xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Thorned Rose

Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You? Whats your opinion

Is Milk and Milk products to your understanding GOOD or BAD for you?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've heard that the calcium in cow's milk can't be absorbed by humans. It was made only for their babies and not ours. And isn't there a lot of fat in milk? I once knew a guy who drank milk all day and he is still overweight from what I've heard.

Milk doesn't have that much fat in it - about 4.5% for standard milk. The obesity and subsequent diabetes is associated with other atrributes of milk.

milk soothes alergies and some natural bacteria are beneficial for your stomach.

Milk causes allergies, not soothes them. New Zealand has one of the highest rates of asthma and allergies in the world related to the large consumption of milk. Immigrants who had no history of allergies or asthma come to New Zealand and suddenly find themselves suffering from things like hayfever, allergies, asthma etc. Yes, the bacteria are beneficial but given the problems that milk causes you'd be better off getting them from a non-dairy source.

But milk is definitely healthy if we choose the right one.

There is no good type of milk. Though if you cannot live without milk (though we do so happily) choose Organic Lactose-Free A2 milk.

I dont see how milk can be bad for you. I drink a lot of milk, I am not really tall, probably about 5'7 or 5'8, but I have never broken a bone or anything, and besides, cereals taste good, and It makes an excellent cookie companion. Milk and cookies Rule!

try to stick to organic milk cuz less hormones and stuff, i drink a lot of milk. if u just dont drink milk then get ur calcium from vitamins, i do both cuz my bonez suck but its not bad unless u drink too much then ull get stomach ache and too much of somthing can have a reverse effect! everything in moderation

shamamster, your bones may well suck from drinking milk. Milk leeches calcium from your bones making them more brittle not stronger! You get a stomach ache because humans cannot digest lactose and casein (milk protein) so you end up with a belly ache. Milk is for cows not humans!

ah, let people say what they want, milk is not only a vital source of calcium, but its great...couldn't imagine having to wake up in the morning without a glass of really really cold milk...would be walking around like a zombie all day without it...i think that people just need something to look into, but i cannnot see how milk could be bad for you.

The government, dairy corporations, teachers, doctors, nurses and mums say that milk is good for your bones etc. Some researchers are now arguing otherwise. What do you know and think?

You gotta drink milk, does'nt matter if its from cows, goats,sheep or humans, the stuff's good for you.
You drink enough for what your body needs, do not listen to all the know alls & do gooders they only tell you rubbish to make money.
Civilizations & nations survived on milk 'cause there was always plenty of animals around.
Use your commen sense.

To clear up most of the confusion, i will list many facts about the benefits that milk and milk products have.

Benefits:

Our best source of calcium.

A good source of vitamins A and D, riboflavin, phosphorus, and magnesium.

Low-fat dairy products are low in cholesterol and are high in protein.

Drawback:

Whole milk and cream are high in saturated fat. (The stuff the body turns into cholesterol).

Some people cannot digest milk sugar.

Milk protein can trigger allergic reactions in susceptible people.

Calcium helps to prevent Osteoporosis, and may help protect against high blood pressure. Inorder to absorb calcium, the body needs vitamin D. Vitamin D is added to milk, and vitamin D can also be obtained by the sun's ultraviolet rays. Calcium isn't the only thing found in milk that promotes good bones and teeth. Vitamins A and D, also promote proper development of bones and teeth, and other stuff. As for disease-causing organisms found in milk, the pasteurization process kills most of the microorganisms, without affecting taste or nutritional content.

As for milk protein, which some people can be allergic to, switching to goat's milk is the better way to go. The fat in goat's milk is easier to digest, but goat's milk may lack vitamins A and D, as well as folate.

And, Thorned Rose, to treat eczema naturally, make sure the person eats plenty of legumes, brown rice, wheat germ, and other food high in vitamin B6. Obviously, avoid foods that would trigger or worsen eczema, and avoid wearing wool clothing next to the skin. Some common foods that may trigger or worsen eczema are: eggs, dairy products, seafood, walnuts, and pecans. But, these arent always the case. There are other things, like nickel and latex, that can trigger such a thing. Oh, and eczema is a family thing, also. Many outgrow their sensitivities by the age of 6.

As for alternatives for things that have calcium, like i said, in order for the body to actually absorb calcium, it requires vitamin D. Some orange juices now comes with calcium. But, contains little or no vitamin D. Meaning if you're an indoor person, you'd have to either get used to going outside, or eat foods that have vitamin D.

