xisto Community
BooZker

A World Without A Religion?

Do you think the world would be better?  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

what does it matter?

What does it matter whether we think the world would be a better, safer place. Jsut because its what you believe doesnt mean it actually will be.

How about you think about all the people who actually enjoy religion. Alot of the time, their religion offers them a meaning in life. And if not a meaning, then something to look foward to. Peoples beliefs give them, or at least let them belive that they have a better understanding of where they will be after life. People feel safer knowing or thinking they know where they will go.

Christianity for example, it gives christians a belief that heaven is perfect, their utopia. At least when they die they can look foward to something. Rather then dieing and not having any idea at all about where youll end up.

Also, everyone has to believe in something. An athiest believes that there is no God. That means that they still believe in something. Its jsut opposite to most religions. An athiest is still in the same boat as budhist and christians. Athiest are still believing something, by believing that there is no God at all. So it would be virtually impossible to have a world without religion.

Religion didnt start the wars, the people did. You cant base the whole war situation on one thing. Hilter didnt go around killing people because of his religion, he was killing people because of what they looked like. Can you blame being judgmental on religions as well?

Religions arnt making people pay out and discriminate other people. Christianity tells people not to judge. Their religion they believe in tells them to acept everyone. And yet they could possibly and often are the most judgmental of all. Is it the religion or the people? people would still be judgmental without religion, its human nature.

What would life be if you didnt believe in anything. What would be the purpose of it? people live to get to where their religion offers them. Budhists are nice to people so that in the next life, they are rewarded. They have something to look foward to, and they have a meaning and purpose to life in the mean time.

Personally, having a world without religion would solve nothing. Cutting out religion isnt going to stop wars. Wars occur for many reasons. Such as one country wanting more land, does that have anything to do with religion? cutting out religion wouldnt solve wars, it would jsut make people try to find other reasons to start them. People with beliefs would be unhappy, as their purpose in life, their meaning of living would be taken away from them. And lastly people wouldnt be anyless judgmental as its human instict to judge, its what we do, with or without religion.

-reply by betty

-----ADMIN opinion... -> One Word -> WOW.

God Bless you. And all. :-)

-Shree

I am forced to say no because of my religion, but if it were my opinion, I would say yes. The world would be more peaceful because people will be afraid to die. Why? This is because they have no reason to believe in an "after life" when they are religion-less. The next reason would be that there will be nobody that will insult you regarding the way you dress, since everybody will be the same.However, I still think every human is the same, no matter what religion they follow.

Edited by Albee1337 (see edit history)

It

Replying to BooZker

Well, I personally think it's the followers who simplifying, or using *God's word* politically. I don't even understand why chritianity today claims that there are just 4 *true* books, there were more. Go to google and type in the search box jesus vs jeezus

-reply by Casplang

I've got an assessment at school on the topic what would the world be like without religion soon, and there are too many ways to list, but I was thinking if there was no religion then know one would know about it and no-one would care about it. I think there would be more wars, yes lots of wars are start by religion but if it didn't exist there might be wars about a lot more other things for example what clothes we wore and discrimination about the colour of skin and eyes and hair. Would there be philosophy and ethics and would ethics be different like what we could and couldn't do? Clothes and laws would be different. Would marriages exist? Yes, a lot of things would be different but we wouldn't exactly know about them because it wouldn't exist! If you see what I'm saying? -reply by Funkytownhero

i'm personally christian but i don't live my life in a christian way. i believe in god but i don't go to church every sunday and bring a bible wherever i go. i think reliegion shouldn't try and explain the world like how the world came to be i think christianity should teach us how to be nice and caring and how to live on the right side of god. i think a world without religion wouldn't be good. wars are caused by many religions if everyone could be christian or athiest then there wouldn't really be wars caused by religion. but religious wars is old stuff now. how about the vietnam war, how about the fauklands island war, the world wars! we hated the nazis because they invaded poland not because of what religion they were - they were christian anyways.

um...................................

