xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
midnitesun

Memorise Large Numbers memorize numbers : Maths-Alphabet Trick to memorize numbers

Memorize numbers : How to memorize large numbers?

Seems pretty much impossible isn't it ? we can easily remember peoples faces or colors but numbers are very hard to memorize because they are so hard to associate ,our brain thinks with pictures not with numbers. it's easier for us to remember a chicken having a beer than to picture the numbers $4,6435.73. But we can defeat the way our brain processes numbers by relating them to a certain word that represents a mental picture !!

All you have to do is memorize this chart, once it's done you can use it for life! Looks pretty much boring isn't it ? well that exactly what i thought when I first came across this, but I did take time to memeorize it and beleive me it's worth the effort .Within few minutes I was impressing all my friends !!

Number...............Letter/sound

1.......................t , d

2.......................n

3.......................m

4.......................r

5.......................l

6.......................j , sh , ch

7.......................k , g

8.......................f , v

9.......................p , b

0.......................z , s

I'll give you an example how this memorizing technique works :

Suppose your mom asks you to check the prices of several items for eg. one item costs $ 651.98

for six we can take j and lets say we maker the word just

for 5 it's l so we make the word love

for 1 its t or d ,lets take t and make the word to

for 9 it's p or b so we'll take b and make the word post

for 8 it's f or v so lets take f and make the word forums

See what we came with ??? just love to post forums !! now im sure you'll remember this and all you need to remember the price is to convert the words back to the numbers mentally .The first few times you can also do this by writing it down .

Using this method you can memorize numbers with digits 50 or above !! impressing is'nt it ??

Well when I first heard about it i thought it was impossible but i did take time to memorize the chart and see if it works ,and to my amazement I could memorize upto 20 digits in less than 5 minutes !

Well I normally am pretty good at remembering prices no matter how high they are. Of course I just play it over and over in my head to memorize it and it usuallly stays there or I can just write it down and there you go. That way could work the same way as the numbers, you could forget a word or get confused which letter is for which number. Then you have to take the time to put it back into numbers so more mistakes could arrise. I guess if you really get it down it could be easier but I guess I will just stick to my method.

Is there any real reason for the letters you chose? They seem pretty random. Anyway, I've never had trouble memorizing things. I have a really good memory (especially for trivial things) and I memorized about 60 digits of pi in 6th grade. I also tend not to forget things very quickly (some last a few years), so I still know all those. Also helps with things like Jeopardy >_>

I'm terrible at memorizing words. Numbers, on the other hand, I memorize without even knowing it. They just.. happen. I can never remember names, but numbers seem to stick with me. I figure if everyones name was actually a number, I'd never forget anyones name..I think peoples memory's just work in different ways. Some people are better with words, some people are better with numbers..

Different method

Memorise Large Numbers

I've been using a slightly different method of memorizing numbers and facts for a while. Here's mine:

0 - L

1 - T

2 - and

3 - W

4 - B

5 - see

6 - D

7 - H

8 - F

9 - are

Metres - M

Grams - G

Seconds - S

These are based on the most common first letters of words.

Here's how I use it:

Suppose I want to remember that the average lion is 3m long. I would then make 'lion' the first or almost first word in the sentence. Then I would have a word starting with W (for the 3), and a word starting with M (for metres). You can put in any vowel-starting words without adding meaning.

Now the sentence could be 'Lions are extremely wild mammals.'

The sentences become even easier to remember when you are memorizing longer sequences of numbers, like pi or e.

-stephen

I have never, ever been any good with numbers. I hate history, just because there are so many numbers to remember. Even though they are short, they just never seem to stick to my brain. But this seems like a quite good method to remember numbers, I am impressed! Maybe I am going to try this out. :) Thank you for telling me.

Oh that are really great ways of memorising numbers.I actually never tried to memorise numbers in that fashion,this is because I personally think that I am capable of remembering the numbers and facts without any difficulty at all and theres no need for me to use these memorising tricks.Though I am trying to be confident and not overconfident. :)Though this topic may be good and helping for those who have a difficulty in memorising numbers and facts.

Wow, this is a really interesting way for memorizing numbers, and to be honest, I didn't know something like this even existed. I'd never seen anything like it at all before reading this. Now comes my dilemma... I REALLY suck at memorizing things... not just numbers, and I'm looking at that chart, and doubting I'd be able to memorize something like that, since all the number / letter combinations seem highly random.I was thinking, oh that's cool.. maybe I could make that easier... like if we associate 1 with O (cause it starts with O), and 2 with T, and 3 with... oh crap, here's another T word... and then after that, my theory went out the window :)I suppose unless I can somehow manage to memorize that table of letters and numbers I'll be stuck with writing everything down like I already do lol...Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to memorize that handy table up there?

