xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DjLuki

Layout Size

anybody know what the size of a layout is so it fills the whole window.. is it 1024 x 800 or w/e it is? i've tried it before but when i publish it, you usualy have to scroll horizontally and i dont want that.. i want it to fit perfectly on the window.. (mke my sites on photoshop)

anybody know what the size of a layout is so it fills the whole window.. is it 1024 x 800 or w/e it is?  i've tried it before but when i publish it, you usualy have to scroll horizontally and i dont want that.. i want it to fit perfectly on the window.. (mke my sites on photoshop)

225815[/snapback]

My book says 1006 by 732 is the average screen content size to keep from having scroll bars. Anybody else know better?

Well, I have an 800 x 640 or whatever it is, I really don't know.Consequently, I am forever having to use the scrollbars on pages which are not "fluid", meaning the layout adjusts to "display size". This can be done using percentage sizes rather than pixels. Lots of information available if you Google up "fluid css design" and you'll see what I mean. But, aside from all that, if you fix the size in pixels, the percentage of people with 800 wide are still going to have to use a scrollbar and those with larger screens will have a right-hand margin that will need to be filled, so there is no right way on these things. The information I've read lately says that a larger percentage of users are using the 1024 width, so if I had to design in pixels, that's what I would base it on.

Usually just subtracting 20 pixels from the width will help for all resolutions. Since scrollbars take up 20 pixels, unless people modified their scrollbar width.

Usually just subtracting 20 pixels from the width will help for all resolutions. Since scrollbars take up 20 pixels, unless people modified their scrollbar width.

225880[/snapback]

I didn't knew you could change the width of your scrollbars, do you have any idea how to do that?

anybody know what the size of a layout is so it fills the whole window.. is it 1024 x 800 or w/e it is?  i've tried it before but when i publish it, you usualy have to scroll horizontally and i dont want that.. i want it to fit perfectly on the window.. (mke my sites on photoshop)

225815[/snapback]

Having webpages with scrollbars are normal and probably pretty much required to get the interface much in-place. Unless you are using iframes all over your webpage to squeeze contents in a small area, the scrollbar will only appear inside your iframe. Otherwise, having a recommended template size of 800x600 will be just nice for many users and web-browsers because every web-browser generate the outlook differently. Each computer screen resolution also takes the matter of how websites will look on their screen. Scrollbars will automatically be generated if web contents are out of their screen resolutions. Different browsers may support differently as well, and some may not follow the proper web standards.

Therefore, there's no standard way to force a standard size of your web contents because every user views your webpages differently, although the contents are the same.

If you use Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera to surf same sites, you will see their differences of how different browsers display the sites to you. They are minor but pretty major if you are concerned about its interface.

I didn't knew you could change the width of your scrollbars, do you have any idea  how to do that?

225888[/snapback]

Having Windows skins replaced may change scrollbar layout and graphics. Width can therefore be edited. However, you cannot manually change the size of your scrollbar, be it in your browser or Windows Explorer. Neither can you change the sizes using javascript or any other codings from your webpages.

I didn't knew you could change the width of your scrollbars, do you have any idea  how to do that?

Not sure about other Windows, but in Windows XP, under Display Properties (Right-click on desktop > properties), "Appearance" tab > Advanced > Item: Scrollbar : Size. You can make the scrollbars bigger or smaller. But, if you were asking how to do this by means of JavaScript, or some other programming language, then I dont know.

You might be able to get your layout to fit perfectly on your screen, but you'll never be able to get it that way on everyone's. There's just too many variables to factor in: OS, screen resolution, browser type, text size, how many toolbars they've got installed, whether they view maximised or not taking up the full window.

Having Windows skins replaced may change scrollbar layout and graphics. Width can therefore be edited. However, you cannot manually change the size of your scrollbar, be it in your browser or Windows Explorer. Neither can you change the sizes using javascript or any other codings from your webpages.

225894[/snapback]

An edit for myself.. You can change the size of your scrollbar manually.. Thanks to the information from truefusion.

Here's a screenshot..

Posted Image

you know what i just make my layouts all 800 by 600. I dont think anybody uses a lower resolution anymore or alteats there are a few left. Yeh. that's my standard. ANyone with a larger screen can view it so its fine. the colors might be little different but its all good.

Replying to DjLukiI don't know how old this thread is but I usually maximize my web browser, "print screen", paste that into Photoshop and use it as a template to keep everything I want in one screen. Hope this helps.-reply by R_Nizzle

I hope I can asnwer your question.

In order that your layout fits in the monitor and need not to scroll it vertically/ horizontally, you should crop the image so it fits perfectly on the monitor. 

-reply by robert