xisto Community
Anna

What Is Flash?

What is flash, and where can I learn flash? Also, where can I get flash program?

Notice from jlhaslip:
Please read the pinned information regarding the 'What Is' topic. There should be an answer here. Please post questions elsewhere. Moving.
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Flash is a technology developed by Macromedia that makes animated and interactive movies for web pages. It is often used for navigation, games, buttons, movies, presentations and other forms of interactivity, generally in web pages.

The main software is developed by Macromedia and can be found here.

There are also various freeware applications, but those don't have very many features and are quite limited in their uses. To find them just put "freeware flash creator" into a search engine.

If you want to learn Flash there are loads of tutorials on Pixel2Life and tutorial eBooks and training videos available for download or on eBay.

Hope this helps you.

There are also other professional fully-featured Flash editors and creators, for example Swish: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, which is meant to be easier to use than flash.

Additional websites with tutorials and explanation videos:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - Website offering free videos for basic 2d animation.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - tutorials of the basic usage of Macromedia Flash.

http://www.adobe.com/careers/university/marketing-research.html - At the bottom, some free presentations on studio, including flash.

I hope this helps you out.

Flash is a wonderful technology developed by Macromedia for Dynamic contents.You can develop flash using Macromedia Flash.Being a newbie you can use applications that are based on flash to create flash technology, but you can use the in-built effects and templates to create what you need without much knowledge about flash and easily.Some of such type applications are, -- Swish Max -- Astro -- Flax -- TrendyFlash Site Builder -- Seltco Flash Designerand many more are available .Each of these applications are made for some specific designs only so you can choose the application as per your needs.

well i have used the program, and its not really easy to use but if you look above he gave a link to download it and it can be found HERE quite expensive..lmao

Flash, Macromedia Flash, or Flash 8 Professional is a programming language used by Macromedia Industries (now Adobe since the take-over in 2005). It is a fairly-complex code that involves the motion of pictures to create documents. You can download a 30-day free trial of Macromedia Flash at http://www.adobe.com/, by signing on as a Macromedia User. Once the 30-days are over, you cannot use Flash anymore. Flash takes a while to learn, however the newbie can create a short movie (3 minutes in length) using just pictures in a slideshow. For example, making a person "move" in flash is one of the hardest things to do, but displaying a screen for 5 seconds then displaying another is fairly simple to make.
Macromedia offers some free tutorials once you purchase (or download a free trial) of Macromedia Flash Professional 8. If you are looking into purchasing an edition of Flash, I recommend Macromedia Flash Professional 8 as opposed to Macromedia Flash Basic 8. Professional, although more money, allows more "tween", or motion, design, and allows the use of pre-set templates, and even more (gasp) code to use. Macromedia Flash Basic 8 is just what you need to make flash, and goes on sale for approximately $299 USD, where I believe Flash Professional 8 goes on sale for $599 or $699 or so. Check the Macromedia website for actual prices.
I only recommend Macromedia Flash Professional 8 if you are fluent in at least one previous version of Flash, be it MX or MX 2004 (previous versions to 8), and you are seriously thinking into going into programming.
Finally, Adobe, now the owner of Macromedia, has several program bundles on their web site (http://www.adobe.com/), which include Adobe's Creative Suite 2, which includes Adobe Acrobat 3-D (professional PDF making), Photoshop CS2 (imaging), and a lot of other Adobe products, but most importantly Photoshop, combined with "Studio 8" from Macromedia, which offers the entire Macromedia product line. Flash Professional 8 for motion, Fireworks 8 for images (although Photoshop CS2 is better), Dreamweaver 8 (web-site making), and a lot of lesser products including, I believe, Contribute 3 (which I really don't know what it does), and FlashPaper 2 (transforms your images and Microsoft Word documents into PDF files, although Adobe Acrobat 3-D is better than FlashPaper). This entire suite (named the "Adobe Web Premium Plus" or similar) goes on sale for...a WHOPPING price of ONLY...$999 USD. I personally do NOT recommend this unless you are this amazing person on computers and has a professional career in all of those fields. Personally, I believe that it is a waste of money, and that next year, they'll come up with Flash Professional 9, and Photoshop CS3 and everything like that, so really I recommend that you don't spend too much money if you just want to experiment with Flash.
Try the Free Trial out, and if you like it but are not pursuing a career with it, purchase Macromedia Flash Basic 8, and enjoy! In a couple months, everything will be upgraded to the next version, so I wouldn't buy anything just YET...

what i like about flash about basically is how you can get a file lke a video or audio file and insert it into a flash format and compress it alot and loading it up wouldnt take long at all

in my opinion flash is the best rich media content software for internet out there, it enables you to do a lot od things, and you can be a designer or coder, or both, and you will get excelent results.flash is multipataform, dom independant, and better said is totally independient of navigator, os, and all that things that makes any designer get headaches thinking in programm for various environements.you can get a trial version in the main page of macromedia(formerly adobe) and also a lot of source to begin in that same page, just look for it in google, and it will send you straight to the main page of macromedia(formerly adobe).a good place to learn to is:kirupa.comultrashock.comsephiroth.itthefwa.comsure it will take you a good time in this pages because they have great content, and the best of all you will be working on that.

get flash4linux (UIRA now i think). Or else get flash mx, 8 or any of that series. Flash is very useful, make extraordinary sites and animations and other stuff. You can almost make video tutorials in flash and whatnot (using a program called Wink)