Replying to iGuest

I am a christian too the bible teaches to avoid wars,anger and punishment, like other holy books. Gandhi(hindu I think?!?!) taught how to live your life peacefully with peaceful protests and stuff like that,and everyone knows he was a good man so why take away religion with such great role models as this? Martin Luther King, why did he diserve to die? the world would be so different if it weren't for him showing courage and faith, showing the world how stupid and unkind we were-simply because of the colour of someones skin???if religion had never existed, there would be so much rascism, sin, controversy etc. The world would end up argueing over the new belief in posh and bex etc. People wouldn't have the same kindness, faith, will to live if there weren't any religions. If there had never been a religion then the world (might!) have been a better place, but since thats not posssible, you cant change it. If you took religion away now, all sorts of horrible things would happen. You've seen the terrorist attacks, down to jealousy and their faiths, think of what awful things could happen people are willing to die for their own beliefs? the whole world would blow up. If only we could get rid of jealousy/racism then we'd be fine but some people can't change-its never gona happen so you just better get used to it. If everyone is the same (which believe) then why are people still bebing sooo nasty to others? the world would not be a better place without religion and if you can't see why, just take a look at the church down your road, the mosque up the hill, the synagogue in town, look at the effort people take into getting you to belive in their religion-thats faith, thats family and friends, thats your community, thats happieness. Then you look at the parks and alleyways around where you live, where the druggies and drunks hang out after hours, thats the way our world would end up without religion. Its reality and I'm sorry for that. Anyone can be religious-there is no limit, no costs, no problems, you have yourself, your faith and your God (s)

-reply by funkymonkeyy

Replying to BooZker

Human nature is to love and rely on each other, its natural instinct. Religion adds hate and fear in people. We need to all love each other and move forward to discover and enjoy life because once where dead we are gone NOTHING else to it. There is no God no Heaven, Hell, or Santa Clause. We all live in a Universe that is only a microscopic bubble in an ocean also known as Parallel Universes.

-reply by Armond

Insane HumansA World Without A Religion?

Myra McDonald is confused in her comment. Since last 60 years of creation of pakistan it has only caused bloodshed in the name of Islam. Just because they attack India, no one cares. There are 160 million people in pakistan and in sixty years the attitude of government or their people has not changed. How can terrorism exist in pakistan if people are good. Secondly if there was 9/11 in states and no attack in London, they would have never woke up to India's problem.If USA would have never paid pakis, that would have been better for the world. Pakistan is the centre of Islamic world and its ideology is to kill non islamic people no matter what economic condition they themselves have to go through. You are talking about 160 Million people, of those millions run on the road against non islamic countries. They hate you and me as much, just that you live far from their hatered and do not feel the burn, your emotions and decesions differs. I wish pakistan was close to EU and USA. Then as an Indian I would have felt less heat and might be talking like you.

-reply by Manoj

Yes the world would be a better place without religion.I know many people argue that?Religion gives people comfort, hope and something to believe in' Another argument is that religion provides a reason to do things and a purpose for people to fulfill, or that religious teachings help us make more morally correct decisions etc etc"I am athiest and I do not believe in God so from my point of view, Religions are merely beliefs and nothing more.So many of the world's problems are caused by religion.I'm not saying Religion is BAD. One religion alone cannot cause problems but it is the CLASH of religions that is causing the world problems. and it's not the specific teachings of any religion either (most religious teachings are moral and about hope, faith, peace etc) but for some reason these teachings bring out the worst in SOME people (the extremists)It seems that religion in recent years has become a building block for differences instead of common faith hope and so on.If there were a way to fix the clash of 'organizations' so to speak, the idea of religion would actually be very beneficial. However, in the world's current condition, religion in the grand scheme of things is causing alot of problems.

Yes. World without religion will be a best place to be. Because these days people with spirituality and cognitive thinking are claiming that "Science and Spirituality" should go hand in hand and blah blah. Why? Because they want to preserve their faith. Any faith with extreme views leads to violence so in turn every religion will have second face of terrorism/insecurity etc. People with spirituality will in future replace religious people and will try to modify science to make it something like "Pseudo-science". I'm sure even spiritualists will make science in favor of almighty galactus :) . It's hard to be in world which makes every conclusion as "almighty and its favor". So World without religion will be a better place.

Religion is just another weaponA World Without A Religion?

