xisto Community
Nitin Mangi

Google Office Soon

Yet another great offering by Google soon Google Office.
As per CNN news Google wants its users to create, share online documents with an interface similar to Microsoft Word, a new strategy to compliment its advertising business.

I also heard Google having plans for project called GDrive, its an online storage where users can keep their documents, spreadsheets, bookmarks, and other data. GDrive has not yet been officially announced.

SAN FRANCISCO (Business 2.0 Magazine) - Google's acquisition of Upstartle, the Silicon Valley-based provider of Writely, a Web-based word processor, is the surest sign yet that the company plans to take on Microsoft in the market for office-productivity software

Its good news for Google users like us.

that seems to be the trend of the future. with wireless connectivity and pc mobility going widespread, software is going the way of being a service instead of a product. also, since software is ubiquitous, it makes it accesible anytime anywhere... add to that that there will be no need to download updates every now and then, since upgrades will be centralized on their servers. :(

Well, in fact, google is the major sponsor of the Open Office proyect, thats not new, but im totally agree with serverph,

...that seems to be the trend of the future...

Go google!

Yeah I just saw that news and was amazed..to see!Google has purchased a company called writely.com and will be offering the services! Well, as soon as I saw that...I went to register for that service..but hey..as usual..Google turned off the registration :(I am sure that Google will comeup with just not Word processor..I am sure they'll come with other things..like spreadsheet and all! I dont know what things will be in future...may be in future we'll see something like...ONLINE PHOTOSHOP!!!!! :(

Wow, this sounds like it's gonna be a beast. We all know it's going to happen. Google is going to take over the world. It will take over small countries first. Then the big ones, until eventually we will all be speaking terms of Google. This is an uncontrollable force lol.

Wow, that's a very good news, something open source lovers must cheer about. As I said in other threads as well, I don't want to see Microsoft only dominating these office tools as well. It is a very welcome move for Google to have come up with this idea. I hope they will succeed as well. They are the company which can take on Microsoft. So there are many reasons to go for Google. A very good news.

this will be useful for college students... get files when they need it and you don't ahve to really upload to a server that might not be secure. data disc like floppies, zips, cdroms, are good too but this is another alternative.

Is google going to fast ? i mean look in past 3-4 months wath google made ?a lot of things, i think this is going to be one of better :(And they have something like that GDrive project its called Google base, google.com/Base/

I used it and its not bad, but i hope it will be much much better.And about that Google Office, it will be connected with allsort of google products, G earth, G mail, G deskotp, G toolbar... oh :( i cant wait.

This is what we expected from Google but this is just a part of what we really expect from Google, the Google OS. This is greate and help the people on the move. This is better than any pocket devices as the increase in WiFi regios worldwide we can acess Internet from anywhere , so we can check our mails and files and keep our apointments and everything from one place the Google.

Mmh, seeing Google bases all their products off the internet, wouldn't we be needing to get faster internet just to be able to use all of Google's products? Web based word processing sounds cool to me. An OS would be even more cool indeed.

its yet another addition to the google empire i think that google will just keep expanding until bursting point, and it has come a long way sinse just being a web search, with image, shopping and groups searching google is becoming a super busssiness and a super controller of the web, GO GOOGLE!!! coolio guys and see ya all later!

First of all hats off to google for starting the 1GB mailbox trend. Yahoo has caught up and Gmail as always has gone a step further throwing 2GB mailbox space at us. Obviously,we wont be using all those space for our mails.Unless of course you are being flooded by spammers or you've subscribed to quite a number of newsletters.

The best way to use that space would therefore be by making it an online storage box. But Gdrive is already out. And i dont think google developed it. Anyway, Gdrive might help users go a long way by keeping all their data in quite a safe place. And one can also go in for multiple gmail accounts. What does that mean ???
One can have GB's of space to store your files online with Gdrive coming.

If you havent got a copy of Gmail Drive yet ,go and catch it over here ....
http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm