xisto Community
Jyoko

Helping In What.... Six Languages!? Interesting

On the internet, many languages are spoken.I help in six of them........thanks to Google Translator *-*I help (and work occassionally) on the following sites in another languageHabbo Spain (Spanish)Habbo France (French)Habbo Brazil (Portuguese)Runescape (Mixed)What do you use Google Translation services for?Discussion time!? *DING*

well first: Google translator is very poor, but a little bit useful if you dont have a dictionary close to you, also, some slangs (if you know what is a slang) are not translated,....

Well Basically i use the Google translator for few words... I prefer to use the define command in google
define:holothuroidea eg
[ https://www.google.co.cr/search?q=define:Hodefinel&defl=en ]

so the term is able to see in several languages and is possible to see differents meanings at the same time.

Another good way is using the wikipedia dictionary, is very useful!! :(

Edited by keysmaker (see edit history)

I sometimes use the translation to look up a word or two in a paragraph of text in a language I do not understand. Sometimes I am just typing it out onto a computer, so I don't need to understand what is being said, but when the handwriting gets undecipherable, I try translating the word with varied spellings to see if it makes sense in context.keysmaker: Any free service is bound to be slightly less efficient than the most professional software out there. I mean, remember it is run by volunteers - give 'em a break :(<OT>Isn't there a service called Babel Fish or something that is also supposed to specialize in translations?</OT>

I know that no language translator will properly translate texts word-for-word, but Google seems to do so very un-accurately. It's still very useful when you're searching the web for a particular item and come across a Spanish-speaking website.

I use the Google translator very rarely and only to look up one or two words, as it seems to be the most inaccurate way to translate anything. One kid in my German class managed to use it for some coursework, and it helpfully got the word order entirely wrong and mixed up the meanings of a lot of words. Also, it quite often seems to freeze or crash mid translation, which is annoying if you just typed a block of text in. The translating web pages bit seems a little better but can still cause problems and can be unreliable.

Isn't there a service called Babel Fish or something that is also supposed to specialize in translations?

Yes, this is AltaVistas version of a translator, available here.

Hmmm, I don't think Google Translate is one of Google's best products, because there are a lot of other tools doing it just as good or even better (Like Altavista Babblefish Translate).

Google Translate becomes very useful when you end up on the site where English is not the main language and another linguistic option is not available. For example, many portfolio written in languages other than English often only have one language version available, making Google Translate a very useful tool indeed.The only problem I have found with Google Translate is that Adobe Flash sites are not supported, simply because the Google Translator is simply unable to read through the text in Flash SWF files. Hopefully, they will implement such a feature in the future, knowing that newer versions of Google Search have allowed the indexer to index through Flash-based sites as well as normal HTML-based sites.

I find that Google Translate works semi-well with stuff written in the language (by those who speak it). It works horribly with translating say English into Spanish/French/etc. And then you have SVO that exists for English but differs in a lot of languages.