xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Arin Sky

What Makes An Rpg Good? graphics...IGMs...playability..or what?

same qualities of a game atract me too! but i also look at the country of origin. you know. my favorite mmorpg is maplestory why?:-anime like chaacters-extremely hard-fun-2d not 3d-a lot to explore-all my friends play it-and other stuff.haha other people hate it cause its 2d

For me, a huge contributing factor are the graphics...I just can not stand games that have 2d and/or Nintendo 64 style graphics. I need the most up-to-date ones.Another one is the playability. I can not stand games where there is not a lot to do, or it is too hard to do. Just following a straight storyline is boring. It needs twists, turns, choices that affect outcomes, and things like puzzles.Aside from that, I do not really require a lot. I mean the storyline itself is not that important. There are some games with great storylines that suck, and vice versa.The characters are not that meaningful to me. I enjoy the game itself more than following who everyone is.So one example of a favorite RPG of mine is Kingdom Hearts/Kingdom Hearts 2. These were just awesome, although they do seem a little childish if you have never played them.

For me, it depends on several factors: In a 1 player game, first and foremost is immersion. For that, you need at least decent graphics, a good musical score, and a deep, compelling story. Then comes the parts of the game itself; the playability and the game mechanics. The game has to be challenging, yet rewarding.

MMO's are a different story. They also need graphics, music, and a good story, sure, but the most important factor is the community. If, for example, the game is filled with 12 year olds with no grammar skills, then you're probably not going to have a good time playing it. On the other hand, if you find a tight group of friends, people like you, then you're going to enjoy the game much more.

-reply by Gilgamesh