xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gondero Werkus

Programming Artificial Intelligence oh yeah...

I've been interested in the idea of working with AI later on in my career when I actually get the resources to do so (After college is finished). Does anyone here already know how to program basic AI that might be able to help get me started?

Try searching google of "AI Programming Techniques" and there may be some tutorials. I am just finishing up this semester at college where i am currently enrolled in an AI course. As fun as AI sounds, the concepts and even the implementation really arent very fun. It mostly comes down to graph searching so if you know how to do depth-first, breadth-first, iterative deepening, a*, etc searches then all else you have to learn is how to create efficient heuristics and such. Good luck learning it but i warn you it isnt as fun as it seems.

Well first off what programming language will you be coding in? And what type of AI will this be for? If it's an rpg monster or something you have to make it smart enough to dodge, attack, and know when the right time to attack is. If its pong AI almost all you have to do is make it go for the ball. Please post if its a game, and if it is a game what type/kind of game it is. Pretty sure AI is only for games xD

Well I was thinking along the lines of an intelligent NPC in an MMORPG. When I think about AI whatI envision most about it is "The World" from the dotHack anime series and game series. I would rather put AI to use a in a game rather than make robots that will eventually kill us all >_<.Because what would need done is to make an entire world full of intelligent object to represent the environment and other interactive characters that aren't just scripted. Kind of like what they tried to do with EverQuest 2 and more intelligent monsters.