xisto Community
googlue

India! Gods Own Country...

Have you been to India? How did you feel?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey! I never knew when this forum was started! Regional. Good.

I thought of it and asked for it in a thread... long forgotten :rolleyes:

Now I see all the countries up, but not India! Good anyway.

SO, What do you guys know and feel about India? Please post here...

Googlue!

Posted Image

Some facts about India:

BackgroundThe Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism under Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU led to independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Fundamental concerns in India include the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife, all this despite impressive gains in economic investment and output.

Location: Southern Asia, bordering the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal, between Burma and Pakistan.
Area - comparative:
slightly more than one-third the size of the US 
Climate:
varies from tropical monsoon in south to temperate in north 
Elevation extremes:
lowest point: Indian Ocean 0 m
highest point: Kanchenjunga 8,598 m 

Population:   
1,065,070,607 (July 2004 est.) 
Median age:
total: 24.4 years

For a start...

Well, I live in India and am enjoying the experience...

This is a great country with a great diversity and that is one thing that is unparalelled in any nation.

Some more facts about India:

The number system was invented by India. Zero was invented by an India mathematician and astrologer, Aryabhatta.

Chess was invented in India.

India is.......the Largest democracy in the world, the 6th largest country in the world AND one of the most ancient and living civilizations (at least 10, 000 years old).

India has the most post offices in the world !

The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC.

The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana

Until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to the world. ( Source . Gemological Institute of America )

Although modern images & descriptions of India often show poverty, India was one of the richest countries till the time of British in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth and was looking for route to India when he discovered America by mistake.

PROUD TO BE INDIAN

Googlue, i have been following your posts all over the forum and getting hooked LOL. They are good, I must say. Keep it up. Your site googlue.tk rocks too. Original and innovative designing... I liked it.

I have also seen this Regional forum today only. Good Work googlue. You are doinig a very good job here for our country India.

East or West India is the Best !

I think what India is most famous for (in my opinion) is being the birth place for Prince Siddhartha. I heard there are lots of saints and yogis living in India. Is this true?Also heard people saying 'India is the most holy country in the whole world.'. Again, is this true?I guess India is famous(or well-known so to speak) for spirituality. On a side note, I have also heard that there are alot of IT professionals and Indians are the best in It.I have heard alot haven't I? Just want to know if this is true. Anyway, these are just what I have heard, so I don't know if it's true.And yes, I would love to go to India.-Shackman

Edited by Shackman (see edit history)

YEAH YEAH YEAH! INDIA FOR LIFE ;) I wasnt born in India but ive been there 3 times.. my parents were born in india and they came here to Canada where i was born.. reppin india and canada to the fullest ;)

My family is indian. I have been there a couple of times and have enjoyable experiences. I love india actually. I love how people drop in on eahothers and say hello all the time. There is never a lonely feeling. I think its got very good vibes too. I can't wait to go this October. I live in Australia btw..India is a beautiful, amazing place and lets just say, there is nowhere like it..cant believe there are so many indians here.. c00LKisses from Sydney

I'm an Indian (though I was born and brought up in Dubai). I've been to India only for about 1 year probably, but surely did enjoy it primarily because my relatives lived there. Although, India is not a very good place to live (according to me). This is because I've been living in Dubai for quite a long and living in India wouldn't please me much. The hygenic conditions and pollution are not for me. My doctor has adviced me to stay away from any sort of dust or pollution for my lungs; so living in India is a big no no for me.

I live in India and I am proud to be an Indian.It is beautiful, the people here are very pleasant.Although I don't like some things about my own country, pollution, population, ridiculous democracy, people here are like, "One leg on the past and one leg on the future, that is why we are pissing at the present!" - RDB

the best part about India is that you will find the whole range of religions and cultures here... around hundred languages are spoken here among which Hindi is the most practiced one... adding more to it, within every 200 to 300 km you will find a new dilect of Hindi... Almost all the religions prevailing in the world are worshiped here... Stillwe can proudly say that we are all unitedProud to an Indian

I've never been to India but I would love to visit it. It's one of the places I would love to visit in the world. I wouldn't mind picking up a few indian musical instruments... they cost a lot here in Canada since there are no shops at my location that sell those things.I've seen photos taken by an Indian friend and it looks like a beautiful country. I was introduced to Indian culture only a few years ago.. food and music.. great stuff :(

Well i feel proud to be an Indian, Bu on the other hand if i ponder over this a questions strikes my mind, Will India be the one which it is today if it had not been in the Hands of the British. Let me put it clear with an simple example of the Indian Railways.The Indian railways is the second largest railway network in the world. The whole world looks upon the Indian Railway system. There are several reasons behind this. First is that India is not a very big country but still the population is huge. The railway system in India is said to have the maximum utilization. ( By maximum utilization i mean, the Railway system is using the infrastructure available to the maximum. )The key highlight in the indian railways is that it is spread over less region( i mean the geographical size of india ) but has the maximum utilization. Indian railways is split into various zones, starting from the south its it souther railways,Konkan railways and so on. Indian Railways has undergone some remarkable changes in recent past. There was once a period where the railways was running at a heavy loss. That was the time when Mr. Lalu Prasad, Former Minister of Railways took charge. When he took charge it is said that the railways was under a heavy loss. This is simply because the public in India did not use the Railways, rather they chose roadways. The main reason behind this was the cost. Though Railways was running under a heavy loss when he took charge, the cost of the service was much more lowered that it was. This attracted the public and then the public started to use the railways and gradually it came out of its loss. Now that the railway is one of the major revenue generating market for the Govt of India. Now my simple question to all Indians is that we are aware that the British introduced railways in india when they had ruled our country. If Britishers had not introduced railways in india , would India have Railways today ?? Or would it have been a dream still ??? I personally acknowledge the remarkable changes which has taken place after 1947, but still , if they had not introduces railways will India have one by now ?? I would not say Yes, but i feel there is a possibility that India might not have one if Britishers had not introduced. They just did not lay rails in plains. The Ooty Railway, its the railway which is laid over the hills. And even today there are certain places in India which dont have railway facility just because of their hilly terrain. So i personally will Thank the Britishers for introducing the Indian Railways when they were ruling India .