xisto Community
moldboy

Google Told Me I Had A Virus...

I was at school and got this message...

Posted Image

It's only ever happened at school, and only on google print, Odd.

207877[/snapback]

you should advise your school administrators about that, just to be on the safe side. PCs in a network environment are particularly prone to such problems. let them figure out what's really wrong. B)

Very interesting. It may be a possibility that the computers at your school have been requesting such a vast amount of information that it set off a red flag on google's servers. Since they want to protect their bandwidth and all, they probably put a temporary block on your school's ip address and tell the user that it is a virus or spyware as most people wouldn't understand the concept of bandwidth and all other important things that are associated with running and maintaining a website of such rank as google.

I didn't really understand what's written there, but I'm sure that was just a joke.

I doubt that, google has made a lot of jokes in the past (G.C.H.E.E.S.E, Google Gupl, Pigion Rank to name just a few) but I doubt that they would joke about spyware/virus.

It may be a possibility that the computers at your school have been requesting such a vast amount of information that it set off a red flag on google's servers

Now that's what I thought, but it only ever happens when I tried google print, that is print.google.ca, and when I tried print.google.com I got a simmilar error except without the enter the following word thing. But our school has less then 120 students, and our division (same IP address I believe) has less then 2000 people.

Well thats an wierd message, I think that its a joke too. But anyway try to show that to your school administrator. And its first time I see that google gives out virus messages. Are you sure that you are viewing the real google. Beacuse the real google site is google.comAnd to be more sure, try to see if it is only on yours computer and not enybody elses.Hope that you can fix that problem, wich I think you will do ofcourse. B)

yes the real google site is google.com and print.google.com is a real subdomain of google.com that just so happens is now redirected to book.google.com or books.google.com, I can't remember.

Lol thats quite funny, i wouldnt say it would be a joke..cus im sure google have registered almost every major domain thing there is...but its not a surprise your school computers could have spyware....the computers in my school always had spyware in them , and they were so insecure..you could delete the whole school network through microsoft frontpage..B)

Lol thats quite funny, i wouldnt say it would be a joke..cus im sure google have registered almost every major domain thing there is...

but its not a surprise your school computers could have spyware....the computers in my school always had spyware in them , and they were so insecure..you could delete the whole school network through microsoft frontpage..:P

207982[/snapback]

hmm i think it might have been a joke.

or not. =/ check with your school to get a virus detecter

I had precisely the same, so it's no joke.It's something google shows when like they say suspect ur connection to submit alotta data at once 2 google this could be spy ware or and ad ware use a scanner to remove it google does this to congirm ur a human no machine and ask u to retype a code its true really not joke !

To me this error seems to be due to the over requests being sent from your school network. Google is the most commonly used Search engine and online web service provider. So to make sure that everyone is able to access Google, Google limits and monitors the bandwidth used by an IP address. So the requests sent to google from your scool network has exceeded the limits Google has allocated to your School's IP address. So google sugessted that it may be due to an AdWare or SpyWare installed in your Network. This is also another way used by Google to protect itself from DDoS attacks.

Its happened to me once before in school as well, although it has never happened to my pc, i think it must have something to do with the computers network, because everyone was starting to get that message that visited google. Maybe it was just not detected the right settings and thought it must be a virus. I'll have to ask someone about it tomarrow and see if they know anything about it. I am guessing its just nothing and can be ignored, but you never know it could be a very serious problem.

What it is, is that google is being asked for search results so many times from one place, that it set off a red flag. They have stopped searching from your domain automatically because they feel all these requests could not have been done by one network. It is not a joke or a bug.Just type the string as it said and there you go.It may be annoying, but it helps keep things under control for the website, and helps to make sure that people don't make spyware with the intent to flood google so it shuts down. The code is just to make sure you're a human being doing a simple search. (Most spyware and bots noways can't read images to figure out codes. A few can, but people are being more cleverer with them).

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)

I've gotten this message before AT HOME! I have no idea how that happened because I didn't have a virus, but from what I've read the previous posters are correct:If Google sees to many requests coming from one IP address then they will require you to enter a code that a virus couldn't read to continue using their service. They do this to keep a clear network line and limit DDOSing.