xisto Community
CrazyRob

Dows Anybody Have Windows Vista

does anybody out there have windows vista or whatever its called because i relly want to get it but before i do i want to know what the good and bad points about it are

Noone have Windows Vista or Windows Longhorn, what ever you call it is currently in testing part. And its not relesed yet. And Microsoft havvent decided when to release it I think. And I have heard that they are testing it in china. Beacuse when it comes out it will be the most powerfull OS ever. One friend sayd to me that it would take 32GB to have it installed and 1500mb RAM. It will be the bigest OS ever. :P

I think there are a few people on the Microsoft Developers Network that have Vista. As its in beta and is still being tested I would advise against installing it, even if you do find a copy. The operating system is not the best part of your machine to know has bugs and is likely to crash :P

If you just want your machine to look like Vista then you can try the shell pack. Less risk and you still get some of the features.

Vista / Longhorn Shell Packs

After a quick look on the Microsoft site I found this. Anyone who subscribes to the MSDN can download Windows Vista, just click the large green box on the right.

Good luck.

as all know,vista will come out in 2006 fall.it reported that this version will take much system resource and require high hardware performance...i am not interested in put so magnificent os in my laptop :P maybe to simulate its pretty looks is okey by winblinds :P

It sounds like it uses a lot of resources on your computer. So does that mean your computer may have a better chance of failing and making Chewbaca sounds?? lol. If you know what i mean. Because that would really suck for those who want to upgrade their windows when the things goes on sale.

I am a beta tester for that. I mean W!nd0w$ V!$T@.Its super cool. BUt loads of bugs right now. It will be stable once it is released. But the this Beta is lot more stable then the preious one.Even Got .NET native to its core.

About 32Gb of disk space... No and again no. This is not going to happen, as I read on microsoft web site, Vista is going to be a more Powerfull and stable OS. Disk space has nothing to do with that and if your friend really said that - most likely its his childish fantasy. Windows Vista will not take more than 2Gbs of disk space and who would ever need an OS that will require that much space and moreover that much ram. Think that way, if Microsoft wants to make big money by selling the new version of windows how many people would effert to upgrade or already have at least 80Gb harddrives and 1.5Gb of ram? - exactly, only limited number, so I think that Vista will be more or less like windows xp and people with 256Mb ram 1Ghz processors will be just fine. Thats my personal opinion no offense to others.

i installed window vista beta 1 version on my computer a while ago. My computer spec is700mhz Amd Duron800mb of ram128mb graphic.well.. for my computer, it takes like 5 minutes just to booth up. I don't know why.. i installed it on my brother's laptop.. and it was really fast. But that is probably because his laptop is faster than my computerbut anyways... It looks more like a mac now. which is good.. because i'm getting tired of the old window look.There were some problem with drivers. Like.. i couldn't get my modem to work for some reason. So i had to use my brother's computer to get online and share it through the network. It's easier to navigate your files than window xp. And and instant of showing the file icons like how they do when you set it to view as file or list. Instead.. it shows the thumbnail.. which looked niceSince it's the beta version. The file search option doesn't really work. From what i read from articles about the new window. It said that the new search function will be better and more efficient. After 1 month of using it, microsoft requires you to enter an activation code to continue on using the program which i don't have. so i had to reformat my computer again and install window xp. =P

I'm not really sure, but from what I heard, you need a 64bit pc (or 32bit.. I doubt it's 32). Windows Vista is suppose to be a "lite" version of XP, where there aren't as many annoying things that make your PC laggy and slow. But with those specs needed to run Vista.. why not just use XP if you have those specs already? o_O

Nope, wrong...Windows Vista's main hardware friendly feature is the fact that it will mostly be using the computer's graphics card (at least 64MB of memory is required to have on it) and NOT the CPU to draw complex animations and effects. But it will require more RAM. The minimal system requirements for Windows Vista are not formed yet, but it will surely be less than the current ones, once it is optimized for usage, not for testing purposes...I have installed Windows Vista Beta 1, and it looks pretty much unfinished... The new browsing system is pretty neat, but it "burns up" my HDD when browsing through folders (because it is showing the contents of every folder inside the small folder icon). Explorer.exe crashes frequently, but reloads and works perfectly again :DA Windows Media Player 10 - like player is included with it. Although it is classified as WMP10, in the about box there is a title "Microsoft Windows Media Player 11", so Microsoft is definitely cooking up something for us! The desktop has large icons on it, and they can only be enlarged, not shrunk to the current 32x32 pixels default size that we have on Windows XP, bummer. Of course, Vista is always asking for the user's permission to "do something"! E.g. when running a driver configuration utility, Windows is asking me whether I want to allow that action. I only know the name of the application, not it's details nor the information regarding what the application is actually trying to do! (big minus)All in all, Microsoft has some work to do around Vista if they wants to push the Linux tide wave at least a few cm's away... Vista is still "half XP" from the inside, so that other half obviously needs work. Of course, some features are probably hidden from the Beta version in order to prevent users from actually using the system, instead of testing it.As always, if you can?t install Windows Vista, take a peek at some screenshots at Paul Thurrott?s SuperSite for windows: http://winsupersite.com/

Noone have Windows Vista or Windows Longhorn, what ever you call it is currently in testing part. And its not relesed yet. And Microsoft havvent decided when to release it I think. And I have heard that they are testing it in china. Beacuse when it comes out it will be the most powerfull OS ever. One friend sayd to me that it would take 32GB to have it installed and 1500mb RAM. It will be the bigest OS ever. :D

212019[/snapback]

it would not take up 32gb space and 1.4 gig of ram that would be like a milatery opperating system and no normal house hold computer would be able to handle that unless it had a massive upgrade

I doubt I'll be upgrading to Vista anytime soon. I don't think my poor computer would be able to handle it. Not to mention I probably won't be able to afford it when it's released. Have they got a price on it yet?