xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

What Is It With People And Myspace? vent

ok, i know myspace is a website like any other out there in the world, but what is it that people like about it so damned much? i mean a year and a half ago NOONE knew about it....and it has been the cause of many young ladies being picked up by these oldperverted men and being raped etc...lol before we had to worry about chat rooms....not anymroe its myspace they need to be worried about....about a week ago a 3rd grader asked me how to set-up a myspace account, and i was like pshh im not going to tell you, you shouldn't be on a site like that..lol but please tell me, why does everyone like myspace suddenly? i mean it seems to be the thing to have now adays, i know it has been going on for like 4-5 months now but still....

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Refrain from using unnecessary characters for topic title. Make sure it's as descriptive as though the title itself can be a post.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Well people like MySpace so they can get out some anger, express some feelings and talk to friends and see what they have been up to if they haven't seen them and stuff. It is sort of like a web site just for them. I personally don't use MySpace and don't plan to but all of my friends do. It is like a diary really but their friends can see it. I have heard some bad stories about it as well which don't need to be stated but people like it.

Well, I have never been to that site, but from all the bad things I have heard about it, I wouldn't want to go there anyway. I guess with its advent, chat rooms are passe' now. It does bother me that young people find the need to use sites like that. They are in need of attention of some kind or they wouldn't. Parents need to have a closer look at what their children are doing on line. Unfortunately, private PCs in a child's room are not helping. I would suggest to a parent of today that they keep the family PC in a common room where everybody has access like the TV. :) And I used to worry about my child watching cartoons that depicted characters getting bombed or such and then returning to normal. I was worried that it would plant the idea that bombing or shooting people was not injurious. How much the world has changed over the years. It is frightening. I am certainly glad I don't have to raise a child in today's society. It is a much more difficult job than when I raised mine.

Everyone is so into MySpace now because it's "in" if you get what I mean. I do use Myspace but I only 'add' people that I have spoken with before or bands that I like to listen to. I've listened to the stories on the news lately and I can only shake my head. Girls getting raped or stalked by weirdos. It's terrible but as much as I hate to say it- it's their fault. A lot of girls on there are putting themselves out as prey and not even giving a second thought to it. I'm not going to say I'm a big supporter of MySpace because I'm not but I think it does have its advantages. With it I have been able to keep in contact with friends I don't see often. I've even been able to have contact with friends from middle school. But I think that when one joins the website they are just going to have to watch out and use a little common sense. Don't answer random messages from guys who "want to get to know you" and if someone is bothering you set them on ignore or report them.It's also up to parents to keep an eye on their teenagers when visiting sites like these (or any for that matter). A lot of the time, bad things happen and the parents are completely unaware of what's happening in their children's lives and I think that's not right- especially during that age range.

It may be jus a 'fad', but it is still dangerous. I really don't get those types of sites, really. Plus, the news that we have to watch at my shcool (ChannelOne) dedicated an entire broadcast to the dangers of Myspace. I just don't get why these people continue to use it, even with the news saying what it is about it. I don't care if "everyone's using it", I know I never will (and I will also know that that saying is not true). Oh, and the people from ChannelOne who were able to look at partcular people's pages (or whatever they're called) on Myspace were actually able to find them (and I don't recall them mentioning that the kids added their addresses or any other way to get to them).

Myspace (like every other big thing) is only temporary and no one will go back to it in no more than a year I dont think.

one can only hope :)

and yeah, its been all over the news about a girl that admitted to thinking the person that kidnaped her and did stuff to her was a 15 year old who just wanted to go see a movie or whatever....and you notice the parents dont do anything to stop people from using it at all? its crazy..lol i will never have a myspace!

the problems you are describing have nothing to do with myspace itself but how kids behave online, with a bit of brain power it isn't hard to find out peoples details via personal websites, chatrooms even e-mailing and msn messenger (notice most people on there have a lot of personal information in their profiles) I personally do have a myspace account, i don;t use it much tho because the service itself is not run well, i use it more to catch up on some music that a lot of underground artists around here put up on their spaces

i agree with terminal2k, people are the only reason that MySpace is considered to be "Dangerous", kids like to have their own website but alas cant afford it. That is the reason they invented MySpace, because some kids do not know how to set up their own free website host, or domain. I myself have a MySpace account and i am not stupid enough to put personal details on it. I would only tell my friends or people i can trust on MSN my details, If Adults say that they are 15 then the only true way to find out what they look like before you do anything with them would be to have a webcam conversation. The creators of my space should remove the text boxes that ask for details about you. If the parents snoop into what the kids are doing and confrount the child about it, then they may have ruined the relationship between the two of them. The child may begin to behave badly or ignore the parent. But the most common thing that will definatly stop happening is the child will not talk to the parent about anything not even if they are being bullied. So the only way to stop your child from viewing MySpace if you truly despise it or if you do not want them on it is to ban it with a program. The reason i know so much about this is because it all happened to a friend of mine, when he was on an online website called Neopets. He was playing it and his parents snooped around so he began to stop trusting his parents and even his grades lowered because of all this. But eventually when he was almost 18 he slowly began to trust them with secrets again.

