xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Final)arkJon

Dev C++ FREE C++ COMPILER

Hey CrimeWave, that's pretty mean actually.You should have given it a bit more time,it's pretty good.Could you show the source code so thatthe rest can try? I'm sure DevC++ isn't that bad....besides, it uses gcc as a compiler, what'd you expect? :D

Now the thing about size is a result of all the extra information the program needs to work in with your OS... if you have a peek at the object code with the source still left in, you'll see that the code you wrote only takes up a small amount of space... so, once you write bigger programs, the size isn't going to increase by all that much.Also, another problem could be is that you've got debugging info left inside... that also will make the executable a lot bigger...Dev-C++ uses a gcc compiler, one that most linux distros also use. If it was a bad compiler, then most likely, it wouldn't get packaged with the linux distros... besides, Microsofts compiler doesn't even conform to the ANSI/ISO standards... ;)EDIT: I was testing speed ratings of a program the other day... and using dev-C++ my program was running faster than with one compiled under MSVC++... testing a doubly linked list class I wrote.

Nicely put dexter. Could you show me those results of yourspeed tests with double-linked lists?Actually dexter, you're slightly wrong. With UPX. Thesize goes down a few hundred KB's and still works as a EXE.Darn those Microsoft exe's.data-data-data-data00000000000000000data-data-data-data00000000000000000data-data-data-datamakes no sense, who thought of that one?Does anyone know if DevC++ now has a darnfstream include file? I'm getting sick of playingaround with Quincy to compile file I/O programsand Watcom is hell for me right now.

Erm... try #include <fstream>... I'm using it in a program right now... ;) ... and I might extend the test a little more, too, then I'll post back on it... (it's only got the basic function right now... no sorting, just pushing and popping front and back... I wrote it to take C++ style strings 'cause the templates didn't like me using the string type with the STL library.)

Yes, I know #include <fstream> I've tried every variety of thata million times, #include<ostream>, even overriding <stdio> with<iostream>! But it [at least, mine] doesn't have a freaking fstream.hTry compiling a standard fstream including file, tell me what happens.

ok so i have dev C++, if any of you know what that is???

you can get it for a free download at http://download.cnet.com/windows/

is it possible to write in c on it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is posiable. Simply select C when on the new projects page. I use Dev C++. Its extreamly easy and simple. I would spead the word to anyone who needed a compiler.

#include <fstream>using std::fstream;using std::ios;That's out of a file I've got that's using fstream, in dev-c++ and it's definately working... using std::ifstream or using std::ofstream if you're using either of those instead, though... should have no problems...

ah, thanks dexter. I also got the newestversion, that helps too :rolleyes:

There are so many choice :DevC++ is OK and you also have Watcom c++ or you can just install GCC + Anjuta...anyway, you have many options.If you plan to go pro with making software and, someday, even selling them, I suggest you risk some money and order licensed Visual Studio .Net.

syntax

Dev C++

Ifstream in;

This is not recognised by dev C++ what alternative to use?

here is a simple way i have used ifstream to read a .csv file... hope it helps someone

#include #include using namespace std;int readFile(){    string line;        ifstream readFile; 		readFile.open ("file.csv");		if (readFile.is_open())		{		while (! readFile.eof() )		{		getline (readFile,line);		cout << line << endl;		}		readFile.close();		}		else cout << "Unable to open file";     return 0;}