xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
courage

Whats Chmod? can someone tell me?

Chmod is basically how people can access a file. You can Read, Write, and Execute. The different CHMOD allows an application to access that file, write something to it, or run it. Some files need to have the permissions changed in order to run the program properly. If you have an ftp manager and right click on the file you can see there is a menu called Properties/CHMOD.

CHMOD has to do with setting permissions for the ability of different users to access files or folders and perform various tasks on the files or folders. There are three types of users defined in chmod. They are the file's owner (you), a defined group of users, and the world. So the defined order of these users is Owner, Group, World. The permissions allowed are Read, Write, Execute and each permission has a value assigned to it. read = 4, write = 2, execute = 1, no access = 0. To set the user's access, add the permissions together for the permissions you want them to have for that particular file or folder. ie: to give read and write access to that group, add together 4 + 2 = 6, then set their permission to 6. Do this for each group and then place the numbers side by side in the O_G_W sequence to determine the value to alter the chmod to. ie: 740 is to give the file owner full access, a group's access is read only, and no access to the public.Typical web access for the public_html folder is 755, meaning the owner has full access and all others have read and execute only. Inside the folder, the html files are set to 644 by default. There is no need for execute, since html is not 'executable'. If you want a file or folder to be truly private, set permissions to 700 and nobody except you will have access to it.

If you CHMOD a folder to 755, that means you can browse through that folder. Makes sense because you can't execute a folder (although I originally thought that it meant that any file in a folder with 755 permissions can be executed).

I now understand ,but i didn't understand the permissions to that file, but it seems the file alredy had permission! i think it do that him self, or maby the web server does it! im using appserv, if he does do permissions himself then i could have some problems! like: do not permission the file :) tell me please how to turn that off!