xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
triplebtalk

Macs Do Star Wars Dirty Work by Spencer Kelly

Haha, it reminds me of the time at school were I was learning to develop film and also how to clean it :P . Cleaning film is so hard, I only had to do 24 photos, they have to do millions :P

That sounds really awesome. Incredibly, painstakingly long. But awesome. I would like to see how all of that works. Especially upconverting the film to HD.

Another real old post brought back to life, lol.Man, reading up on that...That is a lot of hardware... I was trying to imagine it and wow...How can they even network all of that together? I can understand the HDD, but all the cpu's?And keep them from crashing every 3 minutes?lol..

Behind the scenes, painstaking effort and computing power has gone into cleaning up George Lucas's original Star Wars trilogy for its DVD release.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-- "600 Apple G5s, each a dual processor 2GHz machine." WOW! imagine if you can have that processing power in your hands. :lol:

That's simply amazing. I wonder what they use to distribute the load across the server farm. I can imagine removing a piece of dirt from the film, but turning the grainy images into high definition goodness sounds like it's got to take a lot of work - take a new picture under the same lighting and get it into the film to look like it was a part of the original shot.

Adobe Photoshop is quite stable on the Mac. You can work with really high resolution images without crashing. On the PC, Adobe Photoshop usually tosses an error dialog onto the screen and goes bye-bye.

Regards,

Nitin Reddy

Adobe Photoshop is quite stable on the Mac. You can work with really high resolution images without crashing. On the PC, Adobe Photoshop usually tosses an error dialog onto the screen and goes bye-bye.
Regards,
Nitin Reddy

I don't really agree with that statement, main due to the fact that my PC is not very high end and I work on pieces with 2.7 gig psds at 8000x6000 without crashing.