xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
michaelper22

Switch To Astahost A very organized forum

Switching to AstaHost  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never seen a froum like Xisto before. I was feeling bored today, so I lokked around on Xisto, and discovered just how great it is. They have more organized categories, better posts, less moderators (no offense guys). I know that I can switch pretty easily because I can just download a cPanel backup and restore it on Xisto. I like Xisto because the posts are better quality (here we have tons of one liners, double posts - being eliminated, and broken English, without mentioning any names), and I would be supporting the same company anyways. So everyone throw in your opinions on whether I should switch or not

Notice from mayank:
Edited topic title! There was a typing error it was written as "Astahoast" instead of "Xisto"

I have considered that, too, but I find that the Topics over there can be awfully Technical in nature.
I do this Forum thing for the fun of it mostly, and being required to have fun at that high of a level isn't really fun for me. It might be different for you, but I'm only learning lots of this stuff, so maybe I'll just stay here for a while.
If you do go over there, say Hi! to everyone for me. I check in there frequently, also. Really good information is available on the Xisto Forum. They have some pretty knowledgeable folks posting lots of good stuff.
Xisto Forum

Well, considering that fact that Xisto is run by the same company i.e. Xisto Corp. I am sure that you wont find even a single problem in making the switch. However, as Jlhaslip has mentioned that the posts over there are higly techincal in nature..So, if you are fine with that then you can make a switch!

Now, as you are complaning about the no. of moderators (dont worry, we are not offended) I will suggest you to please have a look at the board statstics of both the forums. Board stats are at the bottom of the index page of the forum on both the sites!

I like Xisto because the posts are better quality (here we have tons of one liners, double posts - being eliminated, and broken English, without mentioning any names)

Now, it completely depends on members like you and me! We have to understand the fact and we ourselves have to make sure that the posts we make, must not be one-liners.

So, my suggestion : Dont make a switch..instead try to make this place better!

I know that Xisto & Xisto both are run under Xisto Corp. but still I want to see the spirit of competition among the members and that members of both boards must work hard enough to make things better in their respective boards!

I would have to say that Xisto has a better forum than Xisto if you know a lot about computers. If you are like me and you prefer to talk about just everyday stuff by all means stay here. It is probably way easier to maintain your credits here because there is more to talk about. In the future I may move to Xisto if I learn a bit more about the stuff on that forum but for now I will stay here.

I am glad to hear that Xisto appeals to michaelper22 because Xisto is striving to be the best professional free hosting service. This is not to downplay Xisto. But Xisto was initially designed to attract gamers and game oriented forum. It would be wise to have one forum that's dedicated to straight technical aspects and one dedicated to general aspects of the computer and computer related discussions. For that Xisto has accomplished what it set out to be. You are allowed to have one account in Trap and one account in Xisto. However, hosting credits are non-transferable. :huh:

Well because I am not that technical I wouldn't go to Xisto but this is me. Of course I do plan on working with computers and stuff like that I like it here. It is really up to you on whether or not you decide to go to Xisto it really is what you are looking for. I think there isn't too many moderators because they are trying to help watch out for those people who make double posts and stuff because there are many members here. It is really up to you.

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visits to Xisto. The entire staff works very hard to maintain a clean and nearly spam free site. Let me try to explain hoew the two forums really differ.

It is true that Xisto deals with much more technical subjects. Because of this technical nature, the forum has a lot of technically minded and very organized members. The more organized, technically minded, and very active members are invited to join the staff. Since most very organized people tend to do things in an organized way, the forum naturally follows this pattern. When the forum starts to get disorganized, one of us makes a post in the staff section to plan a cleaning party. ;)

We stear non-technically minded members to Xisto.com. ;) We professionally inform members when their posts and topics are not up to the standards we expect. We also train borderline members to be better members. If a member doesn't seem to be technically minded enough but has pretty good posts otherwise, we look for ways to help the member keep up with his credit count. Most of us are just waiting to answer a question from a member that needs help. The best way to start a good discussion is to ask a good question. This is where our technophobes help out. They ask technical questions that allow the rest of us to answer and discuss the question. I wish we had more easy questions to answer sometimes, maybe I could break 200 credits finally. :lol:

Anyway, even if you aren't a programming guru, Xisto has something to offer you. If you are a spammer, plagerizer, one liner poster, or generally dumb, don't bother coming to Xisto, you won't last long. Some new members don't even get a full hour in before we boot them. :huh:

Dear Member,Due to the technical nature of the forums here we expect a higher quality of post than most forums. As a result I must request that you make an effort to raise the quality of the content that you post here. Many of your posts either have little content or are off topic. Several of your posts have been removed since they were not up to standards. If you would like some pointers on making better posts, please contact me or any other staff member for assistance.

