xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

Several Computers On Dial Up At Once? Please help

Hey guys. I was looking at a way to run several computers on one Internet connection (Dial-up) at the same time. One problem, I can't find anything. So I turned to trusty 'ol Xisto to help me out. I need a way to run several computers off of one dial-up connection without having to use networking, where one computer connects, and the rest use it's connection. I need a device that will allow me to connect several computer by themselves, or if needed, once one computer connects, let another join in without using the computer already connected. I know, strange. Have you seen the ones where you can run a phone, fax and Internet at the same time? Where would I get one, and would it work for what I am talking about here? Please help.I tried to ask people at Best Buy, and they said to get a router that will allow me to connect one computer, which is base, and then the others can run off of it. I don't want a base computer that has to be connected, I want it so I can plug in a phone jack, and then it splits and the device is the base and each computer connects by itself. Thanks if you can help!

WILD20 Is that you?... From Jxsdesigns.info?... Hi I am the guy named icekeyboard there lolHmm... I am not sure how to deal with that internet thing... Try a router that might work since I use it for splitting my comp internet and stuff

Edited by Desktop (see edit history)

I figured out how to use 1 network cable to run 2 network connections--because today's standard Cat5e still uses 4 out of 8 wires.But the dial-up is different. Once an omh is dropped (this signals the phone company that your phone is now connected to telex--the telephone automated routing system) only one connection is allowed per "complete circuit" until the dial tone is revived. This basically means that when you hear the dial tone and send the tone to dial to some place, the telex connects to the remote place and that's it. When another connection is attempting to use the same phone line to make the connection, since the dial tone is not present the secondary connection device will not connect to anything. This method was devised by AT&T (and for all those old alt 2600 hackers out there "At The dial Tone" Free Ben!) who set the dial tone command for modem standard.There was an article where you can rewrite Linksys router CMOS to run linux. Then, you can command a router to connect on demand with preset number and password. And when anytime any computer connect to this router wanted to go to the internet, the router will execute the command to dial out.So, in a sense, each computer can actually use independent connection method and have all computers access the internet because the router will handle the gateway.Let me see if I can still find that article. But for your information, connecting to internet with serveral computers using dial up is never a good idea (unless you really, really want it to happen).

hmm.. bafflohelp.. so are you saying that you can config the router to be used as a modem to connect to a internet using a cat 5 cable? well, one question. .if you have a router ... why not just use the old and simple way to cconnect to the internet with one computer and share them. Unless electricity is your concern. well.. bafflohelp, hope you could find the article, i would like to try and do that too.

I need a device that will allow me to connect several computer by themselves, or if needed, once one computer connects, let another join in without using the computer already connected

The topic starter wanted connection by themselves. So which I understood as "independent" connection rather than dependent connection. Which means, you do not have to have "A" computer dial out, and the rest can, then, connect to the internet using a router. By having router to dial out on demand, you can have "B" or "C" computer to be connected without the aide of "A" computer.

hmm.. bafflohelp.. so are you saying that you can config the router to be used as a modem to connect to a internet using a cat 5 cable?

Just so that there's no confusion, this is how I was trying to explain:
<---[dialer]---[router] 				 |-------[computer 1]				 |-------[computer 2]				 |-------[computer 3]
etc...

Router contains a simple instruction to trigger the "dialer" to dial out with specific command. The trick is finding a router with either serial connection or dialer with USB connection. Some external modems used to support this feature but with advancement of today's ISP, I'm not sure if you can even find an external modem.

Okay thanks. Is it possible to take a router and make it dial by itself, then send info as requested by the Computers go to a certain place? This way the router would dial, use the one connection, and then send info as requested to computers. Is it possible?

Since we're speaking strictly with dial-up system here, a router cannot function as an external modem because 1) I have not seen it 2) I do not believe anyone has ever made such.If you do find a router that can connect to a phone jack and act as an external modem, then the answer is yes. Routers are amazing that way. However, as far as United States' hardware specifiction goes a router is a router and only connects via USB or Ethernet. Which means, you will need an external modem to "handle" or "handshake" with the transmittion and let a router handle the multiple connectivity.

Hmm. That is too bad. I was hoping there was a device that would connect by itself. But I guess you need something else. I should invent that. as a matter of fact, look for it in the Ideas area! Seriously, I think someone should come up with it so you can have several computers connect all at once without having to network your computers. Then they could retreive the info from the "device". If anyone does know of anything like that, please tell me. Thanks!

You always make a router yourself with freesco.

You only need on old computer like a 386 , 486 or P1 (or higher).
Build a modem in that computer and 1 network card connected to a switch (or hub).
And your network is build.

The router can do an automatic dial-up when somebody asks an internet page.
After a defined time out the connections automatic disconnects.

When you later have a broadband connection you can reuse the router, but it requeres at least a P1 200 then.

more info can be fount on the site http://www.freesco.org/
I have seen aslo routers that have a ISDN dialup connection , but with PSTN I haven't seen it yet.