xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Thorned Rose

Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You? Whats your opinion

Is Milk and Milk products to your understanding GOOD or BAD for you?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Milk can hardly be bad for you. look at it it this way: everyone of us (well most of us anyway) as well as most every other mammal lived several weeks/months on nothing but pure milk. In essence, milk is enough to live on (kind of like eggs) though of course anything in excess can be harmful.

If milk really "wasn't good for you" there would be a lot of dead/dieing baby animals/people...

Humans produce lactase and rennin (two chemicals that aid in the digestion of milk) up until 3 years of age. This means that humans are perfectly fine having human milk before 3 but NOT after. Milk is for babies/toddlers but not for humans after the age of three. Also, human milk does not contain much iron, so at age 6 months a baby must start having solid foods rich in iron (at 6 months, a baby's iron stores run out) so even human milk is not perfect on it's own. It is perfect on it's own up till 4 months when you should start introducing solids, and the perfect main food up until one year of age, than the perfect top up until 3 years of age - but not perfect on it's own.

There are a lot of dead and dying humans. The number one killer is heart disease and as I quoted:

"Milk and milk products gave the highest correlation coefficient to heart disease, while sugar, animal proteins and animal fats came in second, third, and fourth, respectively."

- A Survey of Mortality Rates and Food Consumption Statistics of 24 Countries, Medical Hypothesis 7:907-918, 1981

So it does kill people.

Come on, be real, guys. Whoever voted for milk or milk products are bad for your bones are crazy. It's studied in science over and over again. It has been scientifically proven that it is good for you. I don't really like milk, but I do drink it. The kids in these forums should drink at LEAST 3 cups of milk, daily. By 35, your bone strength will be determined by how much calcium you have gotten. If your calcium you have gotten before 35 was not a lot, then your bones will be weak, and you might get chances of arthritis. It will be easier for you to hurt your bones. Trust me, you don't feel the pain now, but you will. If you really, really can't stand milk, I suggest you eat cheese, yogurt, and as a last resort, calcium pills.

Yes it has been studied in science which is why I say it is bad. ALL of the facts I have quoted have come from research and doctors. It has never been proven to be good for you. That idea comes from a time (starting in the 1920s) when no general research was being done but western society was having huge problems with things like Osteomalacia (Rickets - lack of vitamin D resulting in calcium deficiency), dental problems, poor growth in children etc so to address the problem governments chose to promote milk (which was cheap and easy to get) to children and parents to 'cure' and prevent these illnesses. Before this time milk consumption was fairly low. Now you might say that these illnesses came about because of low milk consumption. In actual fact is was because of the industrial revolution. Pre-industrial people used to do a lot of manual labor outside which meant they were exposed to enough sunlight to get Vitamin D however during and after the revolution people found themselves in buildings and living in very smoggy cities which meant they did not get enough UVB exposure to get sufficient Vitamin D. Even so, milk still does not contain enough vitamin D to fix the problem, which is why governments ordered the dairy industry to add Vitamin D to milk. For example:

"In 1932, Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations required that 400 units of rat poison be added to every quart of milk sold in America."

Rat poison you ask? What's that got to do with anything? Well, vitamin D is a common rat poison. Too much vitamin D in an animals body (such as rats and humans) causes calcium to leach from bones severely weakening them.

Oh and I agree with you that you need a lot of calcium to prevent osteoporosis and arthritis etc, but not from milk. There is more and better calcium in dark leafy greens and sesame seeds than there is in milk. My children drink calcium fortified rice milk and I have to take calcium supplements (my M.E. causes calcium malaborption which is the only reason why I take a supplement). Oh and I very much uunderstand the pain of things like arthritis. My M.E. also causes Myalgia (that would be the Myalgic part of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) which is muscle and joint pain.

I did not get my information from any dairy corporation. I wouldnt say i didnt my get information from society, cause you cant say that either.

No I can't say that - I get my information from research and doctors.

I highly doubt that statement is 100% correct. As for the 50% of children in the US, that's more believable, but not 100% accurate since it was stated in 1994. The percentage could have grown or shrunk

"Overall, about 75 percent of the world's population, including 25 percent of those in the U.S., lose their lactase enzymes after weaning."

- J. of the American Dietetic Assoc. 1996; 96

Seens as you don't believe me, maybe you will believe the doctor I quoted. OR

"The National Medical Association promotes the collective interests of physicians and patients of African descent. Please explain to me how this association came about when the vast majority of people of African descent (80% to 90%) cannot drink milk because of lactose intolerance; causing them diarrhea, stomach cramps and gas."

- Bertron P. Racial bias in federal nutrition policy, Part I: The public health implications of variations in lactase persistence. J Natl Med Assoc. 1999 Mar;91(3):151-7.

