xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keysmaker

The Best Photo Viewer And its free (GPL)

Well, is quite possible that u use the Microsoft Photo Editor, or the ACD photo viewer, but all that programs just... sucks, if you want to use a really good program try Irfan View, this one gives you a lot of options, like convertion (resized, resample) by batch process so you can make task like converting 100 images at once, is very helpful.

Also, you can download plugins for viewing movies, listening music, and more, just in one program.

IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.

It is trying to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals.

IrfanView is trying to create new and/or interesting features in its own way, unlike some other graphic viewers, which whole "creativity" is based on feature cloning, stealing of ideas and whole dialogs from ACDSee and/or IrfanView! (for example: XnView is stealing/cloning features and whole dialogs from IrfanView, since 5+ years).

IrfanView was the first Windows graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple (animated) GIF support.

One of the first graphic viewers WORLDWIDE with Multipage TIF support.

The first graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple ICO support.

You can download the program and the plugins here

It?s brilliant software!!Not only it?s small and speedy it?s very popular because it?s having a lot more features for graphic savvy buddies.You can quickly view images, browse thumbnails though it?s an extra step, print, and sort and manage image, audio, and video files. Do a HTML export for generating simple hyperlinked thumbnail pagesIt provides image editing and manipulation like rotating, flip, resize, color correction very good feature, sharpen, etc. Did you try the special effects 3d button, blur and emboss oil paint, edge detection, median, explosion they are fun. And the best I like is its Batch processing functions you can convert, rename, scan, and capture screen shots all in batch mode. I love it!!

wow, well it is very interesting honestly, when i first saw it i thought it was just an image viewer, but it is a player and image viewer, these days it is needed all that in just one tool if you are browsing files and those things you wont open two or three programs just to see the content of your folders. Anyways i'll have a look and enjoy it

bad, you donThe Best Photo Viewer

I have to admit the best image viewer ever is IrfanView, but, I also have to admit the person who placed the title here does not know anything about GPL... Irfan View is not a GPL software, it is just a freeware, look at their agreement: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ there's no mention to GPL license there... Duh?

-reply by cablop

I don't think so when it comes to lightweight image viewer then irfanview and xnview are good image viewers. So it's no that all softwares are way behind. it's just that picasa is not for limited use but it takes more resources than irfanview and xnview.

IrfanView is one of the things I miss most on Ubuntu. There is just nothing that can compare to it. The closest thing I could find was gThumb, which still couldn't compete with Irfanview. I would dare say that IrfanView is one of the most important piece of software a Windows user could have. It was always one of the first things I downloaded every time I upgraded. Picasa and IrfanView aren't really comparable because they're different, I used both, but I used IrfanView about 999 times to Picasa's 1.IrfanView is like an old love, everything I do makes me think of that road killed animal (what kind of a logo is that anyway?). When I want to open an imagine or crop an image, or resize an image, or watch a slide show, or take a screen capture I'm always reminded about how much better IrfanView was... IrfanView on wine doesn't work too well either. It's slow(er) and crashes A LOT. For people switching to Linux.. just get gThumb and try to move on.. :)

digikam anyone?The Best Photo Viewer

how about DigiKam? Works on Mac Os X and Linux, and with a little tweaking on Windows too.

Picasa destroyed my Ubuntu-laptop's HD three times, because it runs on Wine. I suggest not using Picasa on Linux.

-reply by the doof