xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vblk

Donate Idle Cpu Time To Google For Research donate without spending a cent

DONATE YOUR TIME TO SAVE THE WORLD!!

I recently found that you can actually donate your computers idle time to help scienntific research. The feature is downloadble with a special Gogle toolbar and th feature can be enabled or disabled at any time! So people come on! Donate some of the useless time on your computer to be a part of some of the greatest discoveries in this century! :(:(

I recently found that you can actually donate your computers idle time to help scienntific research. The feature is downloadble with a special Gogle toolbar and th feature can be enabled or disabled at any time! So people come on! Donate some of the useless time on your computer to be a part of some of the greatest discoveries in this century! :(  :(

224283[/snapback]

The address is : "toolbar.google.com/dc/offerdc.html"

That reminds of the SETI program.. used your idle processor time to help SETI with their research. I'll check this out once my computer is functioning properly (have some issues with it crashing under med-high processor usage.. probably a cooling issue).

I almost always have my torrent client running, and on top of that, I have a feeling there wouldn't be much remaining bandwidth for this. Besides, I'm not overly comfortable with someone using my computer to do something, no matter how noble they may say it is (or stuipd, as is the case for the "largest prime number" or "highest digit of pi" research, which is compeletely useless).

Ok, cool. I downloaded it, Im going to use it whenever Im just reading or navigating in the internet, make the most out of my cpu to help others sounds really good.

This idea sounds pretty good as long as Google keeps all of their software and services free. I think it is pretty cool that instead of your computer wasting electricity on your wasted processor capability you can actually help someone with discovering something on the computer. If I were to do this I would like to be recognized in some way though, I am not just going to give away my CPU capability without getting any credit for it.

I recently found that you can actually donate your computers idle time to help scienntific research. The feature is downloadble with a special Gogle toolbar and th feature can be enabled or disabled at any time! So people come on! Donate some of the useless time on your computer to be a part of some of the greatest discoveries in this century! :)  :rolleyes:

224283[/snapback]

Sounds kind of dumb at first. But sure I'll donate "idle" time. I wander if that'll lead to a new way to hack computers lol. I hope it leads to good discoveries. Instead of dangerous discoveries.

lol, i'm posting on this 4 months old post because i want to bring up this post to everyone on the forum again. I would recommand everyone to install this program and contribute to science. Who knows, one day we might be saved as the result of this research.

Why waste your computer power when just browsing the web or just listen to music that doesn't require much processing.

there are hundreds of thousands of people that are running the program, so don't afriad of this as some sort of scam or people attempt to hack your computer. Just be realisitc, what would they benefit from hacking your computer?

you can download the stand-alone version at http://folding.stanford.edu/

it's a program that simliates protein folding and send the result back to the main server. This helps sciencists understand the structure of proteins and may result in curing a lot of illnesses.

if you are running the stand-alone version and interested in join my team of computing then under "team ID" type 41708. Join a team to compete with other team for ranking (running on a credit system). THe more "work-units" you computed, the more credit you will get.

If you downloaded the google version, i think you are defaulted under the "google team".

Well, if most of you are still not convinced, then at least tell your friends about it to see if they are interested. I'm thinking to proposing this to my school to see if they are interested in running on school comptuer since it's just there for nothing.