xisto Community
JC05

Strange Thing Happened To My Computer

it is less likely that a virus caused that.. lol.. unless someone is good enough to program something that could alter the electrical flows on your motherboard or something and fried it. lolWell, a most likely reason for that is probably your CPU is overheated. If your computer is a AMD based, it will freeze when the CPU is overheated to prevent damage to your cpu. On the other hand, Intel chips usually automatically downclock the cpu to reduce the heat, that's why some user might experience their computer lagging or computer resource shot up really high. My best advice is to increase the air circulation in your computer by installing more fans or replace the CPU heatsink with a more powerful one. by the way, for most Intel pentium 4 chips, the maximum temperture the processor could reach before getting fried is 76 degree C. You should try to install those system monitor program to check your CPU temperature.

That's not very helpful advice.My computer did do that once. Unplugging it didn't work. Turns out I had to turn off all electricity for the computer circuit from the fuse box.It was a complete power drainage from the PowerBar that caused it to restart.Anyways, thanks for the tip. It might help others.

i had the same problem a while ago. that wa before my PSU blew out in my face and i got it replaced. my pcs been fine since then, never freezes, never have to unplug the power cord or anythng. i'm think ur problem is related to ur power supply aswell, u should get it checked out or rpelaced. it might not have be because ur lacking the power needed for ur pc as someone said, because i had a 450w PSU before and now its only a 400w and works fine. who know, computers can be a real mystery.

It is still not a smart idea to do things like that it could easily give virus.

I really hope you aren't talking about unplugging it. You can't get a virus by unplugging the computer, the restart might wake it up, but the virus won't for if the coputer is unplugged. For a real world metaphore: A telemarketer CAN'T call you if all your phones are turned off/unplugged. Same concept if you format your HDD, install windows and never insert forign media (CD, Floppy Disk, Flash card, ect.) and never go online (or connect to a network), you won't get a virus, you also won't get much use from your computer, just Hearts, Solitare, Paint and notepad. Edited by moldboy (see edit history)

Well, this hasn't happend in a while so I dont know what the thing is up to. I have a dell demension 3000. intel celeron. And a couple upgrades. so maybe the power that is the problem. Don't know though. I will probly sell it before it goes nuts. Or junk it. OR, just upgrade to a monster. But i would like to get a notebook sometime for college. Thanks all again!

I don't know how Ironic this is but I just had the exact same thing happen. Diffrence is a simple unplug didn't fix it, I had the entire computer gutted, and when I put it back together It worked. I think after I unplugged the motherboard is when it worked.

Why would that fix it though? Did it erase everthing on there or something? I think i have had enough with the old technology of this computer. I'm getting a new one. As far as the problem with the power supply goes, i'm not sure what is going on there.

You said the power light is off when the computer freezes? I'm suspecting that you've not got enough power for your system. Check your power supply and upgrade it if needed. You may need to calculate the total watts needed for all the devices in your computer. You may need an electronic engineer for help in detail.

well. this happend to me....i thought it was the power cable to my hard drive...so i just opened up the computer jiggled it around and it worked after that.....if none of these people help you try http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ they are very good with problems.....hope this helps!

There are usually two main causes to this kind of a problem. One would be something simple as a loose cable and two it could mean that your power supply is on it way out / defective. It you have this problem more than a couple time it is most likely the power supply. Oh and one word of advise , when you have a problem with a computer dont panic , take it easy. Usually it is something simple and many people go crazy with a problem such as a loose cable or you hit the power button by accident.

Hello it might be like that if you have upgraded your hardware any time soon that you have forgotten to check whether it is your hole system gaining enough power so I butter calculate how much power your system is gaining and whther your power supply can come up with it.