ok, so everyone hates My space, but thats the thing with all social networking sites, Hi5, orkut, mywallop.as someone said with great power comes great responsibility, in this age we are so powerful, we can share personal info at the click of a button ( hence we need to be responsible), but such sites, when used with discretion can really be a boon.For e.g. i use orkut to stay in touch with my school friends.

Who doesent use myspace. Seriously. My Principal uses myspace :) But I think the reason why poeple use myspace is because it contains images, where memories and fun times can be looked back upon with ease. Also its a way to communicate with multiple friends at any given time. Really, I bet if myspace costed for a subscription people would still use it. This is because of its popularity witch is continously growing, gaining support by radio stations and music bands. -The only real downside to myspace is those emo scary people and those fake pamela andersons.

Meh i signed up when everybody started goin"OH HEY RAZOR U GOT MYSPACE?"i admit..it pissed me off..hence why i went to chek the whole thing out..and i must say i quite like it....its good for like...when u see a certain person one night thats your friends freind (a girl mabye and you like her for example)...so because shes ur freinds friend..they have each other added on myspace...so you go to ur myspace and find that person on his friends list and then u can contact them buy adding the,,,EASY FRIENDSHIP :)i personally think it should be age restricted tho....theres just too much dumb people on the internet....despite all of the personal detail warnings people get (12 year olds etc)..and yet again sorry if u r 12 im just stating that its generally 12 year olds :P.

I think MySpace is a nice social website. I personally enjoy using it to stay in touch with friends from back home. Some people want to be social butterflies and add 10215421 friends, regardless of how many they stay in contact with. That's their personal choice, and you can make the choice to ignore them as well.With these kindappings/rapings/any other act of crime related to information let out on MySpace...to be blunt, it's that kid's fault. No one is forcing them to give out their information. If they didn't want to listen to their parents/teachers/counselors/anyone's advice on giving out information on the internet... then you can't possibly blame the website. The website has an age requirement, it's the stupid kids who bypass the rules and then get themselves into trouble.

ok, i know myspace is a website like any other out there in the world, but what is it that people like about it so damned much? i mean a year and a half ago NOONE knew about it....and it has been the cause of many young ladies being picked up by these oldperverted men and being raped etc...lol before we had to worry about chat rooms....not anymroe its myspace they need to be worried about....about a week ago a 3rd grader asked me how to set-up a myspace account, and i was like pshh im not going to tell you, you shouldn't be on a site like that..lol but please tell me, why does everyone like myspace suddenly? i mean it seems to be the thing to have now adays, i know it has been going on for like 4-5 months now but still....

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Refrain from using unnecessary characters for topic title. Make sure it's as descriptive as though the title itself can be a post.

Hey,

Yeah dude, myspace is totally boring man. It seems to attract lots of youngsters though who want to learn mor e about blogs since they are being mentioned everywhere now. I guess it's the closest thing to building a real website with your own domain. Myspace is now owned by EW Scripps a big media company from the States. They also own Shopzilla, Bizrate and Uswitch. Shopzilla is the best though out of the lot, or am I just saying that cos I work there? Probably.

And I used to worry about my child watching cartoons that depicted characters getting bombed or such and then returning to normal. I was worried that it would plant the idea that bombing or shooting people was not injurious.

I dont know if I can agree with that part.. even Looney Toons has violent things like that, but you don't see many people saying Bugs Bunny is bad for children.

Anyways, I guess it's like Terminal said.. it's not the site, it's stupid children. There are a billion different ways to get yourself kidnapped that have nothing to do with Myspace. My little sister uses sites like these, and even though she's 13, she knows better than to give out her personal info.

Parents snooping into their child's personal life, though, I'm a little iffy on. I was a good kid, and never got into trouble, but I still didn't want my parents poking into my web activities.. I dont want them reading my chat longs any more than listening to my phone convs; kids need privacy too ^^; And really, as much as parents watch their kids, if the kid wanted to do something bad, or was flat-out stupid, even if the parent watched the kid 24/7, they'd still manage to get themselves kidnapped while skipping school or something. The parents can't be everywhere, ya know? Give them some advice, then let them have their website.. ^^;