xisto Community
barnes

Installing Linux On An Ipod Ipod Linux Simple Tutorial.

Better Then Apple OS?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow thats amazing lol. So what your trying too tell me is that I got ripped of buying a gigabeat! :ranting:Arghh. So you can actully watch vids on it? he he, whatever nano holds only 100songs gigabeat hold 2500 songs he he. I don't care about videos. It's called a tv!

i like ipod linux, and i am a linux fan but most people would not do this to a video ipod because it already plays videos. So the next choice to put ipod linux on is an ipod nano, but the nano only offers up to 4 gigs. that is not suffiecient enough for someone that wants to use the nano like the ipod video. Though i am sure some hackers and hobbiests will enjoy it.

Edited by amir691 (see edit history)

hey all juts a qucik update on this one you cna now download the installer 2 which will install all the stuff you need to run ipod linux on any ipod exept the shuffle for obvious reasons, if you go to the ipod linux dot org site its all there along with many other thign and helpful information,keep ipod linux going and help them out by installing it on your ipod, im just doing it now as we speak on my 5g video ipod so wish me luck and all update you all on my prgress later, hopefully it will go swimmingly but we weill have tos ee, anyways hope this has helped a few of you with any problems and such, on the site you can download loads of new games and modules and loads of themes to add a little spice to ipod linux, its wicked keep up all the good work and thanks guys for everything!!!

IPod linux is so slow on mine. It is cool that i can look at photos on my iPod that is in black and white, but i would rather have speed then "coolness" It would also freeze all the time. I couldnt even lay some songs" I know i set it up right though. So i just uninstalled it and my iPod was as good as new and fast again. Thats why i don't like it. If i could get it to go faster and not freeze it would be awesome.

well i am very pleased to say that i sucsesfully installed ipod linux on my 5g ipod video and it worked brilliantly until i say until i plugged it into the computer to laod my songs back onto the ipod and bum bum bum it has all gone wrong nooooooooooooooooo my ocmputer did not reconise the ipod and it sayed no ipod connected?so i tryed and tryed but what ever i did it just did not respond so i have had to uninstall linux regretfully because when it was working it rocked **bottom**, but sadly it juts wasnt to be, because without the apple ipod software woprking there is no point in me having a ipod because most of the time i listen to music and used linux to show off, oww no its still not working, so anyone with anyideas on what could be going wrong i wouldbe most grateful, i cant work out what is wrong with it, i need to laod the songs and videos on the ipod through itunes, any ways thanks for the help guys and i hope that someone responds soon.

i just ahd another little go and it still doesnt work any help on this problem would be grately needed, thanks for all the help guys and i hope to hear back sson, if you know what the problem is with my ipod or my linux instalationa nd how i can resolve this porblem then please drop me a little PM, thanks guys and i hope to be hearing form someone out there soon,, thanks guys and agian see ya later for a result as soon as possible

at first i wasn't positive that i should do it because it was VERY risky. i have a 30gig video. lol they cost like $400 so i didnt wanna screw it up. after all these people saying it works though, i think i'll do it. i just want the extra games and the fonts.

But its not risky at all. Imagine how many people that installed it all over the world, and compare it to the number of bricked iPods (0.) Infact, the only thing your risking is the files on it already.

yeah i got mine workin finally and it totally rocks it takes a while to load but i did install every package or module available, but it does wokr you just gotta keep trying, but when tou restore use the program that apple gives you becaue then if soemthign goes wrong you cna just say i used your program to reset it and they will be none the wiser, but if you unistall and try to rreinstall re downlaod the auto installer because that was what was corrupting my installation and now it works fine, and all my mates with nanos are liek dude how u do that show me do my and all this and im like uhh no its all mine, but im gonna do my best mates nano sone so i will post again when ive doen that!! good luck to everyone with their installs and i recommend it because its fun, you just gotta love the lost countdown clokc and features liek that, there is one major problem with teh 5g ipod video module list you cant install doom which is a bit annoying but all the other packages make up for this loss kinda, but any ways as i said good lucka nd have fun with ipod linux because its totally cool, nice job boys

Just look around on the forums there (ipodlinux.org/forums) and you're almost guarnteed to find a tutorial there. Almost all models are working except for the shuffle (guess why :rolleyes: ). I like it, the only bad thing MPD (the Music Player Daemon) doesn't work for a 5g video ipod, but if you have any other kind it'll work

awsome idk u could do this

I'm not sure if it was already mentioned in this thread, but there's second alternative firmware existing for the iPod. It's called rockbox and can be found here: http://www.rockbox.org/

It's main aim is the to deliver the best sound quality you MP3 Player can give you, but there are also other features, application, games and so on. You can even make your one "deskopt themes" :rolleyes: I also like the GameBoy Emulator, that makes you able to play every game that was released for the GameBoy on the iPod.

It's just beta for iPod by now, but I'm already using it since over 4 months and it worked very fine. There are also daily updates for it.

Linux is good Operating SYstem...it can be used (some of) on every device that have storage and display..even Sony PS2 could have Linux system inside the machine.