xisto Community
Moolkye

What Is Your Favorite Portal Or Cms? What is your favorite Portal or CMS?

The Joomla community 9along with it's extensive list of components and other extensions) is really booming. Andwith the release of Joomla 1.5 on the horizon, things are really looking good.Mambo is not doing too well last I looked, losing developer popularity to Joomla. My say would be to begi your site with Joomla.WordPress doing very well too, coming up as one of the most popular blogging platforms around. The selection of plugins for it too is quite large.

I am swiched on Joomla after mambo . but i think its a same wrapper joomla improve GUI and now is better ?? (:

Joomla started off of the mambo codebase, and is a seperate project. Joomla has features that mambo doesn't, and vice versa. One real striker between the two is that in the next major release of Joomla (version 1.5, which is currently in beta), basically everything about Joomla has been overhauled: the Admin has a new look, the API and framework has been changed and many other improvements are present.
If you use Joomla right now, don't worry about your currently-installed extensions, because Joomla 1.5 has backwards compatibility included for legacy components, modules, mambots (aka plugins) and templates.
Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

I used Joomla on another site I had. It worked pretty well for me. WordPress is very simple and good for begginers. I used it on my first site. G' Morning and Happy Saturday from Imtay22!

my fav cms system hmmi got a few of them running at this moment on my portable localhostbut still i like php-nuke the most of them all, next is dragonfly and on the last place joomla ...i really hate that cms, it made me fail at a exam cause it suddenly stopped functioningterrible system, bah:P well fellow joomla users, i hope it never happens to you, cause when it crashes, ur done ^^i had to totally reconfigure it and then it still gave some unexpected errorsso far my experiences with joomla lol

I'm partial to Joomla, personally. I haven't used a lot of others extensively, though. Joomla and Wordpress, primarily. I'd like to try some of the others, but I'm too lazy to do so. Takes too much time to upload those on my connection. Joomla seems to be the most hopeful one. Though I haven't used Joomla a lot yet. I have no real use for a CMS at the moment.

I like Movable Type a lot; it's easy when you've grasped it, but hard to start out on. For the beginner, I recommend Wordpress -- for the slightly more advanced, TextPattern or Expression Engine (something I really want to try), or if you use Ruby, Radient or SimpleLog -- both of which are very impressive. There's always Symphony too. But Movable Type is a bit more customizable from the beginning, I feel, because it has flat template files, which Wordpress doesn't do very well (in my opinion). The problem with WP is that it divides a template into many different sections, which isn't always necessary. It works if you have a header and footer that will never change, but not if you want full and easy control over your website.Portal sites are fading out, I think. I haven't seen a PHPNuke, Mambo, or Joomla site in a good long time, which is probably a good thing. For the web-nazi in me, I like how the table-based portal sites are fading out, but I know that they're being replaced -- for the better -- by new scripts that will do the job more effectively; but back on topic:As far as ease of use goes, Wordpress tops the list. It's a great CMS; but it, like every other platform out there, needs some work.

I always like portal because of many things..one is the way or style..It's kind of easy to use and they are many styles you can choose from..another thing I like about it is that it's a good starter if you have a forum or website what other way can you have something this great I recommend this to anyone who is making their websites it won't put you down :P

I like Joomla portal and Xaraya too , xaraya has many options that jommla doesn't have take a look at it you'll see

I haven't seen a PHPNuke, Mambo, or Joomla site in a good long time, which is probably a good thing. For the web-nazi in me, I like how the table-based portal sites are fading out, but I know that they're being replaced -- for the better -- by new scripts that will do the job more effectively; but back on topic:
As far as ease of use goes, Wordpress tops the list. It's a great CMS; but it, like every other platform out there, needs some work.

Either it's hard to tell that they are running Mambo/Joomla if you don't look, or maybe you're right.....

With the exception of the core components in the current versions of Mambo and Joomla, you can eliminate tables. Templates aren't required to be built on tables.

And yes, WordPress does rock. It's killing off alot of the competition. And with WordPress.com, blogging has never been easier.

What is your favorite Portal or CMS?
I personally like Joomla
https://www.joomla.org/

What about the rest of you guys and gals?

Dan

Hey...Joomla seems to be the clear winner in this contenst of best CMS contest.I am also a fan of joomla.PHP-izabi is very good social networking CMS.
But I recently SEO of Joomla is poor.They say wordpress is best for SEO.Actually, I do not know how much CMS platform can affect your pagerank.Can anybody explain a bit about this.

For normal sites, Siteframe is my absolute favorite type of CMS to use. For Wikis, there's no rival to Mediawiki for most of my purposes. There are times I've used Dokuwiki successfully because it just works, however. These are for primarily documentation situations. I absolutely dispise Joomla, however.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

i got introduced to the world of cms , through a fren of mine., he is a linux freak , and works for a major open source community , my best cms can be categorized as follows:Website:JoomlaForum:phpbb2Photo cmsGalleryBlog:Wordpress