This is rather rubbish. I have memorised the first 100 digits of pi, and I have a different method.Eg. Someones phone number:07698 387 220What you do is find patterns, I try and find mathematicl ones. Here is each set of numbers, and how I memorised them:07: the beginning of every mobile number; already memorised.698: 6 is two thirds of 9, and 8 is one below 9. You can also draw a virtual line of it going up, then down slightly.387: double 3, add one, and add one again makes 378, then you need to remember to switch the last two numbers around.220: all very low didgits. Two two's and a zero.After you have done this with a each set of the numbers you have split it into. You can go over each of them and memorise the patterns, you will soon get an assosiated feeling with each pattern, this "feeling" sticks, and you can repeat the numbers.

how about this?

Memorise Large Numbers

Replying to midnightvamp

inspired from that method I thought of making the numbers and the letters

Look similar to easily remember,may be this might help,just check it out.

â?» the rule is it should they shouldn't be a vowel in there but for zero

I didnt have any choice I mean. Zero = "o" letter or "z" but "z" is used for 2.

â?»ã??the number and letters should look alike to be easy to remember.I made

My best to make them look alike.If you think they don't look alike then just

change the angle from 90 degree or reverse it or ...You guess it already,right?

0= "o" like "octopus"(round)

1= "l" like "long"

2="z" like "zebra"

3="m" like "money"

4="h" like "horse"

5="S" like "Sun"

6="G" like "Gorilla" =>(you can change it to "b" but think about "8")

7="F" like "Fox"

8="B" like "Ball"

9="q" like "queen" => (you could use "g" but its already used bu "6")

â?»ã??for example "46" is a combination of "H" and "G" but "HG" doesnt make sense so use "HUGE".

You can make numbers to words or images up to 100 doing what I just did.

Hey its just what I thougt when I saw this.I never tried it but I'm sure

my method can help so ...

Peace!

-reply by justabro

how about this?

Memorise Large Numbers

Replying to midnightvamp

inspired from that method I thought of making the numbers and the letters

Look similar to easily remember,may be this might help,just check it out.

â?» the rule is it should they shouldn't be a vowel in there but for zero

I didnt have any choice I mean. Zero = "o" letter or "z" but "z" is used for 2.

â?»ã??the number and letters should look alike to be easy to remember.I made

My best to make them look alike.If you think they don't look alike then just

change the angle from 90 degree or reverse it or ...You guess it already,right?

0= "o" like "octopus"(round)

1= "l" like "long"

2="z" like "zebra"

3="m" like "money"

4="h" like "horse"

5="S" like "Sun"

6="G" like "Gorilla" =>(you can change it to "b" but think about "8")

7="F" like "Fox"

8="B" like "Ball"

9="q" like "queen" => (you could use "g" but its already used bu "6")

â?»ã??for example "46" is a combination of "H" and "G" but "HG" doesnt make sense so use "HUGE".

You can make numbers to words or images up to 100 doing what I just did.

Hey its just what I thougt when I saw this.I never tried it but I'm sure

my method can help so ...

Peace!

-reply by justabro

memorizing the tableMemorise Large Numbers

The table's not that large, co the easiest way to memorize it is simply to practice with numbers at hand (phone, credit card, etc.).  That said, you can find other ways.  The curl at the top of the number 1 almost looks like half the letter T.  Number 2 tipped onto it's side looks kind of like and, 3 on it's side looks like M.  4 is four (emphasize the are).  5 as L is out of left field so just memorize it.  6 looks a lot like G as in George.  7 as K is left field again so just memorize it.  Same with 8.  9 is like a backwards P.  0 is zero.

I'm sure others have devices for the 5, 7 and 8 that I've missed, just just practice and play a bit and you won't need them.  USE this tool.  The more you do so, the sooner you will 'own' it!

There are some great books out on this too, new and old.  I so very much wish I had been appraised of this as a child, when memorization was the order of the day at school.  Looking forward to teaching my boys, hoping that school won't be the drag for them it was for me.

-reply by kent

choiceMemorise Large Numbers

Those letter have been around a long time.  It's like tuning a guitar.  You can come up with your own and make it work, but this one has been proven to work quite well over time.  Any book you read on memorization will have these same assignments.

-reply by Kent

Memorizing gamesMemorise Large Numbers

I was doing some puzzles especially the one in Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes on the DS. I have found that one of the tests for determining your brain age is memorizing the position of numbers from 1 to 25. Found it challenging but refreshing. Reminds me of memorizing the times tables :-)

-reply by Inter-e-sted

numbersMemorise Large Numbers

I memorize sequences of numbers,I don't know why,when so many of the times I try not to,I am a part time cashier at a retail store I memorise upc barcodes,if it happens not to scan and I have to enter it in manually then its stuck in my head,thats not the problem as well thats an asset,the problem is when I have to enter credit card info manually,then its stuck in my head,now I would never fraudulently charge them but I just want it to stop.Any ideas how to stop it.? 

-reply by jasmine