You might argue again that this percentage has changed and I'm sure that it has changed by a percent or two but last I knew, human physiology and anatomy hasn't changed in the last 10 years or so.

Adults only need 5mcg of vitamin D daily. A microgram is one millionth of a gram.

Ummm... yeah. I did say, or rather the Journal of Paediatrics said that you only need 10-15 mintues of sunlight exposure 3 times a week to get enough vitamin D. And just to add to this: too much vitamin D is VERY bad for you. If you only need 10-15 mins of sun 3 times a week to get enough then drinking vitamin D fortified milk is giving you too much.

"Consuming as little as 45 micrograms of Vitamin D-3 in young children has resulted in signs of overdose." (one quart of milk contains 400 IU, or 10 micrograms)."

- Pediatrics, 1963; 31

"Vitamin D increases aluminum absorption, and high aluminum levels in the body may cause an Alzheimer's-like disease."

- Canadian Medical Association Journal 1992 147(9)

Not to mention that the Vitamin D they add to milk is a synthesized form which means it is not well metabolized by the body. I will once again quote:

"It has since been discovered that the Vitamin D necessary to absorb the calcium moving down the intestine must already have been in the bloodstream for a while; what is present with that calcium (in milk) is useless at that stage..."

- Vegetarian and Vegan Nutrition, by George Eisman, M.A., M.Sc., R.D.

Proof straight from the nutritional fact found on the milk carton, 25% of the daily amount for vitamin D is found in 1 serving of milk. One serving is one cup, one cup is 8 ounces. 8.5-ounce plastic cups can be found at a supermarket. If you were to drink from glasses as seen on milk commercials, that's about 2 servings. Meaning 2 of those glasses, you would get about 100% of your daily vitamin D RDA.

The dairy industry ADDS synthetic vitamin D. It is not natural and the vitamin D in milk provides too much D leading to overdose as I have already said.

"Information on milk cartons reveal that two ingredients fill the container: Milk and Vitamin D-3. Vitamin D-3 is used to kill rats! Why is it added to milk for our children to drink in the name of good health?

According to the Canadian brochure, products containing Vitamin D-3 (calciferol) kill by vitamin overdose after 3-4 days. The Vitamin D-3 actually mobilizes excessive amounts of calcium from an animal's bones.

And you thought that Vitamin D-3 in milk helped to absorb calcium. Another dairy industry myth!"

- Robert Cohen, Executive Director Dairy Education Board

Infact, i dont recall ever reading any information found on dairy company websites.

No probably not, but I'm sure you were told of the wonders of milk while you were in school, or seen the Got Milk ads. From Wikipedia:

"Got Milk? is a U.S. advertising campaign encouraging the purchase of cow's milk which was created by the agency Goodby Silverstein & Partners for the California Milk Board in 1993 and later licensed for use by milk processors (the Milk Processor Education Program) and dairy farmers (Dairy Management Inc.). It has been running since October, 1993. The campaign in credited with recucitating milk sales nationwide after a 20-year slump."

You may not have read it off the dairy industry's websites but you most certainly have been bombarded with what they want you to think.

At any rate, I started this thread to inform and educate people on the many milk myths, dangers, health risks and negative side effects. I only use reputable sources, not heresay and opinion.

It is ulimately your choice whether you listen to me (or rather the scientists and doctors I am quoting) or ignore the facts. I can only hope that you leave behind you bias and look at the facts with an open mind before you draw any conclusions. Please read the research and information on the Not Milk Website and gain an informed and balanced opinion.

I am aware of the side effects of too little and too much mineral and vitamin intake, and other nutrients. I could list them all if you want me to.As for me learning about milk in school: my state is known for its poor education, 2nd place, last i heard. And i cant remember a time about the teacher, any teacher, discussing about the benefits of milk. The "Got Milk?" ads, the first time i saw them, i knew they couldn't reduce fat. Then i noticed a change in the commercials, and they started mentioning to drink low-fat milk instead. I found that funny. As for Wikipedia, i don't use that site to get everything i care to learn about. I've found that site not to be beneficial in some areas. I, instead, get my information from sites/books that were made by doctors, nutrionists, and whatnot.Sure, milk and milk products have drawbacks, but they also have benefits. I'm not saying the benefits cancel out the drawbacks. But, for those people, like me, that milk has little or no affect on, don't need to stop drinking it. Though, i, myself, am not a follower of the ads that say to drink 2-3 cups daily. Even i know that's not required. You only need about 64% of most nutrients to stay healthy. Ratherthan, daily intake, weekly is the better way to go. Just like everything else.But, if you're going to blame milk for what they can do to us, why not blame the rest also? Besides milk and milk products; eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat and wheat products, corn, nuts and peanuts, fruits, and chocolate can cause serious/common allergies. I can list them all if you want.It's hard to keep track of everything, isnt it? I'm a fan of natural things. Most things recommended by doctors, i'm against. Cause i know there's a healthier, safer, and natural way of taking care of something. With far less side effects.

