xisto Community
BordaForx

File Manager

Everytime I try to update my site, it won't work. Check it: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ won't update. Am I going to the wrong place, 'cause I'm sure it's file manager. =/ I put in the code, save it to index.html, but it won't show. Some help please?

Empty your cache and delete temp internet files. This works most of the time. Let us know if it doesn't work, because there are other things to try, but usually this will do it.Just had a look at the site and the default Index.html page is still there. When you use the file manager to upload, be certain to place the files in the public_html folder, not the first one you get to on the account, otherwise, they will not be available from the web. To move to the public_html folder, click on the gif to the left of the title 'public_html'. If you click on the title, you will be able to perorm actions against the folder like rename or delete, but to migrate to the right place to insert the files, click on the gif beside it, then select to upload by selecting the title beside the large up-arrow. Hope this helps.

are you using the file manager, or an FTP manager? if you are using an FTP Manager, make sure you have the right information in it...make sure that you are uploading the information to the public_html folder, or the www folder...both are the same thing just with different names..

Agreed. Make sure that you click on the ICON of public_html or the ICON of www after you click on File Manager in cpanel. Then, you will be able to upload your index page and your entire site.Good luck!

I had similar problems awhile ago. I also though it was the cache and temporary internet files that were causing it to seem like it was not updated. After I've uploaded and overwritten one of my html files, pictures, or even scripts, they seemed not updated. I've tested it on another computer which never had visited my site before. I don't know what was the problem. This was what I did. After uploading or updating, I open up the file and click reload. There goes, it gets updated. It seemed like a cache problem on local computer. But it was not. I was thinking of the servers also had cache in them to feed information faster. Probably when you reload your pages, the updated sites also updates the server caches, and therefore it gets updated. However, if you are uploading through FTP, the problem doesn't exist.

Something else which might help is to rename the original index.html which is placed there on account set-up to another name before upoading the new one. Or be certain to select the 'overwrite existing files' feature before uploading the new files.

are you using the file manager, or an FTP manager? if you are using an FTP Manager, make sure you have the right information in it...
make sure that you are uploading the information to the public_html folder, or the www folder...both are the same thing just with different names..

haha man am i glad you clarified that after the previous post. i am a webmaster newbie myself and just uploaded everything to the www folder. i always wondered what the public_html folder was and why it was needed since everything i upoloaded to the www folder ended up in my public_html folder. then when some scripts would preinstall, they would install in the public_html folder and thought hmmmmm....am i screwed here in the future because i've been uploading in the wrong folder?

so anyway, thanks for clarifying that...one of my biggest questions recently have been answered. still don't know why we have two folders to upload to though unless one is for backup....is that it? nope/. can't be now that i think about it....hmmmm
Edited by anwiii (see edit history)