Milk also causes problems like asthma, eczema, allergies, cancer, digestive problems, irritable bowel, lactose intolerance (bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, constipation etc) amongst other things.

Lets look at each problem, and see just how much milk and milk products are involved.

We'll go down the list.

Asthma:

Foods that should be avoided are: any foods, including dairy products, or additives that seem to trigger an attack. Mushrooms, cheese, soy sauce, and yeasty breads should be avoided if molds trigger an attack. Foods containing salicylates (an ingredient in aspirin) such as tea, vinegar, salad dressings, many fruits and vegetables should be avoided. Any food preserved with sulfites should also be avoided. Along with foods containing tartrazine, or yellow food dye 5. Mind you, foods aren't the only triggers to asthma. There are enviromental pollutants, smoke from cigarettes, pet dander, and many more stuff.

Eczema:

I've already mentioned about this, but some jobs and hobbies can trigger this.

Cancer:

The most common cause of cancer is lack of minerals and vitamins, and a large intake of fats. I would agree with the case that whole milk could trigger cancer, but there are alternatives. 2%, 1%, and skim milk are all the better choices cause of its reduced fat. Skim milk being the best. There are things you can eat to prevent some deadly cancers. Foods rich in vitamins A and C, beta carotene, bioflavonoids and other plant chemicals. Also, foods that are high in fiber.

Digestive problems:

If milk is the case, then stop drinking that kind of milk, and switch to another, unless directed otherwise. This may relate to IBS.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS):

Milk has not been established as a cause. Although, milk can trigger allergies, and such allergies may aggravate IBS, it is still no main cause for IBS. Also, although, milk has fat, like mentioned there are alternatives, and milk isnt the only thing that has fat. Many people like to fry their foods. Gas-producing foods, like beans, should be avoided. Along with all sources of caffeine, and products sweetened with sorbitol. Stress may also be a problem for this.

Lactose Intolerants:

As for anything related to the natural sugar found in milk, there are alternatives, most of which have already been mentioned.

Mind you, before taking natural actions to help cure something, consult with your doctor first.

Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

just to focus on one drawback:

well, i think that people are allergic to everything, not one person to everything, but some people to different things, so allergies would be a drawback to every food source...but then i really didn't know about all of them other things :S

I like milk. Milk doesn't like me. I used to drink a gallon or two a week when I was kid. Then when I turned 21, milk started not liking me. I started having a lot of gas and stomach problems. After my fiance and i broke up, I didn't realize that my dairy consumption was next to nothing. I went several weeks without any problems and then was at a friend's house and was eating some fresh choloate chip cookies and a nice tall glass of milk. I read up and chances are I'm lactose intollerant, but if only when I drink more than a glass a day. So if I have ceral for breakfast, no icecream for dinner. The biggest problem is not thinking about what you eat. A lot of salads have cheese, so do most tacos, and Pizza. So a lot of times I'll have a couple slices of pizza...get about half way through, and know I'm going to pay for it later. I think milk is good for you. People have drank milk for centuries. Acording to the scientists, this week wine is good for me, but steak is bad. Next week wine will be bad and steak will be good. I try not to eat a lot of fast food and watch portions, but if I want steak I eat steak. If I want milk...I make sure I take a lactaid first...

Drinking milk is good for the body, doctors suggest drinking two glasses of milk per day. It helps make your bones stronger, it also helps in making your teeth stronger too, it is rich in calcium. It will also prevent you from getting Osteoprosis, a kind of disease that weakens your backbones because you lack calcium. too bad I am a lactose intolerant, I get stomach aches everytime i drink milk.

People, you just don't seem to get it. Stop listening to all the crap that the dairy corporation has fed to society and as tonyused said, use common sense. I'm sorry but drinking milk is not good common sense.

truefusion, you have not stated all the facts, only the ones the dairy industry wants you to know. So I will now list some facts for you.

Our best source of calcium.

Not so. The best source of calcium is from dark leafy greens. The calcium in milk is not easily absorbed by the body whereas calcium in things like greens are better absorbed. Also some foods have a higher amount of calcium, that is better absorbed than milk like sesame seeds.

Low-fat dairy products are low in cholesterol and are high in protein

Milk is not low in cholesterol comparitively speaking (though low fat isn't as bad as standard) but the cholersterol is still bad enough that drinking 2-3 glasses per day can significantly increase your risk of heart disease

"Milk and milk products gave the highest correlation coefficient to heart disease, while sugar, animal proteins and animal fats came in second, third, and fourth, respectively."