I see it like this,  religions have all been created for no other reason than to be used as a weapon. To control people, to install fear into their followers.  Throughout history the worlds leaders have all been massively religious, surely no one sees this as a coincidence. The whole and only reason they are the leaders is because they have used religion to put themselves there. This is quite understandable back in the day when we knew no better, who ever wanted to lead needed to create a weapon that would put the same fear into people as todays nuclear weapons, we as a race had no understanding of where we came from or what made us so as soon as some one gave an explanation we believed and religion was born.

What seems crazy to me is that in this day and age, where technology and science are so much more advanced and has been able to provide the true answers to the questions of our existance people are still being led and controlled by religion.

adam

So one day my friend went on facebook and started a new group, I haven't joined this group because I don't do facebook i feel its boring and I like myspace more because you can custimize every aspect with html and so on, but I digress...

My Friend's facebook group was called Atheists for Christ, and you joined if you fell into both of these categories:

1) You don't believe in any God (Atheist)

2) You believe that the idea of Christianity ( or any major organized religion) is good for society...

I believe that MOST people are inately selfish meaning they do what benifits them, regardless of the benifit of others and that religions such as Christianity teach morals that otherwise would be completely ignored...

Example: The Milgram Experiment, conducted at Yale by the university psychologist Stanley Milgram would place a person (Mr T) in a room with a button that would administer a shock to a person in the adjacent room (could be heard but not seen, we'll call him Mr L). Mr L, who was not actually being shocked but acting from a script, was asked a series of questions, and with each wrong answer, Mr T was to press the button administering a shock, each shock would be 15 volts more than the previous... Anyways, over 60% of the particapants(mr Ts) in the initial study, were willing to press the button up to the maximum 150 volts, all the while hearing the screams of Mr L.

Wikipedia does a much better job of describing the experiment and you can find the article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

i'm not saying all the participants were Atheists, but even if a majority of participants were faithful, think about ho much worse they would be willing to do if faced with real life situations where they can see the people being harmed by their selfish choices... I don't agree with the origins people believe we come from but I can't say i agree they cause more harm than good in TODAY'S society...

and a final note, the originator of the topic mentioned religion being the reason for USA being created from war is far from the truth...
-While their were plenty of migrators from Britain seeking refuge from religious persicution, a majority of settlers came as a result of failed (or successful) settlements aided by the British Parliament.
- The British Parliament gave aid in hopes of expanding their empire, and reaping the benifits of a new Economy.
- The American Revolution came about when these new colonies were being ruled over with out any form of fir representation, The british Parliament was imposing tariffs and taxes on these colonists, without giving them any representation in Parliament. (Ex: Stamp Act, Tea Tax)
- These unfair taxes coupled with a few unfortunate skirmishes between the British military and irate colinists, skirmishes like the Boston Massacre, led to the eventual revolution...

I just wanted to point out that THIS war was not directly caused by religion, i understand many have been though =)... Carry on...

I think that the world needs religion. Although it causes issues with people, it also resolves a lot more issues that we would have.Religion is what keeps the world as 'safe' as it is, although it's pretty bad, it isn't as bad as it could be.Religion is also used for making moral decisions, and it also has a lot of influence in shaping ethical behavior.So yes, I think we need religion.

A world without religion?Now I have john lennon's song imagine, ringing in my head. Maybe the world would be a better place without it. no wars no taking the lord's name in vain. Or would it be a better place? who or what would we do on the days we go to church or temple? Who would we talk to in thoughs deep dark days in dispaire? I think Yes We need Religion in this world. I mean if we didnt? what would we have anyways. nothing. with Religoin we all have our faith in that higher power we all believe in.

Religion is a great tool for conformity, but if people choose to live their life down that path it's upto them I guess. Wars I'm sure would still happen. Religion gets used as an excuse nearly every time because its effective in so many different ways but if it didn't exist the leaders or groups who launch aggressive attacks on others would simply find another reason.It's sort of ironic, that the people who use religion as an excuse to kill others profess a deep understanding of their faith but in reality, they have very little understanding of it at all.In conclusion I don't think the world would be a much different place than what it is today without religion.