xisto Community
delivi

Lightscribe Personalise Your CD/DVD

I was thinking about purchasing a LiteScribe, but the last time I checked they only had one color available, which was black and white. Is color available yet? I think the only way I'd invest in something like that was if the machine could print in color. Otherwise, why would I want all my disks to have that "burned look." I would use it for business reasons, and I feel that color is looks more appealing and "professional."

LightScribe is currently the best idea for labeling DVDs. Although you need to purchase special LightScribe CDs or DVDs, it is safer for your player to play because stick-on labels can rip off and burn up inside the circutry of the player. LightScribe is permanent or near-permanent onto the CD face, and looks better in the end because you can place images and such onto the face.To write an image onto the face, you first write the text onto the CD or DVD, then eject the CD or DVD, and flip it. You put it back in and design the cover on the built-in or self-installed product on the computer, and print instead of to the printer, you select the "LightScribe Printer Driver". It writes the image, and, when the process is complete (usually takes about 20 minutes), it automatically ejects your CD or DVD and it is ready for you to use.

Here are few sample LightScribe Labels .

Click on the Thumbnails to view full Label

Posted Image

Album Label

Posted Image

Frost Label

Posted Image

Ginger Label

Posted Image

Holiday Music Label

Posted Image

Package Label

Posted Image

Pie Label

Posted Image

Snow Flakes Label

Posted Image

Stars Label

Posted Image

Trees Label

Source: My LightScribe label Collection

Overall answers: LightScribe is black and white only. You can buy the media at many online retailers (type lightscribe dvd or cd into Froogle or PriceGrabber), and the burning process takes time. The label is on a gold colored surface, and won't peel like paper labels.

I heard about it recently in the APC User magazine, it looks like a very good idea. The only fault I have heard about is the time it takes for it to scribe the image (if you can call it a image?) onto the CD. According to some PC Magazines, it can take around 28 minutes!

I can't imagine how a laser would cut in color, anyway, so it makes sense it's only "black and white."I must say, those labels are very impressively detailed. Thanks for posting them, Delivi.

You are welcome Cerebral Stasis. The Black & White label is due to the reaction of the dye coated on the label side of the LightScribe Media when the laser beam falls of it. My Concept is that the color labels can be created by coating the labels with a type of dye that can produce different colors based on the intensity of the Laser beam incident on it. So by just varying the intensity of the beam a light scribe drve can create colorful labels. Let's expect that this becomes true soon.

thank you my question as been answered so there is a light scribe or there is other lightscribe 3rd party disc :rolleyes: <a href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1519678&CatId=1937 party </a> well the thing is lol i dont have credit card lol so my only option would be Pay By call..... well if someone find a pay by call wich ill say maybe impossible Light scribe CD-R or DVD-r conctance me please

Lightscribe is now getting more popular and many have started buying LightScribe Enabled disk. As the number of customers raise the prices will start to decrease. I'am expecting this to happen within next year. If the price becomes affordable the I'd definitely go for a Lighscribe drive in addition to my DVD RAM drive.Hope this will happen soon.

I hate products like this where everyhting sounds fine and dandy but in fact it jus creates more problems than it solves...as snipe said where could you get these discs?I dont like the sound of this program why not settle for a simple label maker?

Yes LightScribe is Expensive at present. But as it gains popularity and mass acceptance the prices will go down and will become affordable to the comman man.

I dont like the sound of this program why not settle for a simple label maker?

Label makers can be expensive (you need a special adhesive sheet of paper, a special printing application, etc.), and it can be difficult to put the labels onto the disks (one needs a little device in order to get it properly centered and such, or else one ends up with a sticky mess). They both have their advantages, but this looks like it may be the best way to create a colorless label (especially since the label can't be torn off or something).

Well, I like the LightScribe, because of its laser technique features!! But when I planned to purchase a DVD - Burner by itself i thought of lightscribe drive and went to purchase it.. But the price really amazed me.!! Its like 150$ for the Burner!! I then went to another shop.. the same price! Its really expensive and also you need seperate CD / DVD media to print on to the CD/DVD.. :huh: