xisto Community
SoCalAztec

Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 The good and bad about each

Theoretically it's crippled, and according to the article the development kit is a pain to use also. It doesn't neccessarily mean that there will not be any good games, or that the PS3 will fail miserably. Obviously it does not bode well, but I don't believe we should write off a success just yet.

I think the PS3 is going to be a better system but Sony really botched up by not releasing the PS3 earlier. By the time the PS3 comes out the X360 will have the market cornered. Also, I don't see a whole lot of conversation about Nintendo's Wii here... Sure, they're not claiming that it is going to be super-powerful, but as they put it at nintendo, gaming is about "having fun..." :)

I've got an xbox 360 it is a million times better than the origanal the graphics on the games are so realistic it is out of this world and plus it's out so you don't have to wait!Also they have released it later because they have had problems so there might be problems with it (playstation 3)!

I'm a former sony fanboy, but $599, Giant enemy crabs with weak points for massive damage and RIIIIDGGEEE RRAAACCEERRRR kinda killed E3 for me, and I bought an x360. So far I'm really digging Dead Rising (as are ~450,000 other americans <_<) and Ninety Nine Nights is great too. Defintly worth $400 :P

Latest news is that Sony hasn't even begun production of the PS3 yet despite the release date only being about three months away (remember Microsoft started production months in advance of the release and still had severe shortages). Not to mention the fact that Sony hasn't given the third party launch title developers SDKs and documentation so they can't actually complete any games yet.

Vivendi has released screenshots of F.E.A.R. for PS3 here and I have to say I'm not wowed. They're certainly better than PS2 graphics but I've seen better on the original Xbox. If you think these screenshots aren't so bad go IGN here for a comparison.

If you have to choose between PS3 and XBOX360, I base my decision on a number of things.

Games - Which one has better games that appeal to your liking?

Cost - Are you looking for a console that is cheap, or are you willing to spend a lot of money?

Graphics - If you really want a console, I would at least glance at this topic.

Competition - Is there ANY other console that is better?

Power - Self explanatory.

Screen Resolution - Don't want it to be blurry, do we?

Online Capabilities - XBOX has XBOX Live...what will PlayStation have?

But it's still your choice...

I would choose the XBOX360 on a count of the money, because I would buy an iPod video on the side with the spare money that I didn't spend on the PS3. But that's ONLY my decision... tongue.gif

Games - Xbox 360 has a much better veriety of games at present

Cost - Xbox 360 is cheaper

Graphics - From the Real ps3 graphics both consoles graphics are about the same

Power - Yes the ps3 has more power

Screen Resolution - Same for both of them

Online Capabilities - Xbox has xbox live

Xbox 360- 3

PS3 - 1

Draw- 2

I like my xbox 360 and i think the ps3 is very overrated. Just my opinion

Yes but although the Xbox 360 has Xbox Live, The Playstation 3 has online gaming too. But I do agree with you that the Playstation 3 can be compaired easily to the Xbox 360 graphics-wise. Yet at the same time, the PS3 is capable of being the more powerful system in that aspect, we're just not seeing this because so far (and mabye never) we haven't seen a game bring out the true power in the PS3.

I was talking to one of my friends and he heard that the reason tht they r waiting to release PS3 is becasue the graphics are gunna be so good they have not found a good enough programs to make the games yet. they are supposed to look like real life not jus a bunch of shapes that are put together. he makes games in school and he takes him about 30minutes per character in ps2 quality but when he says it would take him like a week because all the characters will be hand drawn b4 they are added to the game to make them personalized i personally think that u should wait for ps3

i personaly think that xbox has great graphics. i was playing BF2 at my house then went to my friends and i was amazed. it was like a huge diffrence. Im not very fimiliar with Play stations but i once played one and i thought the graphics werednt that good. but on the other had ps2 does have some awsome games that you dont find on xbox. also considering they both have good games the other doesnt. but i do think you should wait for the ps3 and check it out before you make your desision. for all you know you can buy your xbox 360 and see a ps3 and think you made a horable mistake. well its all up to you but that is just my oppinion.

I know that the ps3 will have online gaming but did anyone know the the ps2 had online gaming? Playstation just get it all wrong with online gaming in the past. I played it on my ps2 and every time i played i would get bored of waiting and connections ..... mabe sony will improve but i doubt it, they would have figured it out with the ps2 and updated it through the internet or when they brought the slim line they would have made it better

Let's see.

From IGN articles, the 360 sweeps audiences. Here it is summed up.

Xbox 360 -

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:

* Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.

* The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.

* Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance

* The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.

* Memory System Bandwidth

* The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3's by five times.

The Xbox 360's CPU has more general purpose processing power because it has three general purpose cores, and Cell has just one.

Cell's claimed advantage is on streaming floating point work which is done on its seven DSP processors.

The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3's. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.

Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360's (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.

Here's a Table of IGN's PS3 vs. 360

Posted Image

Eh.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

The PS3 pwns XBOX 360. End of story.Although XBOX has more features, PS3 has better games, like GTA series and Ratchet and clank (which pwns you). I would get a PS3 over a 360

The PS3 pwns XBOX 360. End of story.Although XBOX has more features, PS3 has better games, like GTA series and Ratchet and clank (which pwns you). I would get a PS3 over a 360

GTA is on XBOX!!!! Halo owns any title on PS. Never had any problems with my 360, did not buy when they first came out.

"Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance." Quoted from IGN.

Sony has nothing that can compare to Xbox live. You can download game demos, tv shows, music videos and lots of other stuff.

Well, I just got to see several PS3s in action and I have to say I'm not wowed. The graphics were excellent of course but I didn't look at them and go, "OMG, that's $%@ good looking!". I more looked at it and went "meh". It seems to have the same graphical 'annoyance' as the other playstations in that it looks over sharp and slightly pixely. And before you whine a b*tch, these were on HD Sony Bravia tvs so no excuses there.On the other hand, when I first saw the 360 in action, I said to myself "holy sh*t!".I also got to see a blu-ray player and was very definitely not wowed. It was again on an HD tv but the HD tv playing National Geographic channel right beside it looked miles better!I'm sure of course that we will end up with a PS3 but only because of the PS3 exclusive games not because I think it is better or even equal to the 360.Until such time as we get one, I am very happy with our 360.

I am yet to see one in action but looking at videos af actual gameplay side by side, they look almost identical (check out the madden footage) and here is something interesting, does anybody remember i said "the game developers can not be bothered to make games which use all of the playstations power, they will be making games for both consoles and they wont be starting again each time" or words to that effect. Well look what has come out, Call of Duty 3, and it is for xbox 360 and ps3, and no they didn't start from scratch on the ps3 version to get good use of that power, it is just the xbox 360 version ported over!

I have seen them side by side and they don't stack up. And the reason that game developers don't use the full system power is because the PS3 is very difficult to code for. Not to mention that when consoles first come out, developers never code to a system's full potential. Nor has the 360s limit been reached yet.
There is also the issue of loading time - the PS3 has very bad loading times and if they code to the system's full 'potential' load times will be even worse. Of course they have made a work around for this by giving users the option to 'install' a game onto the PS3s HDD BUT given that the games take up 5GB+, even the 60GB HDD won't last long.

it is just the xbox 360 version ported over!

As I said, that would be because the 360 is far more 'coder friendly' - naturally developers would build a game on a system that is easy to code on and then port the program to the other system. Given this, 360/PS3 cross-platform games are going to look virtually identical and it says nothing about the graphical 'eyecandy' prowess of either system.