xisto Community
BooZker

A World Without A Religion?

Do you think the world would be better?  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

tetraca: oh, ok...dreus: too true, I would have written something alike if I had taken the time for it :)you're right with that quote of Marx, though I'd add Lenin's version of it to the thought: "Religion is the opiate for the masses"...--if there is someone among us who does not get the difference between what Marx said and what Lenin said later, I'll be happy to explain it. The difference in the words is small but the difference in the meaning is huge...--

"religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky, and he has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these things he will send you to a place full of fire, and smoke, and burn and torture forever and ever 'till the end of time.... but he loves you. And he needs money." george carlin

"Through the Looking Glass". That poem, "The Walrus and the Carpenter" that's an indictment of organized religion. The walrus, with his girth and his good nature, he obviously represents either Buddha, or... or with his tusk, the Hindu elephant god, Lord Ganesha. That takes care of your Eastern religions. Now the carpenter, which is an obvious reference to Jesus Christ, who was raised a carpenter's son, he represents the Western religions. Now in the poem, what do they do... what do they do? They... They dupe all these oysters into following them and then proceed to shuck and devour the helpless creatures en masse. I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensure the destruction of one's inner-being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions... by inhibiting our decisions, out of... out of fear of some... some intangible parent figure who... who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says... and says, "Do it - Do it and I'll *BLEEP*in' spank you. " from Dogma the movie

it was only a few hundred years ago that the romans thought of zues and other gods to be gods and now they are fairy tale jokes that no one worships.. millions of people worshiped these gods and now they're taught as a history lesson only. the simularitys are endless in all religions. believe in a "god" and do exactly as he says and you will go to a magical place otherwise you will go to another magical place thats really bad.

religion is good as a small form of orginisation, but we don't need a magical creature that no one has ever seen to tell us killing innocent people is wrong.

this really seems to fit from boondock saints rent it, download it whatever just watch it.

Connor: Now you will receive us.Murphy: We do not ask for your poor, or your hungry.
Connor: We do not want your tired and sick.
Murphy: It is your corrupt we claim.
Connor: It is your evil that will be sought by us.
Murphy: With every breath, we shall hunt them down.
Connor: Each day we will spill their blood, 'til it rains down from the skies.
Murphy: Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace.
Connor: These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.
Murphy: There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth, not to push the bounds and cross over, in to true corruption, into our domain.
Connor: For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three, and on that day you will reap it.
Murphy: And we will send you to whatever god you wish.

I've heard mad (large in amount) stories about rapists, killers, and whatnot that converted into a religion, and are now living peaceful lives, no longer hurting anyone, but helping everyone. I wonder what would happen if religion never existed; I can only guess from Biblical past-times: pure chaos.

well if you can lie to people to make them do good things I guess thats good.but can you give a few examples of convicted rapist's that "found god" and moved on to a better crime free life.I havent realy done much research but common sense says if you lie to the parole board and say you've found god they will be more forgiving and shorten your sentence.just wondering how many rapist found god and contibuted something useful to society?and who tells these "mad" stories, thier lawyers? and what kinda crowd do you hang out w/ that knows that many rapist and killers?

Edited by Zabb (see edit history)

I could be wrong, but i'm guessing you don't read up on life stories, on how people find God? Some are very saddening, but the outcome is something to be rejoicing over.

Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

didn't awnser anything. I've heard hundreds of news stories from cnn foxnews NPR radio about people killing and raping people and being sent to prison or let off on some technicality. I've heard pleanty of testimonials on the local christian station of people finding god and bettering thier lives. I personally believe its hope they've found. not god. but when people are desparate for something more religion has always been there.I have a fealing we're about to get off subject.

I remember reading an article on how the news should be watched. For example, they showed a man bleeding, while a soldier stands behind him shouting to an off-camera source, and the story goes on to say that the soldier beat the man. But, then the father of the man argued that that wasn't what really happened. The son was actually saved by that soldier, because the son got mugged and beaten. So, don't trust everything you hear or read in the news.

Well, lets answer them:

[1]just wondering how many rapist found god and contibuted something useful to society?[2]and who tells these "mad" stories, thier lawyers? [3]and what kinda crowd do you hang out w/ that knows that many rapist and killers?

[1]I can't give you the number for each and every single one, but you should really read the stories, and count them yourself.
[2]No. They tell them themselves.
[3]Society? But, it's not just rapists or killers, but prostitutes and more that have converted their ways. Again, you should really read up on the proper stories.

Now, i ask, do you accept these as answers?

That is a great idea, however, it is never going to happen within our lifetimes. On the other hand, though, many great things have through in the form of religion (i.e. Leonardo DaVinci). I myself, am not religious, because my parents are both different religions, and it was awkward for me to "choose" my religion.But, yeah. THat would be great for getting rid of descrimination and many other things associated with religion, but some things associated with religions are good. Maybe some modifications just need to be made to allow science and religion to work together.Final Note:It bothers me how laws are based around religion, too. I believe that if one religion believes something should or shuldn't be allowed, well, let them follow the belief. I don't see why they sould force it upon others, also.

Maybe some modifications just need to be made to allow science and religion to work together.

Actually, science and religion do work together. Science is here to answer the question: "How did God do it?". If it weren't for religion, many things would have probably never have been discovered, or not until some time later; long time later.

Well, lets answer them:
[1]I can't give you the number for each and every single one, but you should really read the stories, and count them yourself.
[2]No. They tell them themselves.
[3]Society? But, it's not just rapists or killers, but prostitutes and more that have converted their ways. Again, you should really read up on the proper stories.

Now, i ask, do you accept these as answers?

1. still not tellin who they are just telling me to look for it. what stories, where are they?
2. refers to 1 who tells it themselves? and if theyre a convicted criminal why should I take thier word for it? I want proof .
3. refer back to your first post it sounded as if you personally knew the people telling the "mad" stories.thats why asked that way.

like I said before people need something to believe in and if they fall for god or another fictional charactor to make them live better lives great. all worship the holy fonz.

@Zabb: It seems like you want me to do the work for you. Usually when people want proof, they get up and search for it. Google is just a click away [click]. But, if you go to church, you may find people telling their stories. Infact, asks the priests, most of them have their stories. If you think all are fake, then prove it. :)