xisto Community
dontmaimyourself

Google To Take On Geocities Google Page Creator

Wow its great to hear that google is opened many many softwares.I think this google page creator would be the best program.!!Coould anybody please guide me how to use it and how to build webpages through it.I also like to know will they support .php or .asp type of pages.Since i am using PHP in my website i wanted a very very good page editor for PHP.By the way guys see if they provide database support for us..? lolz..!!

I just want to add a point that this service from Google is indeed free webhosting. I've tested uploading some of my html files, together with pictures and embed flash. Everything seemed to work great and loading fast. Comparing the speed of loading, I would say Google Pages wins Xisto free hosting, somehow, honestly. However, Google Pages only serves basic web hosting. This means that you cannot have PHP, ASP, or any servers-side scripts hosted on Google. They will not work because they are not support features. Moreover, Xisto free hosting wins in terms of hosting space. Google Pages allows every account 100MB of web space, at an added point of unlimited bandwidth. Although Xisto free hosting has a limit in bandwidth, who is going to exceed that limit? It's going to be difficult to exceed the limit unless you are also running some sort of service that has many members or subscribers.So here's the summary of what Google Pages offers- 100MB- Basic HTML webpages hosting- Unlimited bandwidth- No PHP/ASP/JSP or any server-side scripts supported- No MySQL or any databases supported- Speedy downstream- No ads, not even Google Ads.

it seems more and more like google is trying to build the web rather than just organise it and search it. they made everyone get links to their sites and build up PR, they want you to list your ownership of a url on their sitemaps system, build websites using their page creator... what's next?

Man google doesnt give anything a rest. I will look into the hosting and see - If they have templates and its all able to be done online with out ads etc.... Thants pretty good - wheres the catch. I bet they dont have PHP and MySLQ though.

Hummm I've seen this kind of service before...and I can't seem to recall where I saw it.

Oh yeah! Yahoo! Geocities. Except no ad banners of any kind like previous members mentioned. Although you might think that this is a direct competition with Xisto, if you are here at Xisto you'll know the limitations of Google Pages. However, I'm sure some people will find Google Page service to be useful.

Here is the run down: https://sites.google.com/site/buffalohelp/home

Looks like I was able to create a page since I had gmail account already. So for those who mentioned that google stopped signing up get yourself a gmail invitation and create a page.

The major differences between Google Page and Xisto dot NET are 1) Xisto do NET allows you to use your own domain 2) Xisto dot NET offers database

Notice from serverph 051706:
merged with another thread of same topic.

what about bandwidh limits? do you have to use their page creator or can you upload yourself?Think they'll use adwords ad, or make you put up your own adwords code so you can share revenues?

what about bandwidh limits?
do you have to use their page creator or can you upload yourself?

Think they'll use adwords ad, or make you put up your own adwords code so you can share revenues?

"Shared revenue" seems unlikely. It seems to me as though people are using this service only because "its Google". There are many better services out there.

Google Page Creator Will Shut Down

Google To Take On Geocities

Google Page Creator will be shut down this year and old GPC sites will be transitioned to Google Sites:

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-08-05-n83.html

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

With GPC you could upload HTML files (which is not possible with Google Sites). That's why with GPC it was much easier to make your pages look exactly the way you wanted with uploaded HTML files and CSS files (or CSS in HTML).

-reply by Tomi H�s