xisto Community
delivi

Who Is A Geek? All about Geeks and Geekdom

i dont like labeling people except preps, damn i hate them!! but i concider myself to be a geek, in a way..i d not like school, but i get straight A's..my life revovles around the computer, TV, and video games....so you can call me a nerd if you want....but who's going to be making the money when he gets older? not the wanna be gangster that failed all of his classes or barley passed with D-'s i take no offense to it hehe, i write things like omfg, omg, lol, lmao etc in notes, but then again everyone does..i dont say it out loud..never been close to saying it either..

:D:( and i DO NOT wear my pants up to my belly button, only erkle does that :(:D im only 45 minutes early because my dad drops me off because im too damn early to walk heh

According to me, A geek is a person who forgets taking food, bath, date, love, home and everything else in life but will keep the details of the hardwares and softwares old and latest in finger tips. May be not able to solve real life problems, but will solve any problem that arises in computer. May live without food but cannot live without Computers.

I found something the other day that the International(/planetary If you're in to that sort of thing) Geek Alliance should adopt as the enterance test:

Laugh at this image and you are officially a Geek

Posted Image

P.S. yes I laughed at it.

Edited by dontmaimyourself (see edit history)

A geek is some one who just is like around electronics and stuff like that a lot. I myself am a computer geek. I admit it. But in Diablo 2 and games like that, it can be a bad thing to be really good. It most likely means you sit ur a** down at the comp and just sit and play games all day and all night. It means you don't have a life. So it can be a good thing to be a noob. But not a big noob who doesn't know what anything is and how anything works. It can be a good and bad thing to be a geek.

A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest.

There seem to be a lot of definitions for the word... the one I like most is this one, from Wikipedia. It implies that geeks work at very knowledgable in the subjects that they choose to learn about, and explains the existence of so many types of geeks, like band geeks and computer geeks. It also makes sense because, according to this definition, geeks can ignore social pressures and/or physical needs (i.e. sleep or food, to an extent) while pursuing this devotion of theirs.

By the way, I consider myself a geek too, in more than one category. :huh:

lmao... nice topic.
Geek: A person who's studious and focuses on gathering and knowing correct facts/information for the sole purpose of being omniscient. It is usually done for self-satisfaction. However, one does not shy away from the world. Interaction with the world is one of ways to gather information. Yet, lacks the social grace to infiltrate as the norm people.

Nerd: A geek without a clue of this world and social behavior.

lol.... i was supposed to reply to this post yesterday. .but after i click on reply.. i had to go somewhere.. so didn't have the time to.. so here i am. .AHAHAHA

lol.. back to the topic.. ahaha. .. buffalo... i always nerd and geek are the opposite from what you said. .And all these time i claimed to be a nerd... dissapointing.. =(...

You know you're a nerd/geek when your friends are talking about girls or make dumb stupid jokes. you bring up news about technology that you have read somewhere over the internet =P.. And girls ask you to take a look at their computer so you could fix it for them... When someone have a technical problem... they come to you for help and blame you when your phone/computer/etc *BLEEP*ed up because you did something to it =P You threaten people for not letting them copying your homework ....

My God lots of definitons for Geek. I didnt expect that there would be lot of definitions for Geek and Geekdom. All these definitions made me a Geek, now I can explain anyone who a geek really is. But pals keep your definitions flowwing in. This help us widen the knowledge what geeks can really do and who they really are.

I'd say I'm a bit of a geek because I go on the computer whenever I can, and I'm not scared to show people the real me (i.e. the freaky me!) But then again, I'm not like a hardcore geek that codes programmes and stuff like that. I'm not clever enough :huh:

I don't know why people call us (the "Average" computer user) (ok i guess spending atleast 6 hours a day ++ is...) nerds / geeks - When their lying up my face! I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that they all sit on the pc hours after hours, but the fact that they go out partying every weekend and are real "PARTY GEEKS" (lol is that new?) they can call me whatever they want?I don't LIKE that! It's LAME! It's "Noob", whatever you people say.Now i study media and communications (Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver / HTML, Film editing, photography, you name it) and i'll be on the damn pc like all day. THAT'S not geek - But sitting on the pc cause' ya got nothin' better to do? THAT IS ?lol Geek / Nerd / '1337s' confuse me , and is an often misused term.I'm as "GEEK" as everyone else around here, and i'm PROUD OF IT ;P

geek Slang.–noun
1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
[Origin: 1915- 20; prob. var. of geck (mainly Scots) fool < D or LG gek]—Related forms
geeky, adjective

POWER TO THE GEEKS! :XD:

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything copied from another site needs to be placed in QUOTE tags.

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)