- A Survey of Mortality Rates and Food Consumption Statistics of 24 Countries, Medical Hypothesis 7:907-918, 1981

Some people cannot digest milk sugar.

Actually it's most people - 75% of the world in fact are lactose intolerant.

"At least 50% of all children in the United States are allergic to cow's milk, many undiagnosed. Dairy products are the leading cause of food allergy, often revealed by diarrhea, constipation, and fatigue. Many cases of asthma and sinus infections are reported to be relieved and even eliminated by cutting out dairy."

- Natural Health, July, 1994, Nathaniel Mead, MD

Susceptible people eh? 50% seems to be a pretty high number of children who are susceptible. Could it just be that milk causes allergies in all not just susceptible?! Aslo you are ignoring the fact that people who come from countries of low milk consumption to countries of high milk consumption with no family history of allergies suddenly find themselves allergic to some foods, asthmatic and/or suffering from hay fever. Are you going to say that that is somehow coincidence?

Calcium helps to prevent Osteoporosis, and may help protect against high blood pressure. Inorder to absorb calcium, the body needs vitamin D. Vitamin D is added to milk, and vitamin D can also be obtained by the sun's ultraviolet rays. Calcium isn't the only thing found in milk that promotes good bones and teeth. Vitamins A and D, also promote proper development of bones and teeth, and other stuff. As for disease-causing organisms found in milk, the pasteurization process kills most of the microorganisms, without affecting taste or nutritional content.

Calcium helps prevent osteoporosis yes, but milk does not. As I said, the best source of calcium is from dark leafy greens, calcium in milk is not easily absorbed by the body and there are other foods higher in calcium, that is better absorbed than milk.

Most of your vitamin D comes from sunlight:

"Adults need 10-15 minutes of sunlight, two or three times a week to ensure proper Vitamin D levels."

- Journal of Pediatrics, 1985; 107 (3)

and strangely enough:

"It has since been discovered that the Vitamin D necessary to absorb the calcium moving down the intestine must already have been in the bloodstream for a while; what is present with that calcium (in milk) is useless at that stage. Vitamin D is part of the mechanism to break bone down so that it can then stretch and grow. Thus an overdose of D can eventually lead to osteoporosis."

Vegetarian and Vegan Nutrition, by George Eisman, M.A., M.Sc., R.D.

Milk is not a good source of vitamin D

And pasturisation not only destroys some nutrients like vitamin C, it does NOT kill all bacteria:

"Milk from cows inoculated with listeria was pooled for 2 to 4 days and then heated at 162 degrees Fahrenheit for 16 seconds in a high-temperature, short-time pasteurization unit. Live listeria bacteria was then successfully isolated from the milk after heat treatment in 11 of 12 pasteurization trials. Results indicate listeria can survive the minimum high-temperature, short-time treatment required by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for pasteurizing milk. In February of 1999, 350,000 cases of milk and dairy products were withdrawn from every state in America because of listeria contamination. Dozens of Americans died from a bacterial infection that might take as long as 45 days to incubate in the human body."

As for milk protein, which some people can be allergic to, switching to goat's milk is the better way to go.

Goats milk still contains milk protein which is the problem therefore switching usually does not make any difference.

to treat eczema naturally, make sure the person eats plenty of legumes, brown rice, wheat germ, and other food high in vitamin B6. Obviously, avoid foods that would trigger or worsen eczema, and avoid wearing wool clothing next to the skin. Some common foods that may trigger or worsen eczema are: eggs, dairy products, seafood, walnuts, and pecans. But, these arent always the case. There are other things, like nickel and latex, that can trigger such a thing. Oh, and eczema is a family thing, also. Many outgrow their sensitivities by the age of 6.

My daughter developed eczema at the age of 3 months or so. She is now almost 6 and still has it. As for treating it, you're not telling me anything we don't already know. We have a healthy diet, we give her flaxseed oil, use natural creams etc but no difference. It has since decreased since putting her on a dairy free diet. Ask naturopaths and they will tell you that a LOT of the time, eczema is because of dairy. My son also suffers from bad reflux made worse by milk. If I don't have milk products, it's virtually non-existant.

Seens as you have incorrectly missed a link between some illnesses and milk, I shall correct you

Asthma

"Many cases of asthma and sinus infections are reported to be relieved and even eliminated by cutting out dairy."

