting. Always wondered what it did and why they copied across, but never had the confidence or time to play around deleting stuff from there to see why ;D