xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ROCKYJJ

New System Shuts Down After Running About 1 Minute new ecs extreme

I have a new ecs extreme motherboard with an apthlon 939 3000+ processor, with 512mb ram a new power supply and new hardrrive. I have a 128m AGP video card from a good machine. All of the itemes I am using have either come from a running system or have been tested in a working computer. My computer will turn on and I can get to cmos setup or to boot from cd, however, after about 1-2 minutes the system just shuts down.

well in some famous words just check your bios and to see if you missed any steps in connecting them. or just call service support unless this a full customized system built from scratch.

Do you have a heat sink and fan for your processor? Or did you forget to plug that in? If there is no fan on your processor, it could shut down after a minute because of over heating. I'm not sure if you over clocked your processor either. Cause if you did, that would make the over heating problem worse. Make sure the computer has adequate cooling! It will shut down if it is overheated. Even some BIOS have an option to shut down if CPU temperature goes beyond a certain point.

Do you have a heat sink and fan for your processor?  Or did you forget to plug that in?  If there is no fan on your processor, it could shut down after a minute because of over heating.  I'm not sure if you over clocked your processor either.  Cause if you did, that would make the over heating problem worse.

Make sure the computer has adequate cooling!  It will shut down if it is overheated.  Even some BIOS have an option to shut down if CPU temperature goes beyond a certain point.

209581[/snapback]

i plugged in the heatsink/fan and it spins at boot. i have not overclocked,

Well, the possibilities i can think of are:Overheating issuesManufacture defragsLack of powerThose 3 are some possibilities that could cause your computer to reboot not long after startup.

This is a common classic problem of DIY computers...Here are the possibilities if it..1) Overheated - The cooler or fan is not powerful enough to cool down your processor or graphics card2) Parts / Components disconnected

1.) try boot the computer in bios or ms-dos and running the msd to check whether it is overheat or not. 2.) check your power supply to confirm that provides enought power.3.) replace with a older display card to see the problem will occur4.) try twist the motherboad a little bit, sometime the motherboard might have some noise, by this way, should be clear it out.5.) replace the ram with a single 256 or 512m ram if the ram is two pieces.- hope this help

does your pc boot into xp or does it fail ?if you go into the bios and leave it there for a few minutes does it fail ?does your motherboard bios has a section that shows the processor fan details ?if you can see the temp in the bios , what is it ?what speed is your fan running at ?if the temp getting up to 65 - 70 degrees then it is over heating.is the fan running slow or is it noisy ?did you put heatsink compound on the fan base ?

does your pc boot into xp or does it fail ?

if you go into the bios and leave it there for a few minutes does it fail  ?

does your motherboard bios has a section that shows the processor fan details ?

if you can see the temp in the bios , what is it ?

what speed is your fan running at ?

if the temp getting up to 65 - 70 degrees then it is over heating.

is the fan running slow or is it noisy ?

did you put heatsink compound on the fan base ?

209656[/snapback]

it will go in to cmos or start the win xp setup up but just shuts down after about a minute. i checked the temp it is about 73 f.no noise from the fans or the m/b. i have several fans all running normal. i replaced the power supply with a 450w with two fans. i put heatsink compound on the fan base.

same thing happened to me. my problem was that my comuter was overhearing because the hardwere is working to har or u insalled something your systwem can't handle. I would suggest you get a better fan or just install cooling with liguids like the aienwere comuters. that is the most logican reason for the informantion you posted. I got a SmartPower fan model numbeer SL350 i think they have new and better ones and the reason i like them is they offer good hardwere for good prices.

to isolate thermal factor on this, open up the case and point an electric fan to it, power on your system and observe if same problem would appear, check also the test report for your motherboard and make sure that all components are supported, this can also contribute to system instability.One more thing, sometimes we are not aware that we have not properly installed the heatsing-fan you can also verify this, see to it that the heatsink properly and firmly touches the CPU die.Let us know any development.

Have you thought about mabye the power supply is not big enough for all of your components? I had a old gateway that I decided to stick a 9800 pro in, and I got constant restarts. I finally found out that the power supply was only a 160 watt. I upgraded it, and it worked fine.

Ok I have built a new machine expecting to use the old PSU the specs are as follows:MOBO: GIGABYTE S-series GA-MA790FX-DS5PSU: JGE ATX 500W P4-12V (rails are unknown please let me know how to tell the rails and ill gladly post them)Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 (skt AM2)Media Drives: 2 dvd drives (IDE), dynex internal USB multi media card readerVideo card/s: 2 ATI Diamond HD 3870's (tryed to run both first in crossfire than only one)HDD's: 2 segate 500GB sata HDD'sMisc: TV tuner card (PCI), total of about 7 fans (tho all were not plugged in when I attempted to boot), LCD screenProblem:The problem occures durring boot up I attempt to se my BIOS settings and the system shuts down I was told this sounds like a heat issue in wich case the cpu fan is working as is the PSU fan my question is is it posible to add too much thermal paste to the CPU to cause an overheating issue?The reason for this question is the fact that I had to remove the heat sink in order to install an LCD screen (that arrived later after the fact I had already clipped the CPU to the board and heat sink) I applyed a small amount (or in my opinion a small amount) of artic silver 5 to re seal the heatsink and processor (moral of this story is don't be in a hurry to get ure new machine up and running or you might mess up)Is it possible that my old PSU is just simply too weak to power this set-up?Any thoughts or ideas would be awsome I already tryed to run only 1 PCI-E card but that still didnt seem to make any diffrenceI would like to get to the bottom of this ASAP as I am excited to get this machine up and running thank you for ure time and for reading this postAny other questions please feel free to ask-reply by korn16ftl

system shutdown after 50min

New System Shuts Down After Running About 1 Minute

Hi,

I too have got system shutdown problem, but it is initiated when I run command prompt, otherwise my pc will run fine.

Any suggestions if this is caused by some trojan/virus.

Pleae help

-question by vinay

My Solution

New System Shuts Down After Running About 1 Minute

My PC was shutting down and not indicating overheating (though it was overheating cause it happened a lot more when playing video)

SOLUTION:

Remove CPU cooling fan and heatsink

Remove and reinstall CPU

Reapply thermal compound

Reinstall CPU cooler

My Amd Socket A needed reseating, and is sensitive to heatsink placement and fan speed. The Amd Socket A heatsink is a ***** to install with zero clearance unless you remove the Power Supply. Mine needed to be seated perfectly to not overheat.