- Frank Oski, M.D., Chief of Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Medical School Natural Health, July, 1994

And as I said, people who move from low dairy consumption countires to high suddenly develop asthma.

Cancer

"Human Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I) and bovine IGF-I are identical. Both contain 70 amino acids in the identical sequence."

- Judith C. Juskevich and C. Greg Guyer. SCIENCE, vol. 249. August 24, 1990.

"IGF-I plays a major role in human breast cancer cell growth."

- E.A. Musgrove, Eur-J-Cancer, 29A (16), 1993

"IGF-I produces a 10-fold increase in RNA levels of cancer cells. IGF-I appears to be a critical component in cellular proliferation."

- X.S. Li, Exp-Cell-Res., March, 1994, 211(1)

"Poor absorption of lactose may more than double the risk of ovarian cancer in women."

- American Journal of Epidemiology, 1999;150

"Galactose is linked both to ovarian cancer and infertility...women who consume dairy products on a regular basis, have triple the risk of ovarian cancer than other women."

- The Lancet 1989; 2

"A strong positive association was observed between IGF-I levels and prostate cancer risk."

- Science, vol. 279. January 23, 1998

"Cheese was found to be most closely correlated with the incidence of testicular cancer. The incidence rate of prostatic cancer was highest in the U.S. (101/100,000), followed by Canada (65), Iceland (61) and Sweden (55). Korea had the lowest incidence rate (0.9), followed by Vietnam (1.2), Algeria (1.8) and China (1.9). Milk consumed between 1961 and 1990 was found to be most closely correlated with prostatic cancer incidence (r = 0.71) and mortality (r = 0.77)."

- International Journal of Cancer (Ganmaa, et. al. 98:262-267)

Digestive problems

As I said, 75% of the world are lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance causes abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, indigestion, gas, diarrhoea all very similar to Irritible Bowel Syndrome, but fixed by eliminating dairy.

And as I have said several times, casein (milk protein) cannot be digested so it causes indigestion i.e. the body increases bile to the stomach which causes an overabundance of acid. To combat this, the body takes calcium from your bones secretes it into your stomach, helping to neutrlise the acid.

"Dietary protein increases production of acid in the blood which can be neutralized by calcium mobilized from the skeleton."

- Journal of Clinical Nutrition, (1995; 61, 4)

Irritible Bowel Syndrome

Most of what people think is IBS is actually Lactose Intolerance so they don't actually have IBS. IBS has no known cause. The very diagnosis of IBS is the symptoms minus any explainable cause. If dairy is causing IBS like symptoms, then it can't be IBS. Milk can certainly worsen IBS further. So you are right in saying milk is probably not the cause, however the fact remains that milk causes the same sorts of symptoms, not just in some people but in 75% of the world's population.

AS for lactose intolerance, see above. Milk has also been linked to Arthritis, pimples, alzheimers, colic, kidney stones, mood swings, strokes, listeriosis, ADD, autism, calcium deficiency, salmonellosis, obesity, diabetes, muliplte sclerosis, headaches, migraines, irritibility, congestion, lowered immune response even bed wetting. If you don't believe all of what I've said (and I have stated reputable sources such as Science and The Lancet) then go to NotMilk.com and read for yourself. I would especially read Dr Robert M. Kradjian's "Milk Letter".

And, truefusion, do you work for the dairy industry because you are repeating almost verbatim a lot of what they say and as has become so obvious with other large industries, they are interested in surviving and turning a buck while doing it not keeping people healthy.

You think McDonalds is bad?! At least they are starting to admit that their foods aint so hot unlike the dairy industry who is pouring millions of dollars into pulling the wool over our eyes.

I have said it before and I will say it again, in no way is milk good for you - it is plain and simple BAD.

Milk can hardly be bad for you. look at it it this way: everyone of us (well most of us anyway) as well as most every other mammal lived several weeks/months on nothing but pure milk. In essence, milk is enough to live on (kind of like eggs) though of course anything in excess can be harmful. If milk really "wasn't good for you" there would be a lot of dead/dieing baby animals/people...

Come on, be real, guys. Whoever voted for milk or milk products are bad for your bones are crazy. It's studied in science over and over again. It has been scientifically proven that it is good for you. I don't really like milk, but I do drink it. The kids in these forums should drink at LEAST 3 cups of milk, daily. By 35, your bone strength will be determined by how much calcium you have gotten. If your calcium you have gotten before 35 was not a lot, then your bones will be weak, and you might get chances of arthritis. It will be easier for you to hurt your bones. Trust me, you don't feel the pain now, but you will. If you really, really can't stand milk, I suggest you eat cheese, yogurt, and as a last resort, calcium pills.

