xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
googlue

Gmail Alternative! Yahoo! 1gb! dont despair if you dont have GMail...

FREE 1 GB YAHOO ACCOUNT WITH POP3!!!

Here's how: Follow the instructions carefully...

1. Create a Yahoo ID. You can create one here:
copy paste this link on ur address : <snipped>

2. UNCHECK the 'Create my free Yahoo! email address'. Give an alternate non-yahoo email address.
3. Complete the procedures, then logout.
4. Activate your chinese-domain email adress by going to cn.mail.yahoo.com 
5. Fill in your newly created Yahoo ID and password and click the button below.
6. Type anything on the two text boxes that appears. I don't know what the labels say either.
7. You will have initially 100 MB of email space.
8. Logout.
9. Login to Yahoo Messenger ( YM ), using your newly created Yahoo ID.
if you don't have YM installed, donwload it here: messenger.yahoo.com/ 
10. Add at least a contact/friend. If you don't have anyone to add, add this ID: chowyeuw
11. Logout.
12. Go to cn.mail.yahoo.com
13. Click the *glowing* 1G icon.
14. A new page will be opened on a new browser window.
15. Fill in your newly created Yahoo ID and password on the the 2 text boxes below. Then click the yellow button under.[ I think it says Sign-in]
16. Just click the 2 big yellow buttons that appear succesively.
17. Now you have 0% of 1.0GB !!!

Your default language will be English, with free POP3.

This must be good news for those without Gmail account!
Your email ID would be yourname@yahoo.com.cn
Googlue!

Thanks, even though I have gmail, this is very interesting, I will try this out.Why do you have to log in through a chinese page? Is this service only offered to Chinese people? I already have a yahoo id, can't I get 1gb with that ID?

Yeah very interesting, what actually does the im have to do with getting 1 gb of space? Anyways great job on this find!

When you get a Yahoo! ID without signing for free Email, it is for the purpose of using Yahoo! messenger. So log in and out once so that the system recognizes you as a legitimate user...
Try without that, you cannot get 1GB LOL!

hmm, interesting. I don't really need that much space, but does it really work? But if you're not in China, the .cn would probably throw people off and easily forgotten. When I got to int'l sites, I forget the little addition of .uk, .tw, etc. all the time <_<

Does anyone really use a whole gb of space for their email? i have gmail and haven't used a percent yet, and i've got a lot of emails that have gone undeleted for a long time.

This really depends on what you use the email account for. I have like 750 MB's used on my gmail already, possibly more.

Some uses that people find for email accounts(myself included) are to send files using, to host files, etc.

For example if you have a 300 MB file and don't want to host it yourself or use one of those free programs that bogs down all of your resources with ads, you can just make a gmail account, send the file to that account, and then allow others to log into it to download the file.

i still prefer gmail to yahoo because i have 2 yahoo accounts and the just get more and more spam every day and it is just SO ANNOYING and i deleted them... gmail is better in many ways for one i have never seen an ad or spam and the other IT LOOKS BETTER AND NOT IN CHINEESE

Let me start with my problems with yahoo. First problem is more spam in it. Flash ads slow the browser down. New interface is slow and buggy, not suitable for slow connection. Like when you add attachments to your email then it will definitely take more time than gmail. One more advantage from gmail is that they allow mailbox for organizations . so if you purchase domain from xisto or from any network then you can purchase your domain name and register with gmail to have your own domain's gmail box.Besides that it's just 1GB way less than Gmail 7GB. Video chat is supported as well on gmail which is not supported on yahoo mail. Yahoo mail has option of folders which is also there in gmail with labels and stars. I'm not sure if chat history can be saved in yahoo mail or elsewhere. but gmail allows you to view your chat history in gmail inbox.More and more features we digg when we compare yahoo and gmail. and we'll see pointer moves more towards gmail than yahoo.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Gmail had pop3 aswell doesnt it?With a little hack its posible :lol:

GMail does support POP3. Here are the settings that you need to make in your email client:

Incoming mail server name: pop.gmail.com
Incoming mail server port: 995
Use SSL

Outgoing mail server name: smtp.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server port: 465/587
Use Authentication
Use STARTTLS/TLS/SSL

Provide your email address as your username and use your GMail password.

BTW, you first have to enable POP3 from the Settings page on GMail.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

Besides that it's just 1GB way less than Gmail 7GB.

If you really need lots of space, you ought to try RediffMail - it provides unlimited storage. Sure, they don't have all the fancy bells and whistles of other email services, but it provides all the storage you'd ever need.

Video chat is supported as well on gmail which is not supported on yahoo mail.

Personally, I prefer to run GoogleTalk but unfortunately, the Windows client doesn't support video chat. Having something work through the browser by installing an ActiveX control also means that it may not work for everybody. I'd rather have a standalone application with builds available for both Windows and Linux (and one for my buddies running Mac OS X too)

I'm not sure if chat history can be saved in yahoo mail or elsewhere. but gmail allows you to view your chat history in gmail inbox.

I personally like this feature of GMail/GoogleTalk - saving chats lets me go back and search for phone numbers and stuff. I wish Yahoo and other chat services would provide something similar.