You gotta drink milk, does'nt matter if its from cows, goats,sheep or humans, the stuff's good for you.You drink enough for what your body needs, do not listen to all the know alls & do gooders they only tell you rubbish to make money.
Civilizations & nations survived on milk 'cause there was always plenty of animals around.
Use your commen sense.

One thing I haven't seen here, speaking of common sense, is we're not really talking about the same milk that has been consumed by people in history. Pasteurization is a relatively recent phenomena and heating the milk (and juice, and everything else that undergoes this process) not only kills harmful bacteria, it kills beneficial bacteria and enzymes. The only cheese I eat is made from RAW milk that is sourced from cows that haven't been treated with rBst or antibiotics. That way I'm eating a living vital food that nourishes me. It is not a good source of calcium; if you want a good source of calcium go eat your green veggies like broccoli. The growth hormones injected into cows to make them produce more milk has several impacts: First, the udder was only "designed" to accommodate a given amount of milk production and flow per day. When this virtual milk-making machine produces more milk then the teats were designed to handle, they become sore and soon puss will begin to leak into the milk. So when you drink that glass of 2%, just remember you're also ingesting a little bit of udder puss too. A further consequence of growth hormone is earlier onset of puberty in children. While this may not seem like a bad thing to you, there are many health risks to a human body that begins to mature before nature intended including reproductive health issues. Also, rBst has been shown to be a potential cause of breast tumors and obesity in children and adults alike.

Bottom line is if you're consuming anything that's been pasteurized, even if it's rBst-free or organic, you're still eating dead food so you're not going to gain much if any benefit from it. Pasteurized fruit juice is just sugar water. Maybe not so bad as soda pop, but not much better either. Pasteurized milk is, as Thorned Rose posted several times, actually harmful to you. A possible healthier alternative, if you can get it, might be raw goats milk or sheep milk. But, really, humans were only meant to drink human milk for the first few years of life. I hear coconut milk is healthy...

For those of you who hold on to your precious milk insisting it's not bad for you, consequence isn't a concern for you, but the consequences will catch up with you some day regardless. I only wish my mom had been informed of these things when I was growing up. Maybe today I wouldn't have asthma and a tendency to gain weight. Did you know that Elmer's Glue is made from milk? Mmmmmm..... glue....

Are milk and milk products good or bad for you?

Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You?

Replying to iwuvcookies

You have some good points here. But I'm wondering why so many stupid idiots are claiming milk is a "dead food". Heaven help the poor babies (be they calves, kids, lambs, or whatever) if this were the case! The yolk of an egg is intended to feed the growing baby bird rather than humans, yet its one of the best foods in the world. Milk is the same. Other people can make themselves miserable by avoiding it. I certainly don't intend to. Neither do I intend to believe the idiotic doctors who say you shouldn't have more than 2-3 eggs a week. The medical profession is always changing its mind about what foods we should eat and what we should avoid. Clueless bunch!

-reply by Laraine

Milk might not be fantastically good for you but there is no way that it could possibly be bad for you if we have been feeding it to our infant for so many years. At that young age a small change or bad thing to happen will result in major consequences. There could be manny negative side effects to it but if there are it could only possibly be in small doses. If you drink nothing but milk for a long time Im sure it will have very negative effects. There is quite alot of fat in it obviously as stated multiple times above, its bad to have a very high fat content in the body. There are few other bad things in milk but I'm certain there is no terrible things. If there was there would be much more deaths and illnesses and things.

Replying to Dagoth NereviarA HUMAN baby can drink HUMAN milk for the first months of its life.A COW baby can drink COW milk until it's big enough to fend for itself.A HUMAN ADULT does not drink HUMAN MILKA COW ADULT does not drink COWS MILK..So WHY in the HELL do ADULT HUMANS drink COWS MILK??A human baby drinking a humans milk will help it grow into a toddler, right? A COWS baby drinking a cow's milk will make the cow baby grow into a large cow. See why milk is so bad for human obesity? COWS MILK is BAD for HUMAN BEINGS. It is MADE for BABY COWS, NOT HUMANS.HUMANS DRINKING ANOTHER ANIMALS MILK INTRODUCES NEW TOXINS INTO THE BODY AND LEACHES CALCIUM FROM HUMANS. WHY DO YOU THINK EVERYONE IS DYING OF BONE CANCER AND SEVERAL DISEASES THAT SUPPOSED SCIENTISTS SAY WON'T OCCUR IF YOU DRINK MILK? IT'S BECAUSE MILK CAUSES THIS DISEASES.Use YOUR common sense...

