xisto Community
barnes

Installing Linux On An Ipod Ipod Linux Simple Tutorial.

Better Then Apple OS?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Putting linux on nano's are fun because once linux is installed on it, you have the choice of three different GUI's. (Podzilla, Floydzilla, and Podzilla2). Also Floyd2illa came out recently so you could put that on there too. Check into the "bluelauncher" (or something around that name). Its not a bootloader, but a GUI selector. Works great and MPD works on the nano too :)

I doubt it, I'm sure you can just go back and restore and they'd have no idea it was ever on there.

Yup if you go to the iPodLinux forums, you'll find threads that say the same thing. Just reformat it using the tool that apple made and they'll never know. It's like their telling you to put linux on there :)

Lol that's really nice, using an ipod as a Personal Digital Assistant... However, I don't think this is 100 percent legal, I mean, those machines aren't made to run another Operating System than the manufacterer installed on it..

Lol that's really nice, using an ipod as a Personal Digital Assistant... However, I don't think this is 100 percent legal, I mean, those machines aren't made to run another Operating System than the manufacterer installed on it..

Its like putting Linux on a windows pc. Its not illegal, its just... expanding your possibilities :) . I don't think this is what they intended their use of an ipod for, but its definately not wrong. If something goes wrong or you don't like it, restore your ipod and you can be happy with the OK apple firmware.

Its like putting Linux on a windows pc. Its not illegal, its just... expanding your possibilities :) . I don't think this is what they intended their use of an ipod for, but its definately not wrong.

Well put. Its nice to see my thread go to 3 pages. If there is any more questions, just ask me.

This is very neat I'll look in to it to dab you cant do something like this onea 2.70 psp. Now that would own.

On a 1.5 or 2.0 PSP how ever, its very simple to do! I'm playing lots of home made games on my PSP now.

looks interesting guys... i personally dont have an iPod but i would like to have one now hehe, now what i see is that the project is supporting officially just the first generations, that's good i mean the team core achieved to hack the iPod but where could i find an iPod from the first generations at these times?The iPod nano is not fully supported according to what i read but it is supported?!? something wierd i have to admit, in the supported nano list, later versions are marked as not supported but many users have installed the package and say iPod nano can handle it.In my opinion they should provide support for later versions since it seems a very good option for buying an iPod these days. Playing video, games and what else i think personal developed applications can be injected into the iPod is better than just playing music, i want my "pocket pc" hehehe in a smaller way and not just another mp3 player.Games he? yep that rocks! doesn't matter if it is doom, pac-mac, tetris or asteroids?!? as soons as the game be adictive, any way i'll try to see what else is behind the scenes and decide myself to buy or not an iPod

iPodLinux will run on all versions of iPods. I've put it on my 5th gen and my Nano. I've also read that the 3rd Gen has a secret line out recording built in thats only avalible throught iPL.Games are fun, but kill the battery very quickly.

I just tried it and my iPod is now broken.. There was an error in the middle of the extraction, and now my iPod isn't being recognised by my computer. None of the commands you listed are working, either. I'm going to wait and see what happens once the battery dies, and then update this post later.

Did the install go through? Can you boot into disk mode? This is the firsrt time I have heard this, and I am bent on fixxing it.Just try and boot into disk mode. Once your in disk mode your computer will recognize it. If your not in disk mode, it won't. Try over and over until you see the godly disk mode screen. I had a problem and it turned out I was just not hitting the right keys. This was when I first tried it.If you want more help, you can IM me on AIM, sn; nokiill nobeep

I've tried all of the commands and all that. I'm troubleshooting in the iPodLinux forums now. If you want to read the topic that I made go here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I hope I can get it fixed, but if not, oh well. My CD player is getting a little dusty anyway.