xisto Community
nustadventist

How Do I Make A Live Chat Using Php?

i wish to make a live chat room for my website there is need for a certain group to discuss online the problem is how do i design and execute one? i wish to use php but if there are better languges i would still want to know what do i need to know and what do i need?

There is a php chat program which you can set up for your site under your cpanel (I believe it's called phpmychat). I've used this before and was quite impressed, although there were a few things i didn't like about it, the disadvantages below are what i didn't like the most.The script can be found under the pre-installed scripts section.However, using php for a chat room has disadvantages in that the only way you can really update pages is to keep refreshing the page to get the latest chat from the database or file. This means that the script is not bandwidth friendly and you may find that you run out of bandwidth quite quickly.I advise using a language such as Java or Flash to have a chat room that is updated in real time and which is less stress on your bandwidth/database. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough on these languages to tell you how to do it or to provide an example code, however, a google search should help. There's many chat scripts out there which you can use in java/flash which allows more of a live script than php.Hope this helps :-)

Yes, good answer there. Check out Hotscripts.com for a good list of scripts. I also had a phpmychat going and it worked nicely, too, but the part about Bandwidth was a concern until I raising my Hosting to Level 2. Now I don't use it, and it doesn't matter.Also, there may be a chat using Ajax around. It is client-side stuff, so the page refresh and bandwidth issues wouldn't be as large a concern. Good luck finding what you need. Let us know if you are successful.

Its php question and you must post here : http://forums.xisto.com/forum/59-php-programming/

For download and install scripts look this :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

if you know php and sql you can make owen chat script , read this tutorial ::

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

ok i recommend it this script : TotalChatrooms

Its php and mysql script , its not free script you must buy it :angry:

I personally wouldn't recommend using PHP for a live chat program, but, I have not personally used PHP for a live chat system. In my experience, Java is better suited for this task. Hotscripts.com has many Java applets and servlets - and I'm sure there's one that would suit your site well. Best of luck in finding one that suits your needs! :angry:

I made a php/flash combination for a chat program. When i have time ill upload it to this thread. Its pretty great because its live and no refreshing.

Php and flash won't update automatically either. You may even have to close the browser to see the update. I recommend statying with PHP technology and just add on Javascript to it. Make sure you use the XMLHTTPRequest in Javascript to automatically refresh the chatroom without having to reload. This is called AJAX.When I have the time, I think I should develop my own AJAX chatrooms. But there should be some pre-made scripts out there already I believe.

I would like to you to try 'Ajax IM' .. it's nice and have beautiful skins and you can integrate it easily with your website .. you can download it here :unsure:

Php and flash won't update automatically either. You may even have to close the browser to see the update.

No. Flash can load variables from php continuously. My flash chat works flawless in every browser but internet explorer which for some reason cache's the page that flash loads from, causing you to refresh to see updates, but if you do a check for ie, this should be no problem.

When I have the time, I think I should develop my own AJAX chatrooms. But there should be some pre-made scripts out there already I believe.

I also made an ajax chat that loads from the same page that the flash chat loads from (it parses out the andpersands and stuff).I prefer my flash one because you have much more control over the look of it.

Notice from electriic ink:
Merged double post

I made a PHP and MySQL Chat Room...

How Do I Make A Live Chat Using Php?

As was talked about before, this script has to refresh consistently to update when there was something typed. It doesnt do the whole page, just a frame.

This uses 3 iframes and each has their own uses. One of them is the "who is online" iframe that you can use if this is for registered users.

Another iframe to type in information

And the last one is the one that refreshes every 2 seconds to check for new info.

By default, this script shows the last 30 posts. But if you looking to download this, I assume you know enough on how to edit it already? I hope so.

Anyways, this has support for guests, a bad words filter, and a few other things...Filters out most (if not all) html chars.

Download the zip here: <a href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

And sign up for my new web ring and mailing list when you are there!

Thanks, Hope I helped!!

~John <a href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

-reply by John Minton

I am a complete newbie in this this web thing and I would like to know some of the things I can do with PHP. I own a business and i want my clients to view their account info online. is it possible to do it with PHP whn u have a constantly changing MDB database. If I cant use PHP how do I do it so that what my accountig software is saving in the MDB database can be available online

I'd recommend downloading phpBB3/phpBB2, which is a forum with an chat program as a optional add on, all you need to do is swap a few files over, and its really clear! it took me and I'm a real novice with php and mysql about 10 minutes to set it up!

Can someone please explain how to refresh a page's content without doing the browser refresh?I made a simple php chat before but I had to keep refreshing the page. It made the sound that links make when you click them and it became annoying. It basically worked like a larger shout box.Does anyone know where I can get a voice chat? Either hosted or a script/server?