xisto Community
ljiljana

Business And Friends In busness with friends, yes, or no?

Some people are so good friend to you until they going to have business with you, to work some job with you. Than you will see scenes,no understanding and it seems to be that good friends is disappeared. Why is that?

thats beacouse people like to use each other, not to help each other...but i have a few good friends that help me out allways...in fact! one guy and I hate each other, but still we work together in web-design...<_<

Working with friends can ruin a relationship. It can be like working with your wife. When your together too much you will notice everything that will bother you about them. Thats not good for work or anything for that matter. If you think about it. Working with your friends can be hard because if you have to leaders one isn't going to want to follow the other.

I don't know about you guys, but here in the Philippines business actually blooms when the business partners are good friends. and when you don't have a job yet, you can find a good job thought your friends. networking works most of the time when finding a job. but not the think like you say that a person is just using the other.

running a business with friends can be good or bad.if you consider someone a friend, then working togethercan be a real test of your friendship because you maystart noticing things about the other you never knewbefore during your "regular" friendship. your friendshipcan either get stronger or just break down dependingon how you handle the new discoveries you makeabout the other person.it is similar to living together with your girl/boyfriendor getting married. if you discover things about theother person which you cannot accept, it will put astrain on your relationship, if you cannot resolve it.now, whether you can resolve things depends verymuch on the character and personalities of the partners.just my 0.02 from my own experiences.

I think the main factor why running business with friend can result a disaster is lack of clear commitment and agreement made at the start of the business. and the reason of this is friendship itself.... if every right and responsibility is clearly stated on the business' agreement, then there should be no problem would ruin the business because of friendship status amongst the partnership.

I was just thinking about starting a venture and having some internet folks from all over the world involved. I am not too sure if this is a good idea as they may take advantage and claim to own the business! lol!You see...the problem i hav is that of finding other people who can amange a site with me and have us do some real work. I've had to work alone for most part of my early career...im 19 right now. Once took in some friends but it went sour after a few days.Are people on the internet that much to be trusted?

The reason that friends become enemies when it comes to going into business is that there is no true equality. The person who does most of the work(even though they may just think they do more work) will want a higher percent of the profit. The other person feels betrayed.To break it into a theoretical situation, think about it like this.--------Start------John and Bob go into business together. They decide to start up a new web design business.So in this, they split the cost of start-up 50/50. This makes it equal between the two.Now in terms of the jobs, John is in charge of all the coding, whereas Bob is in charge of finding clients and doing graphical work(for the sake of the story, assume that the coding is equal to both client searching and graphics).After a few years, their business starts booming, now pulling in $900k a year in profit! Obviously, this is a huge chunk of money.So John breaks down and says "I do all of the coding, and all you do is graphics and client issues, so I want 60%, as I feel that's how much of the work I do." Bob says "Coding is much easier than everything I do, I want 65% of our profit!"And this is where it goes downhill. Both sides are too tied up with themselves to care about the business, or their partner. -------End Story--------Now, this won't and doesn't happen to all friends who go into business, but based on what I've heard it's a pretty common situation.A more recent scenario I know of personally were two guys who started a game hosting site, taking in donations. One did all of the coding, the other paid 100% of the dataserver/server costs($600 a month plus the $18k server). They planned on using all of the donations to just pay for hosting, until after 7 months they were bringing in over $20k a month in pure donations. Less than 3 months later one of them went into their joint account and stole most of the money, as he felt it was his. So it turned into an argument over who deserves most of it. Their argument was this:Coder - Felt he did all of the real work. Without his coding and work on the server, it never would have gotten as big as it didServer Owner - Felt he needed most of it, since he put down almost $20k in a RISK in order to try getting a gaming community goingIt ended up with the coder stealing the hardware as well, and they are now in a legal battle. Two best friends are now worst enemies.So I guess what I'm trying to say is...No matter how good of friends you are with someone, make sure you are very cautious if you go into business with them. "Money is the root of all evil." If nothing else, look at the business venture as being not only a risk in terms of finances, but friendships as well.(Please keep in mind that I'm not saying don't do it, I'm merely explaining what can, and often does, happen in these situations.)

I'm in a business/work situation with a friend that isn't working out. I'm tired of waiting for my money, like I was a contractor, and then getting paid labors wages. Our work is sporadic at best. So it is hard to make ends meet in between jobs. So I can relate to what this thread is talking about. And I think it stinks. I don't think we'd be as good of friends if it weren't for the work we do together. We have spent a lot of time together over the years. He has eluded to the fact that he has done different jobs in the past by himself. Well as of late I have been making some changes. I'm going to a job fair next Tuesday. I'm tired of this life style. I'm going to get a real job with benefits.

Dear friend I think if you want to sustain well with your friendship then you should avoid money matters with them. I have many a times experienced that some of my best friends are not my friends now just due to this money matters and partnership business etc. Obviously many are successfull in their ventures and thats due to the reason that they are really very patient and if you have lots and lots of patience then only you be successful in such ventures. Otherwise it will end in a vein.?

It's always difficult going from a "friendship" type relationship to a "friendship AND business" type relationship, because everything changes. You need to start tackling all these issues about organization, money etc which on a normal 'friend' basis you didn't really mention before.Either it will make the friendship stronger or it can ruin it alltogether, especially when trust issues come in. When large amounts of money are mixed with relationships, you discover who are your real friends and who personality wise is compatible with you... Personally I would stay away from it because its quite a risk. so: friendship to business partner, i probably wouldn't do but business partner to friendship, possible

There is an old saying that what really spoils friendships are three things be it in brothers, best friends or family. They are Women, Money and Land (as in real estate houses and stuff). Disputes like these are really hard when it comes to friendship.Then again I have two friends who started a business on their own and are working pretty well. If you have your priorities cleared and are rational enough to make decisions then these things don't really matter and if successful deals or decisions are made with those three things then the relation is really strenghtned up.I would have to agree with ronin that when you are together with someone for prolonged period then the bad aspects of the friends start to show up a true friend is who accepts the friend with all the good and bad qualities.

running a business with friends can be good or bad.
if you consider someone a friend, then working together
can be a real test of your friendship because you may
start noticing things about the other you never knew
before during your "regular" friendship. your friendship
can either get stronger or just break down depending
on how you handle the new discoveries you make
about the other person.

it is similar to living together with your girl/boyfriend
or getting married. if you discover things about the
other person which you cannot accept, it will put a
strain on your relationship, if you cannot resolve it.

now, whether you can resolve things depends very
much on the character and personalities of the partners.

The problem that i had when i finished school was that i was alone with an idea and then decided to enter into business with two of my best pals but it turned sour as they were not as active as i was and did not have as much a passion for success as i had.

Friends and business does not mix and you should only partner with people who are serious not basing on friendship terms.

But if you do happen to make some money and see that your friends are suffering them you should take em into the company! that is if you are big and successful enough to affird a lazy bum!

lol!