xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
michaelper22

Ads Above My Posts I didnt ask for them

I posted a reply in a topic I started, and I see a nice, big banner ad right over my post (along with a Xisto - Web Hosting ad). I understand that this is your revenue sorce, but why are they in posts? Can someone explain how the ad system here works?

They of course need to make money because it is free hosting and they don't make really any money off of it obviously. They put ads in random posts, I noticed that they are mostly on the first reply and I haven't really paid attention to anything other than that. When you <- snipped -> it is sort of like a referal system and they get some money for each of those clicks. For Xisto - Web Hosting, they are part of the Xisto Corporation run by Opaque with paid hosting for people who want a little more. Of course Opaque wants people to go to someone in his corporation to make money and he has cheap, quality hosting which you could find here but it is only natural you would want to make money.}

It is a way of inserting ads in our forum. It's inserted after the first topic start (between post #1 and post #2). And after every 4th post the ad is again inserted to maximize the exposure without overshadowing our forum structure.There's no need to worry about ad appearing around your post. :P

Ad revenue is what keeps this forum and the free Hosting services of Xisto alive. Many free Hosting services force ads onto your web page. The owners here don't. The ads are placed on the forum instead and hosted members are required to post here and the ads get forced onto this forum instead of the pages. I think there are only three places on each page that ads appear. After the shoutbox, after the first listed posting and between the 'Latest topics' and 'Latest posts' boxes near the bottom of the page.Personally, I prefer them on the forum, rather than my web site.If you are bothered by the ads, the free hosting services are also available at Xisto.net, but the ads are forced on to the top of your web pages instead. Also, the features available at Xisto.net are reduced from what is available here.

I specifically signed up here instead of Xisto.net because of the features and ad-less sites. I was simply wondering why the heck ads are in the posts instead of elsewhere in the forum's pages and which posts have them. I originally thought that members can place ads in their posts. I also know that Xisto - Web Hosting is run by Opaque because I opened a live help session with him once. All questions answered.Quoted so not to be considered spam.

michaelper22 :)The ad-less refers to the hosting service. See forum is not the place for ad-free since having this forum "funds" the web hosting. Once you signup for our free web hosting, your site will not contain any advertisements.Some free hosting sites will "force ads" on to your site so that the visiting traffic you generate also funds the owner of a service. But Xisto's hosting will NEVER force ads to your web page. So you were mistaken for two different things: forum and hosting account. If you still have questions please feel free to post them here.