xisto Community
jack

Host Your Own Radio Station! ShoutCast

I have used shoutcast with winamp..It is not legal to play any mp3's at all..you must purchase the license first, which is way to expensive.. But its true lots of people do not have it, but if you have no luck and you get caught, may god be with you and hope your rich lol. anyways, most small radio stations don't have licenses, they only go after the big stations that get a lot of listeners.. but ure taking a risk though... *** but you can play music from unsigned artists, don't need a license for that, you can have talk shows anything, u can't broadcast any type of sport events, like NBA,MLB,NFL, etc... games.. you can if u buy license... and you can't really have a lot of listeners unless you purchase a server, which are expensive i think, thats the reason i got off of it... unless you can get a sponsor than ure good. but if u really wanna do everything legally, be ready to empty ure pockets, other than that, its great to use it :(. good luck :(

I just wonder how much bandwidth will I need in order to make my radio station stream seamlessly. I have listened to online radio before and a bit rate of about 8kbps in wmv gives very good quality indeed. However, when it comes to personally hosted radio shows, there are interruptions occasionally, probably due to problems with the network. I know that many people are now switching to VDSL or FTTB, which offer 10Mbps or more upstream bandwidth. For those people, hosting a radio station seems highly feasible, but you have to get a good ISP, or the overseas bandwidth may be inadequate despite high speed connections locally. For people on ADSL like me, podcast seems to be a better option to online radio. In terms of technology, I think many software can now perform the same task in more or less the same way. Some of my friends use Real Producer on Helix Server, which is also quite good an option.

Nice Tutorial , but the only fact is that i guess this wont work well with people who use Slow internet connection , may be a Dial up connection cannot Offer the expected speed, however broad band users can benifit out of this.

Hmm I Done All This? :S But i still have a major problem...

Host Your Own Radio Station!

Well Winamp Works, I'm Playing My Song Etc, But when I start Dnas Up It ses 'FATAL ERROR SOMETHING ELSE USING THIS PORT' SO What do I need to do ?

And Also how do I put it to the web so others can listen ? Thanks for this though XD would be great to get it to work!

-question by Sophie

Replying to jackHow do you make the radio that you've set up, the SHOUTcast, come up onto a website? I've done all the steps above, but I have no idea how to put it on a website or link, or whatever. I.E.-I wanted mine to be on the link; Freewebs.Com/kightradioI just don't know how to put the radio up on there. Could someone please help me?-question by Nikki

shoutcast errorHost Your Own Radio Station!

I followed this to the letter but shoutcast still saying, [dest: 192.168.0.1] server unavailable, disconnecting, I have pointed it to my external ip 122.111.2.80.  Help please I have to gt this running as it belongs to a community organization using Sam Bc instead of WinAmp.

thank you in advance 

Ian

Bandwidth IssueHost Your Own Radio Station!

You're right - the bandwidth you need for people to listen to you is too much, even for broadband connections... However if you check out http://www.ultrastream.co.uk/ they offer deals where you can stream to people at CD quality from as little as ?30/month... Definitely worth checking out.

-reply by UltraStream

Nice! Thanks for the info, I think i might have to make a radio station for my forum and take requests on the board lol might be quite fun!thanks mate!