xisto Community
noxit

Which Graphic designing software are you using?

Well like everyone i use Photoshop for image editing, flash or Corel Draw for vectors and for 3d graphics Softimage XSI, great piece of software, to bad they got bought by Autodesk (now they have everything), for rendering i use maxwell and vray. Oh almost forgot one of my favorites, Zbrush for some modeling but basically for displacement maps.

As for the graphics software that I currently use is Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended, which I happen to get a couple of weeks ago and so far I enjoy it quite a lot. I previously used Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended for my graphics needs and it was quite a package to used for my graphics making needs.

I'm not much of a graphics designer, I don't do much photo editing. When I need to edit a photo or create a new sig/banner/thingy I just use GIMP.It's a really nice program and since I know how to use it and I'm too lazy to change. Oh and did I mention I don't have 500 bucks to buy photoshop and I wouldn't even if I had 500$. Probably most of you guys have just downloaded some pirated version of it(Didn't know I knew, did ya? :P).

Photoshop is Much familiar for most of users.

Photoshop can design much more
so i use Photoshop cs2 and Imageready for Gifs, web graphics simple flash animation too.
Corel draw is easy software for designing logos.
Pagemaker is easy for newspapers.

But My still vote to Photoshop.

I use Photoshop, although I don't do much graphical editing.I'm still very new to it, and so I really just use it for making layover colors(like coloring part of a map green for example) or text additions.I did try GIMP, but I found that significantly harder to use. And sadly Paint doesn't offer the "layer" support I need.

I like Adobe Photoshop CS4. Been trying Macromedia Dreamweaver, for my sites, but still trying to get the hang of it. Thank God there are lots of awesome tutorials out there. And learning flash as well... Was testing Macromedia Flash but a lot of the tutorials use Adobe Flash.Would you have any idea if there's much difference in the flash softwares between Macromedia and Adoba?

Im currently using Corel Draw X4, the Gimp and Blender. Although lately i have been finding Corel Draw X4 lacking in areas whereas Illustrator really shines. One great thing about Corel Draw X4 is if your a newb to it, there is an option to switch its layout similar to Illustrator. For better control over gradients and gradient meshes Illustrator is superior. Likewise illustrator has far better brushes to select from. If you go by the adage "You get what you pay for", then you'll find that this definitely applies here. The only strengths i can see that CorelDraw has over Illustrator is some of the bezier curve tools. It has some interesting options for this, but then again Illustrator gives you all what you "need". Another strength with CorelDraw is it has incredibly detailed accuracy for print work. For raster images i use the Gimp only because i dont need the extra features that Photoshop has (at the moment). I dont bother with Corel PhotoPaint X4 because i dont see many strengths. Although Paintshop Pro is a useful tool and has unique way of rendering and resizing pixels, in the past i used it just for that quality alone. QuarkExpress is the standard for layout print work, but i never got into that much as it has no use for web work. The freely available Xara Xtreme (on linux) is and excellent performing vector software but it doesnt contain all the features required from such software. It also has some inconsistencies that leave you scratching your head (saving files can be tricky sometimes for example). Although there is a pay for version available on windows but i cant comment on that as i haven't used it. 3D Studio Max is ofcourse very usefull for its intended purpose. But for 3D Modeling Maya is the choice to go by as far as im concerned (maybe Houdini), it allows you to work incredibly quick and its modelling features (particularly with NURBS and Sub'd's) are very usefull. It's standard renderer and also Mental Ray do a good job, but for the best apparently you can't go past RenderMan. SoftImage XSI is a good for modelling and also rendering but I cant elaborate too much, as i havn't spent enough time with it. After Effects is very good reasonably "accessible" software for compositing. Great for anything most poeple would do. Autodesk combustion is another reasonably priced one although i havn't used it. If you want to get into movie production for AutoDesk Discreet Inferno + system you'll be looking at 400k+ ! Apparently at the college i used to go to they had an AutoDesk Discreet Flame "in the basement" this is a lesser product then Inferno, but still at the 200k+ mark. I never got the opportunity to use it unfortunately.