Milk also causes problems like asthma, eczema, allergies, cancer, digestive problems, irritable bowel, lactose intolerance (bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, constipation etc) amongst other things.

I do not!

You guys are horrible! =( =(

Just kidding =) I personally don't like drinking milk. If I really want to, I get soy just because. Like someone else said, milk is made by cows and therefore 'programmed' to be there FOR cows. Their meat is for our consumption. But I guess consuming it really doesn't do any harm either.

And for those who say that our bodies don't absorb the calcium, orange juice is also guilty of that. A lot of people drink orange juice, but the calcium isn't retainable. At least not most of it. Nvm.

Milk is gross. And it can make your tongue white.

Meh, time to clear some things up again...

People, you just don't seem to get it. Stop listening to all the crap that the dairy corporation has fed to society and as tonyused said, use common sense. I'm sorry but drinking milk is not good common sense.

truefusion, you have not stated all the facts, only the ones the dairy industry wants you to know. So I will now list some facts for you.

I did not get my information from any dairy corporation. I wouldnt say i didnt my get information from society, cause you cant say that either.

The best source of calcium is from dark leafy greens. The calcium in milk is not easily absorbed by the body whereas calcium in things like greens are better absorbed.

Either way, you still need vitamin D if you want to absorb the calcium.

Actually it's most people - 75% of the world in fact are lactose intolerant.

I highly doubt that statement is 100% correct. As for the 50% of children in the US, that's more believable, but not 100% accurate since it was stated in 1994. The percentage could have grown or shrunk.

"Adults need 10-15 minutes of sunlight, two or three times a week to ensure proper Vitamin D levels."

Adults only need 5mcg of vitamin D daily. A microgram is one millionth of a gram.

[1]Could it just be that milk causes allergies in all not just susceptible?! [2]Aslo you are ignoring the fact that people who come from countries of low milk consumption to countries of high milk consumption with no family history of allergies suddenly find themselves allergic to some foods, asthmatic and/or suffering from hay fever. Are you going to say that that is somehow coincidence?

[1]No. [2]This statement does not prove that milk and/or milk products had anything to do with them being allergic with certain foods. Each country has their own way of making, processing and cooking foods.

And pasturisation not only destroys some nutrients like vitamin C, it does NOT kill all bacteria

I never said "all". Most is better than half, or none.

"It has since been discovered that the Vitamin D necessary to absorb the calcium moving down the intestine must already have been in the bloodstream for a while; what is present with that calcium (in milk) is useless at that stage. Vitamin D is part of the mechanism to break bone down so that it can then stretch and grow. Thus an overdose of D can eventually lead to osteoporosis."

Since calcium, found in milk, isnt as easy to absorb as the ones found in vegetables. That doesnt mean the vitamin D isnt. Maybe, that's why people say to drink more than one serving a day, so the second time around, the vitamin D would be there to help in the absorption of calcium.

Milk is not a good source of vitamin D

Proof straight from the nutritional fact found on the milk carton, 25% of the daily amount for vitamin D is found in 1 serving of milk. One serving is one cup, one cup is 8 ounces. 8.5-ounce plastic cups can be found at a supermarket. If you were to drink from glasses as seen on milk commercials, that's about 2 servings. Meaning 2 of those glasses, you would get about 100% of your daily vitamin D RDA.

Goats milk still contains milk protein which is the problem therefore switching usually does not make any difference.

I never said that goat's milk wouldnt give people problems. But, it has been stated by many people that they've found it more tolerable when drinking goat's milk.

As for treating it, you're not telling me anything we don't already know. We have a healthy diet, we give her flaxseed oil, use natural creams etc but no difference. It has since decreased since putting her on a dairy free diet.

At least we agree on something! Also, i said "many" outgrow their sensitivities by 6. I never said it would end there for everyone. I've also said it's a family thing, and mentioned other reasons for it.

For some of the other information, i cant comment on, cause my knowledge on those things are short.

But,

And, truefusion, do you work for the dairy industry because you are repeating almost verbatim a lot of what they say and as has become so obvious with other large industries, they are interested in surviving and turning a buck while doing it not keeping people healthy.
No i dont work for them. I am unemployed. Infact, i dont recall ever reading any information found on dairy company websites. Edited by truefusion (see edit history)