xisto Community
mayank

Which Antivirus Gmail Is Using? A person found out it is Sophos

Hey everyone!

While surfing the internet I found out an intersing report..which claims that Gmail is using Sophos as the antivirus.
This guy used a free service in which he sent out some malwares and that service gave out the report of major antiviruses...like which one detected it and which didnt.

And then he compared it with Gmail....and the results show that Gmail found out exactly the same malwares which sophos found...so that means there algorithm is same...so it has to be sophos!

For more information : I am giving the link of the person who conducted the tests and has the report on his website

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The weird thing is, if this news is true, why Sophos or Google don't expose which is the anti-virus provider? If they exposed that Sophos is the provider, then Sophos would definately win reputation immediately and their shares in the market definately go way up beating Symantec. Probably they are under trial or something so it wouldn't expose, that is what I can think of now..Anyway if it is really Sophos, i'd for sure change my norton antivirus now to Sophos. Hopefully Sophos doesn't take lots of memory and slows down my computer when I swap provider..

Well, That is a good point that why they didnt reveal the name of the anti-virus provider...but if you see the post of the person (the link) he's mentioned that because they are in BETA phase...so they might be trying SOPHOS and if they find it satisfactory google will keep it, otherwise they will change it...and if they'll change it then the reputation of sophos will go down!And if you look at the reports...you'll notice that sophos finds really less malwares but others like kaspersky..finds almost all of them...so think before you decide to change. :D

Sophos eh? Well as long it isn't norton or symatec we'll be fine :D It's pretty obvious Google would use a not to well known search engine like Sophos since they aint a company which uses the software which is the top marketed, they rather use the software which is not to well known...Still, I would believe the Google experts would have created their own anti virus software, but maybe that is yet to come...

I don't know much about Sophos (other than the fact that it exists), but I know that Symantec is a pain in the [you know what]. I have supported Trend Micro (which I think Hotmail uses) and eTrust EZ Antivirus (from Computer Associates) which both aren't memory hungry or really annoying.

Google to create their own antivirus? I think they will rather buy an antivirus company instead, like they did in Keyhole (for creating Google Earth).Maybe they're not exposing the antivirus software name for security reasons.

I've never before heard of Sophos before. Will anyone tell me whats it and where we can get it. It is free or paid.

Sophos is not free and not cheap. It's for business use really. You can expect to find it in a lot of schools and offices.

There are a lot of possibilities for which anti-virus software google (and/or gmail specifically) is using. I would not rule out that Google, being Google of course, made their own anti-virus software. It is definitely not above the high abilities that everyone has seen of Google.But... even with the amount of programmers they have, do they have time to do that? I'm not sure. They might have used Sophos, or some other anti-virus. I would not be surprised at all if they bought the rights to more than one anti-virus program (or several) and used the code in each to compile their own unique version that highlights each of the anti-virus program's good abilities.But..... maybe they're just using Sophos =D

Sophos is one of largest Security Solution vendor in the world, Anti-Virus is part of it. but their product are only sold to Business customer such as government, corporate, education only. they don't have consumer product at all. Many of other solution vendors are also using Sophos AV such as bluecoat, Ironport, ARKooN, FinJan,SecureComputing and many others...You should find out more details from sophos website, https://www.sophos.com/en-us.aspxmy company is using Sophos too, I wouldn't say that It's best, but they are one of top interims of technologies.... check it out-Must know

Google uses sophos

Which Antivirus Gmail Is Using?

Hi,

Google is using sophos as an anti virus,

Sophos is a very good network security provider and is a UK based company.

I guess india has their partner in delhi.

I have used Sophos and find it beautiful like they are very less resource hungry, updates are only 4 to 5 kb.

And it has a best detection as compared to any other company.

-Manoj

Sophos!!!!

Which Antivirus Gmail Is Using?

I have seen sophos on a school pc, it isn't good... It missed a lot of viruses I threw at it, by the end of the day, the pc was so infected it took 3 hours to start back up, also, does anybody know how gmail cracks password protected archives then alerts you they are infected and it will not allow you to send, also you can use google as an anti-virus by attempting to send a password protected RAR containing the file(s) you want to scan to yourself, and if it lets you, its clean, if it doesn't, then its infected.

-reply by someguy