xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spy_charly

Something Strange From Lycos

Hello guys!, i hope this might be interested for you as it caused me a lot of problems. Before i got an account from Xisto i used to have one from http://lygo.com/ly/sitemissing.html, it was a free hosting account, so i received a ftp account, a web access account and a web access account for php-myadmin.Strangely you could upload everything with any size, although the page said you could only upload files with no more than 300 kb per upload the real thing was that you could upload file of any size, actually once i oploaded an 1.5MB exe and the server didnt delete it or break the upload.After some days of being registered in there i realized that my computer starts to run slower than normal and many of the exes were considered as non 32bit compatible...it was the time to investigate what was happening, so i start to look for strange things on my pc and found a "dl.exe" and i opened it with Notepad, the xex, wasnt a real exe, it was just a copule of lines of JavaScript that connected to utenti.lycos.it, and downloaded much more things, and after a copule of days investigating i read it was a virus that sends itself as to random IPs. The virus infects every exe so you can't really do much with your pc, it can infects even the antivirus, beacuse it is an exe, the only solution was to delete everything and start from zero, why i didn`t save anything?? because every exe could be a possible infected file.It can also cath passwords and important stuff so watch out when going to lycos.

Thanks. Wow, you know, my computer also went haywire when I got a Lycos account. Maybe?.... I had used it, I haven't been on my account since on this new computer, and after this, I don't think I want to get on it. Thanks for the updates. I will edit my pages using the library computer or something. I wonder how it picked up your IP though. Hmm. Oh well, thanks for the info. Bye bye Lycos.

That's pretty wierd. I wonder if someone hacked Lycos? Did you ever try to access the file that you uploaded or was it just something you wanted for storage on there or something? Hehe, we could say that this is another reason why Trap is the best.

if lycos is actively sending virusses to infect exe files and spy on people then they are in breach of coimputer laws and could be brought down...although the practicality is does anyone have the time and money to do that? no :)Ive never heard of this before and i used a lycos free account once but i never had any problems possibly because i never uploaded anything other than html and php files and much less than 300kb. maybe they use that to track suspected hacjers trying to uplaod virusses and such?But its a good enough reason for me not to log in to my account again. ill keep an eye out for that exe file though, can you remember what directory/folder it was in so i can look easier? maybe it goes into the same directory every time. if i do have it ithink ill be emailing lycos about it.Thanks for letting us know.

Yeah, I really dislike Lycos. I was almost hacked many times with exes people have put in my FTP folder. There are tons of "hack lycos" websites everywhere with ways to sql inject in their database. I wouldn't and won't use it ever again.

Yes i had Spyware infect my lycos before. I deleted that bad boy right away lol. But had alittle troubler becuase it wanted to keep creating itself so i went in to the prefetch and found the recreate file. Oh well it got deleted. Lost a chance to fight a virus lol. But i just fought of a w32.Dasm without virus protection lol.