xisto Community
FLaKes

Exploding Warcraft 3 Cd my friends disc exploded

I have a friend who was playing warcraft III on his computer today, and the disc exploded in his cd rom drive. Actally it was the frozen throne cd, and it is original. I think the disc must have gotten pasteurized, Lol. The cd was out in the cold (+colder for being the frozen throne) and then he puts it in his drive and and I guess it got heat and Craack.! the thing cracked and even his mom who was downstairs or something heard it. Well enough of the story, what do you think he should do? The worst thing is that he is on vacations, and now he cant play, Lol, like he didnt play it while he was in school.

rofl, thats really amuzing. I don't know if you could get any money off of warranty or something like that. I don't think they would cover something like that.I guess your best bet is to just get a new war3 TFT disk and cd-rom drive... Did the cd-rom drive get busted? You didn't say but I would think it would if the cd exploded in it.xJedix

LOL~ Omg, that has to suck. I would have gotten so scared if that happened to me.Lets hope his computer survived ><

Yes, it is possible for a CD to burst inside a CD-ROM drive!It happened to me once, and to two of my friends!First, I placed a CD inside my CD-ROM drive, and what happened? The CD spinned up without any problems, and I started to copy some files from it... After 10 seconds, I left the computer to do the copying and went to the other side of my room. Then, the CD-ROM drive started to release some strange howling sounds (very creepy, I must admit), and a loud BANG scared the freakin' hell out of me! I rushed to my computer, pressed the "Eject" button on my CD-ROM drive and 1/3 of the CD was lying in the tray! WTF??? Where are the other pieces??? I grabbed my screwdriver (even though it was 0:30AM , and I had school in the morning) and opened up the damn thing... I pulled out the drive, removed it's cover, and shook it pretty hard! Small pieces of plastic came out from the inside of the drive and some tiny-shiny metal particles were present too (the writing layer of the CD).The CD didn't work anymore, and I had to go out and buy a new one :DHere's the weird thing about this:Although the CD seemed like it was beyond repair, I tested it out one year after it's... hm... "slight problem" ;) , and it worked!!! It sometimes works slower and is not very stable all the time, but it WORKS! Now, that's a mystery!Remember, check your CDs before you insert them in your beloved CD/DVD ROM drive tray! As for your friend, well, tell him to make a sacrifice and cut down on WC a bit ;)

I use an ISO so its no problem for me. I remeember ;) I put some CD into my cdrom drive and then my cd broke and my cdrom got all ruined, most like because the CD had a crack on it ;) too stupid xD

This brings a whole meaning to the concept of a game being "packed full of explosive gameplay in conjunction with mind-blowing graphics."I've never had a problem with any of my CDs flying apart inside of my CD drive, but one time the drive sucked a CD up into the area behind the CD platform. The computer was a Gateway, so I sent in the CD drive to have it replaced and they did so, not to mention they sent the lost CD back in a baggie. Thankfully, scratched up as it may have been, it still worked. How could I live without SimAnt?

Yeah, his computer is Ok, because I saw him on messenger when he told me. He said that a 1/3 of his warcraft cd survived, but I guess that wont be enough to keep on gaming. Lol. I remember something similar happened to me about 6 or 7 years ago. I had a compaq desktop computer (very old, 333mhz cyrix processor) and I dont remember If I was playing a game or something and the cd tray suddenly opened and spit the cd flying in the air. I remember a friend who was next to me almost got hit, and I remember him saying, man this thing wants to kill you.

Strange that he would say that to you when it was he who was nearly hit.

By the way, here is an article concerning the more scientific elements of exploding one's CDs due to high speeds. This is probably the reason that CD drives aren't made to go above a certain speed (usually around 52X; I haven't heard of a CD drive that can go faster thus far).

How ironic: The Frozen Throne CD exploding in the CD drive. Do you guys have like a warranty or something. It doesn't matter (much) how hot or cold the CD was. You must check for any cracks on the cd. The geek in me wants to tell you that doe to heating up of the surface of the plastic layer linear expansion takes place and the crack expands and enlarges until finally the CD is in pieces. Be careful next time.

How can a cd explode, with an explosion, there must be fire or something, isn't it the cd-player that exploded or did the cd just break? I don't know, but this sounds really weird to me. It's f*cking bad luck when something like that happens.

