xisto Community
daxleet

Desktop Doesn't Load

my compuetr when i start it up it asks for login i enter and then itsd just my desktop picture thats it no icons start menu nothing. and i tried going into safe mode, same thing still doesnt work, what do i do i even tried putting in the windows xy cd, but what do i do once i put it in if i cant access my start menu or desktop icons?

This is most probably a problem from your Windows Explorer.I'd suggest the following possibilities:1) Restore from a restore point2) Go into Safe Mode and undo any settings that made your Explorer disappear to reappear again3) Reformat your computer

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THE EXPLANATION

Background to come to the problem: I was recently coding a virus in Visual Basic, when I stupidly ran one, when i was just trying to see the source code. I was in luck, as I knew the basic activities it would do, so I terminated everything before it did too much damage.

When I reloaded my computer my desktop wasnt there, like all the other cases.

Solution:I checked the source code, and noticed a few things

Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRun", "1"Shl.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoDesktop", "1", "REG_DWORD"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind", 1, "REG_DWORD"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr", "1"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools", "1", "REG_DWORD"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRun", 1, "REG_BINARY"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoClose", 1, "REG_BINARY" Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoLogOff", 1, "REG_BINARY"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives", "67108863", "REG_DWORD"

To those of you who cant understand this, it is code in Visual Basic that adds new entries to your registry, screwing it up in certain situations.

Because i knew what to do, i was able to manually remove all of these, i am also supplying you guys w/ these programs that can fix them. I included one program per problem.

Downloading the wrong one, that you do not have a problem with, will not negatively affect your computer, it will just display a message stating that there is no need for it.

Problem: Windows Don't Close When I Tell Them To

Problem: The Search Button on the Start Menu is Missing

Problem: Desktop Won't Load, Taskbar Still Does Though

Problem: The Run Button on the Start Menu is Missing

Problem: I Can't Log Off

Problem: I Can't Access "regedit.exe" or there is problems with the Registry

Problem: TaskManager is Disabled (excellent for accounts without adminstrative attributes to be able to access it)

So, overall, dont download anything that might have a virus, this is probably where you got it. If you find all of these problems together, you got it from a P2P filesharing program, or someone sent it to you over AIM. I will have a website at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ within a day or two, so check there for more vaccines or maybe even viruses, idk.

thank you for reading this, btw Vulcan is the Roman God that is the Blacksmith of the Underworld

If you need to contact me my AIM s/n is VULC4NofHAX and my email is vulc4n.hax@gmail.com

Some tips:

try making a new user account (if possible) and transfering all programs and stuff there.

run that program in the run dialog that changes the registry startup thing and make sure explorer.exe is there, if not add it somehow

swich to linux, mac, or anything but windows

Get a new computer, transfer all the files, and burn the old one

panic in your room not knowing what to do

go to one of those good old fashoned computer stores and tell them you have a credit card. When you have to pay, grab your computer. Run away. :)

I also have allmost the same problem , but my my startup item slow down the my window speed , please tell me how to control the startup itmes...please

I also have allmost the same problem , but my my startup item slow down the my window speed , please tell me how to control the startup itmes...please

Try This1- Ctlr+Alt+Deleteto- Run explorer.exe3- go to Windows4- copy explorer.exe (the larger one)5- Paste Shortcut inC:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartupit's just a temp. solution-Dr.Bat

Chances are that something has messed up your 'userinit.exe' file. I had this problem a while ago, a virus was eating my computer too.Luckily I had Ubuntu dual booted onto my system and I set NTFS permissions and replaces userinit.exe with a new one.

Yes I agree but am puzzled I run vista my pals pc doesnt show desktop but can only find one explorer.exe in windows you said there was a bigger one where?? please is it the one I found in windows and is only to.83mbs please helpplease help me ((Trap FeedBacker))-mike

I don't know why but after adding a laptop to the domain at work, the machine will get his problem 1/15 times it boots (average). I believe the cause is that the computer is unable to connect to the domain for some reason, but I do have a quick fix (per boot). Pres Ctrl+alt+del and choose Task Manager. Click File/New Task(Run)Type the following in the windows that appears: explorer.Exe and hit ok.Your desktop should come up.-Tony Vida; TK 3204; Austin, Tx

Thank you so much

Desktop Doesn't Load

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

I don't know if you will read this, but you are my personal hero. I was so scared when this happened, because I am on someone elses computer. I was close to tears, thank you so much.

-reply by Thomas

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THE EXPLANATION

Background to come to the problem: I was recently coding a virus in Visual Basic, when I stupidly ran one, when i was just trying to see the source code. I was in luck, as I knew the basic activities it would do, so I terminated everything before it did too much damage.

When I reloaded my computer my desktop wasnt there, like all the other cases.

Solution:I checked the source code, and noticed a few things

Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRun", "1"Shl.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoDesktop", "1", "REG_DWORD"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind", 1, "REG_DWORD"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr", "1"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools", "1", "REG_DWORD"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRun", 1, "REG_BINARY"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoClose", 1, "REG_BINARY" Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoLogOff", 1, "REG_BINARY"Shl.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives", "67108863", "REG_DWORD"

To those of you who cant understand this, it is code in Visual Basic that adds new entries to your registry, screwing it up in certain situations.

Because i knew what to do, i was able to manually remove all of these, i am also supplying you guys w/ these programs that can fix them. I included one program per problem.

Downloading the wrong one, that you do not have a problem with, will not negatively affect your computer, it will just display a message stating that there is no need for it.

Problem: Windows Don't Close When I Tell Them To

Problem: The Search Button on the Start Menu is Missing

Problem: Desktop Won't Load, Taskbar Still Does Though

Problem: The Run Button on the Start Menu is Missing

Problem: I Can't Log Off

Problem: I Can't Access "regedit.exe" or there is problems with the Registry

Problem: TaskManager is Disabled (excellent for accounts without adminstrative attributes to be able to access it)

So, overall, dont download anything that might have a virus, this is probably where you got it. If you find all of these problems together, you got it from a P2P filesharing program, or someone sent it to you over AIM. I will have a website at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ within a day or two, so check there for more vaccines or maybe even viruses, idk.

thank you for reading this, btw Vulcan is the Roman God that is the Blacksmith of the Underworld

If you need to contact me my AIM s/n is VULC4NofHAX and my email is vulc4n.hax@gmail.com

Thanks for that, guest. But I think he don't have a virus because taskmanager is NOT disabled. Which virus won't disable that?

My suggestions:

Try reinstall the os. If it dosen't work, it's probly about your handware.

It's easy fix.If you can open CTRL+ALT+DEL. Do so.Click Task Manager button.File > New Task (run...)Type: msconfigIn msconfig look at your .ini files on the tabs presented. I think on the win.ini...You'll see a line that saysshell=Well if something else besides explorer.exe is there, that's what happened to your desktop. Either delete the line entirely or putshell=explorer.exeThat's one possibility though,,,