If you feel that you may not be able to keep pace with the technical nature of this forum, please have a look at Xisto.com. Xisto.com offers the same hosting service as Xisto but the forums are much less technical. It is a more relaxed community that you may feel more comfortable in.

If you have andy questions, please contact me.
vujsa

I someone is really bad, we will just invite them to leave. No reason to bother Xisto with them. ;)

So for my opinion for you is to do what you like. I'd hate to tell you to make the move them send you one of those PM's next week. ;)

vujsa

I am here exactly 1 year and 2 days today. And my experience here has been awesome. Right from the beginning I made a choice to stay here not because I don't like Xisto but because I feel that I can make more quality post here not sacrificing the length which may not be possible in case of Xisto since most of the posts are technical in nature. That also doesn't mean that I'm not technical enough but because I care to survive here and to uphold enough credits while continuing to enjoy this awesome hosting.Therefore, since the choice I made was perfect for me, I intend to stay here and continue to make post which makes sense and earns me more credits from time to time. To cut short the explanation, Xisto.com suits me more than Xisto would. So, I will stay here. I hope members will make such decision so that their credits don't run out because of bad choice.

It's your decision. You can leave or stay. It all depends on what you want and what you want to do. No one is stopping you from going, unless some one is blackmailing you but even than you can still go. If you see that Xisto is better, even though they are run by the same people who run Xisto, you can go there. And what do you mean by technical questions? Do you mean it is all computer stuff or what? But if you want to go you can. But you might be missed here if you go:P .

it is really up to you, I have a forum account on both forums and post where I can, when I can. you could always maintain an account at both places and run two sites, or keep an archive site, like i said, it is really up to you.

Hey guys,

I see a nice discussion's going on here and felt like adding something of my own.

First and foremost I'd like to point out that both these boards operate on slightly different ideologies. Both have their own share of positive and negative factors. As it's been mentioned several times over - Xisto was established with a purely technical nature in mind - and that's how it's been raised from ground up. This has resulted in us being extremely picky about our members. More often that not you'll find people getting booted out within half-an-hour of joining. On the other hand, Xisto welcomes almost everyone with open arms - unless you prove yourself to be a real nuisance. Advantage of this is that Trap has a bustling community and way more members that we ever hope to have.

When it comes to posting, while you're permitted to ask any kind of techie questions relating to your computer problems - if you want to take part in any ongoing discussions and put in your views - you've to be seriously technical minded. The kind of posts we seek have to be fact-filled and as informative as possible without bordering on SPAM. However, Trap is way more relaxed in that respect - you're free to discuss almost anything here - unless the content borders on obscenity. Quite naturally the general crowd finds this a much better place to be in - as the topics of discussion at Asta fall in a very narrow region.

The above two factors combined, results in a lot more posts at Trap. The board is always on the move and very fast paced - something that we sorely miss at times. There are days at Asta which pass by without a single new topic being created. For the existing members that can be kind of challenging - for how long do you think you can keep discussing old stuff ? We're all humans and are always attracted to varied points of interest. As I said, things can get quite a bit boring and droll at times. Naturally, we've got far less posts that Trap. Then again - the slow pace of Asta has its own distinct advantages. It helps us monitor the posts in a more efficient way and any kind of SPAM is immediately weeded out along with the SPAMMER. But still, at times I feel that the members would really like things to hasten up a bit. Also, this enables us to keep the threads as clean as possible and information retrieval a much easier job.

As for the number of moderators - it's NEVER a disadvantage. For big and fast moving boards like this - which puts severe stress on the monitoring aspect - you can never have TOO MANY mods. You need round the clock monitoring of the board to keep it as free of SPAM and other related problems as possible. And believe me, good moderators are quite a rarity. The less number of posts at Asta puts makes the job much easier and hence we have only a small but extremely dedicated group of moderators.

Trap - I believe offers a lot more in the way of fun. It's not that we don't pursue the lighter side of life at Asta, but the kind of fun we have too can be seriously "technical" or rather Geeky at times. This is fine with our regular members but might not be too appealing to any newcomers with a different idea of fun.

Last but not the least - one should realize that these two boards are not competing in any way. Both have their own way of running - with their own personal merits and appeal, but in the end both of them belong to the very same Xisto Corporation. Quite frequently you'll find mods and admins from both boards sharing/exchanging ideas on administration and helping each other grow. :huh:

That's about it I guess...

Best Regards,

m^e