The disk inside the CD ROM drive exploded - bursted - whatever...Disks spin inside the drive at very high speeds and only a small crack on one is enough to make a disk explode! No, there is no fire, but it's still very loud, and it may damage your drive permanently! One of my friends lost his CD Drive's front tray panel because a piece of the broken disc took a hard blow on it from the inside. (he found his tray lying 3 meters away from his PC ;) )

Hi allBad thing that happened.Anyone watched Myth Busters,when they went on to expose the urban legend that CD's can blow up inside a CD drive?They put it on sub-zero temperatures for 24 hours,and then on high tempratures for another 24 hours.After that they put it in the CD drive (opened) and recorded how it worked.Nothing happened.The CD burst when they put in on 40.000 rpm's!If you say your friend held his CD on cold temperature,and immediately put it in his drive,it's logical that the drive 'exploded'.Fast temperature change most likely was responsible for this.And on account of some of you claiming that CD burst out flying,chopped off pieces of CD trays.CD just doesn't have enough momentum to do that to the CD tray.Then,in order for a CD to go out flying across the room,you need to spin in to close to 10.000 rpm,and send it off flying.There just isn't any physical explanation for tray door opening,and CD flying out.It could fly out maybe a meter out,no more.And that ofcourse if the tray opened WHILE drive was spining the CD.CD's are raised from the tray,and even if the tray opens,CD should stay inside,held by drive's axle.Those are just stories,and urban legends.We all love to exagerate now and then,even myself.I don't mean to call anyone liar or anything,far from it.I just say those are urban legends,nothing more.Fact remains,that damaged CD,can burst inside a CD drive,but at low speeds that drives use,that kind of burst is generaly harmless,since CD's crack on tiny pieces.That's why CD's have a temperature range of -5 degrees Celsius,upto 55 degrees Celsius.Temperature changes,especialy quick ones,damage the structure of the CD.And those tiny metal pieces are silver coating,that make up reflective layer of the CD.I hope I said all I had in my mind,I feel like I'm missing something here ;)Cheers

If you say your friend held his CD on cold temperature,and immediately put it in his drive,it's logical that the drive 'exploded'.Fast temperature change most likely was responsible for this.

Well, his room is kind of chilly during winter, and he has some old windows in his house (cold air from the outside can easily get in)... He probably took a CD from a spindle that stood next to that window. (still dont know why he keeps his CDs over there)

And on account of some of you claiming that CD burst out flying,chopped off pieces of CD trays.CD just doesn't have enough momentum to do that to the CD tray. Then,in order for a CD to go out flying across the room,you need to spin in to close to 10.000 rpm,and send it off flying.There just isn't any physical explanation for tray door opening,and CD flying out.It could fly out maybe a meter out,no more.And that ofcourse if the tray opened WHILE drive was spining the CD.CD's are raised from the tray,and even if the tray opens,CD should stay inside,held by drive's axle.

The CD didn't fly out, but the front tray panel did! This is not the case for me, I had an 52x LG CD ROM drive that has the front tray panel firmly attached on the tray (it's in a whole piece), while my friend has an Asus CDRW 52x/24x/52x drive that, for some reason, has the front tray panel attached to the tray using some sort of a clip-on system (like every Asus CDRW, I guess) - he claims that he found the panel on the floor and clipped it on back on the tray without any trouble, and the drive worked.
Oh, and, even though the CD is lifted from the tray, you saw the mythbusters slow motion video clip - the CD starts "warping" in an unusual way before it "hits the bucket"! A piece of it may have flown off in another direction towards the tray panel because the whole CD was bending randomly.

The CD that broke my CD ROM drive had a small crack in it's inner circle. You might think that that is not enough to make it burst, but I recently almost placed a CD in my drive that also had a crack on it's inner circle... I bended it slowly and gently... As soon as I did that, the crack started expanding very quickly, towards the outer circle of the CD (until it finally snapped open)!

Hahaha. I had this happen once to my windows XP cd. this is what made the final decision for me to swith over to linux permanantly. I was in the middle of installing windows and there was a loud pop. I did not think much of it and I though it was just a standard error when windows stopped installing. I rebooted and heard rattling around. When I puch the eject on my CD rom, out came my windows XP CD in a million little peices.

I called microsoft to get a enw one and all they could tell me was that I needed to give them the numbers off of the center of the CD in order to get a replacment disk sent. They couldnt seem to understand that the CD was in so many little pieces it was impossible to get the numbers off, short of putting the puzzle back together(which I actually tried but gave up after about 8 hours).

Here is a pic of the damage it caused. By the wa, it also destroyed my CDrom drive.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/