Milk is not bad for you

Replying to Thorned Rose

Read this article. I am in agreement. Whole milk has all natural vitamins. So it IS good for you. But maybe just not in ridiculously large quantities. A glass a day or maybe every few days should be fine. But there's no need to be chugging.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by brandi

Everything is bad

Anything and everything is bad for you in to high of a proportion. The body contains many different elements and bacteria and in moderation is good. So to say milk is bad is ignorant. Balance is key in any diet or nutrition so milk is fine as long as the consumption of it is kept in moderation. That goes for anything else consumed as well.

-reply by Food Contender

the tasete is good but it is sometimes not good for my stomach.Milk is maily for kids and adults like me cannot sit down all day and takes milk.It is bad when taking rew but somtimes good for teas.

Milk is good for you! you need the calcium!! unless you're lactose intolerant...my dietician says skim milk is probably the best, less fat to clog your arteries but a similar amount of calcium

milk is bad for you!Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You?

now I'm not just saying milk is bad for you because it has fat in it it also leaches calcium from the body the calcium that they say that is in milk is only meant for baby cows! duh! imagine a baby cow drinking humans milk! a new born baby could absolutely NOT survive on cows milk! and did you know that they spend millions to hide the secret of milk so there buissness doesn't go broke it makes sense I believe that were only meant to eat things that have minerals and vitamens like that osteoperosis ad what a lode of rubbish! milk causes osteoperosis it doesn't prevent it! I bet that ad is just tomake people wan't to drink milk more! and maybe some cases of cancer are caused by milk! and did you know that certain parts of the world drink more milk and have more cases of osteoperosis? and some other deficiancys are caused by milk like obesity,eczema,bone cancer,asthma,vomiting,irratable bowl,sick feelings in the stomach and diarheah?

-reply by clarisse

there is nothing good in milk!Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You?

there are no vitamens in this calcium leaching from body, deadly product vitamen D is not natural in milk! you get vitamen D from the sun! there probably are vitamens actually but we don't get them! duh! baby cows do! do you think we are suposed to share with baby cows it is in fact stupidity we are stealing milk from baby cows and killing there parents give them a break!

-reply by clarisse

Actually.......Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You?

Actually, milk (or any other animal protein) takes calcium out of your body because calcium is needed to digest animal proteins such as milk. Milk does not have enough calcium in it to counter this effect, making it harmful to your bones. Milk is only needed when you are less then 2 years of age because it helps develop your sinuses. Milks main job is to give valuble protein and create mucus in young developing children.(and yes it does create mucus in adults too, leading to sinus problems and lack of oxygen delivered to cells) Also, commercial milk contains RBST, which has been shown to speed up the growth of cancer in humans. It also causes infections in the udders of cows, which causes them to excrete puss(which ends up in the milk). The dairy industry counters this by adding anti-biotics to the cows diet (which ends up in the milk) to stop any bacteria from getting in the milk. Also natural milk is a light brown color, which the dairy industry counters by adding some rather tasty bleach to the milk(sarcastic). I am just adding to what Thorned Rose has said. By the way, Cerb, none of this is idocy. Also, I do not recommend Soy Milk for women who have or have had breast, or ovarian cancer because soy products increases the amount of estrogen the body creates. It is for this reason men should also stay away from soy. 

-reply by joe198

Milk is GROSS.Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You?

Milk tastes SO disgusting to me. I don't like to drink it plain. I don't mind it in cereal, however after eating the cereal I dump the rest of the milk into the sink. And I also like dipping my oreo cookies in a cup of milk! But, I don't eat cereal often and I'm TRYING to lay off the sweets. I really cannot stand Milk, so instead I drink lots of Orange Juice. Is Milk really necessary in my life? Or can I just live without it? Cuz I'd prefer to just drink Water, Orange Juice, Tea, Lemonade and Gatorade. :  

-reply by SCOSCO

piss off.Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You?

I easily drink 5-10 cups of milk a day, every single time I eat something I will have a glass of milk, it's always being whole milk and I've been doing it since I can remember I am now nearly 19 years old I'm not tall (so milk definitely can NOT make you taller its genetic) but I'm am definitely not overweight (only weigh in at 97lbs) so I don't believe milk makes you fat (might for some people though) I work at a McDonald's and dickheads come in and get breakfast meals with skim milk coffee??? is it going to make a difference McDonalds breakfast meals have more saturated fat than most of the regular menu meals. If you eat **** food and drink milk well thats why your fat cause you eat **** food. But guys its called exercise baby!Who cares if its actually beneficial to our bones, its yummy helps me digest food heaps better and better on your teeth than any other thing you can drink (except water of course)

-reply by Aimee