xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
garbage

Question On Changing Subdomain And Also Redirecting Im very confused

Well Ive been reading alot of the sticky post and faq's but im still a bit cunfused. and i havenet found a few answers.Im looking to have my Xisto subdomain changed. before i do that im going to purchase a new domain thru yahoo.After i purchase that domain can my trap 17 account be changed to that domain . if so im sure it is just by pointing the domian to the trap 17 servers ns1ns2something like that. is that right?and i want to know will it delete all my current folders i have uploaded and will i have to start over or will the name change be the only thing affected?Also im having trouble figuring out once i have my domain, how do i redirect a link without it showing my trap.17hosted url after my it displays my .comthis is what i get right now. example.I type http://www.imagineersystems.com/ and it pulls up my page then it shows sitename.trap17.com/myforumsbut id like it to still remain at monkey.com but then show monkey.com/myforums how do i achive this.anyone

Edited by garbage (see edit history)

After i purchase that domain can my trap 17 account be changed to that domain . if so im sure it is just by pointing the domian to the trap 17 servers

ns1

ns2

Yes you point your domain names to NS1.TRAP17.COM and NS2.TRAP17.COM

and i want to know will it delete all my current folders i have uploaded and will i have to start over or will the name change be the only thing affected?

No if you change your sub domain to the actual domain (which would get rid of the subdomain altogether) it will not affect any of your folders and what not, it will all remain in the same place.

Also im having trouble figuring out once i have my domain, how do i redirect a link without it showing my trap.17hosted url after my it displays my .com

this is what i get right now.

example.

I type http://www.imagineersystems.com/ and it pulls up my page then it shows sitename.trap17.com/myforums

but id like it to still remain at monkey.com but then show monkey.com/myforums how do i achive this.

The only way to have your domain show the actual directory you are in without bringing up the sub domain, you would have to get rid of the sub domain altogether by changing it to your domain as your main url. This can be done by going to https://support.xisto.com/ IT WILL COST 15 CREDITS. So make sure you have some saved up. But by entering your domain there it will get rid of the sub domain and make your main url http://yourdomain.com/ and you can see all the directories and what not to reach the directed place.

so therefore i wouldnt be able to just type in monky.com and it pull up my webpage. it would automatically go to my ftp folders directories instead of going directly to my site.

ok i think i understand now.. eiother way looks like im gonna have to try it out i had to edit tis post i think i got it. if once i purchase my domain name.com thry yahoo. i will need to point the servers to trap 17. after that is done come to trap 17 request the name change to mydomain.com then everytime i go to mydomain.com it will pull up my directories folder , but if i go to my domain forward contol panel and i set my forwarding address to /forums same as in my directories folder , everytime i type mydomain.com will automatically go to mydomain.com/forums is this correct then all i have to do to access my ftp is go to  mydomain.com and i will have access to my ftp i hope this is right

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

I think I got you confused I am not sure. If you have an index page in your directory of public_html or www folder then your domain will take you to that index page. For example...my site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ really is public_html/index.htm If you go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that will take you to my forums public_html/forums/index.htm (note public_html is the same as www) So unless you want your forums to be your home page for your domain, then you don't have to forward anything you just have to change your domain and point to the nameservers.

but if i go to my domain forward contol panel and i set my forwarding address to /forums same as in my directories folder , everytime i type mydomain.com will automatically go to mydomain.com/forums is this correct

If you only have 1 domain and use domain forwarding option from your domain DNS control, (using Xisto as an example) here is how it goes:

your current sub-domain (because you did not registered Xisto hosting with a domain) sub-domain.trap17.com
your domain forwards to "forums" folder of your sub-domain.trap17.com
when your domain is called, i.e. yourNewDomain.com it will go to sub-domain.trap17.com/forums and NOT yourNewDomain.com/forums <-- just a syntax thingie. But your borwser URL will show yourNewdomain.com/forums.

This is because you can only use either nameserver change or use domain forwarding under your domain DNS control, not both.

I think I understand what the problem is.When you get your domain, you can do three things. 1) You can change the DNS settings of the domain to point to the Xisto nameservers. 2) You can forward the domain to your current Xisto subdomain. 3) You can change the nameservers of the domain and add a Parked Domain to your account in cPanel.Rememeber that if you choose option #1, right before you change to your domain, you should change the settings for your forum to reflect the new domain. This invloves editing the config file for the forum software.

how long do i wait after pointing the servers to Xisto before i can go and make my account name changed to my new domian. currently my hosted account is under importfury.trap17.com but im getting ready to changes it to estudio9designs.com i already own the name and i have pointed the servers to trap 17 so how long do i wait before i make the name change...here on trap 17

how long do i wait after pointing the servers to Xisto before i can go and make my account name changed to my new domian. currently my hosted account is under importfury.trap17.com but im getting ready to changes it to estudio9designs.com i already own the name and i have pointed the servers to trap 17 so how long do i wait before i make the name change...here on trap 17

Immediately before or after changing the nameservers of your domain, you should change the settings for your website. Then new nameserver change should take full effect within 24-48 hours (in English, come back again tomorrow, and it should be updated). Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)