xisto Community
hotboi_dee

Slow Connection... help

okay, so here's my problem...i am running on 3mb of connection and i am having trouble dling soo slow...my dl rate use to be about 150-500kbs from https://www.hightail.com/. when i was using an ethernet wire. I am now using a wireless linksys and so when i dl from yousendit..the speed is ranged from 50-100kbs..same mp3 file..i've tested...got sooooo slow!.....so a few days i was working with an ethernet..and the connection was wayy faster than this wireless...any suggestion on how to handle this matter? please help!i mean..i can 't use the ethernet wire anymore...becuz of my mom..!i had to use a wireless because the router is in the other room..and my mom doesn't like how the ethernet line is run from the other room into my room..so..please help!

If you have multiple computers hooked up to the same internet connection, it will go slower no matter what you do.

There are a few things you can try.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your linksys router and all related hardware

try using TCP Optimizer to boost your connection speed.

To use TCP OPtimizer, set the slider to your connection speed. Choose "Optimal Settings" and "Modify All Network Adapters" Much like in the picture below.

Posted Image

Good Luck.

Not sure if this has anything at all to do with it, but even if it doesn't fix it, download "Download Accelorator - DAP" - it is A LOT faster than the standard windows download software.Jack

Is encryption enabled on the wireless? would that slow it down at all?If so, reset the router and the wireless connection to not be encrypted.

the most common cause of slowness in wireless routers would be your just dont have a strong signal strength from your current location. to test, move the receiver close to the router and see if it improves, otherwise its either: the host your downloading from, your using a proxy, or other people on your network using bandwidth.

i am running on 4000mb and have 3 computers 2 on most of the time, but usually doing nothing...and i still have the same problem...with the ethernet i dled so much faster, you you got my issues on of about that. none of them programs work that you guys try to help me out with, but thanks anyways..i'm still wondering why my dl speed starts at about 500kbs and drops down to 40kbs.it's just weird..cause i'm running 4000mb download! i mean, how come ethernet cable run faster...? but anyways..if yall can still help me, i'll be glad to try it out!

my internet is very slow ? specs are: isp 256kbps, 6 user, and using adsl.

Slow Connection...

Could someone help me with this matter

I have isp 256kbps of speed adsl, I have only 6 users but my internet is very slow. How can I speed up my connection. Downloading file takes time and all the time when I download some video or file its start very well but when it reach around 10% its goes down, viewing of website takes longer...And I don't know how can I fix this? could some help me with this...

I'm using:

Linksys router (WIRED)

One switch 10/100mbps

Cable wired(6 user cat5)

Using adsl line thru telephone.

Many thanks...

-reply by dark_knight08

Hi hotboi_dee,

If you are in slow speed connection plan,try to upgrade to latest plan.To upgrade,you can contact your Internet Service Provider(ISP).
To increase internet speed,you can follow these manual steps to increase the speed of the internet.
1)Install latest versions of browsers like Opera,Google Chrome,or Mozilla Firefox and use it.
2)Avoid using flash and watching online videos while downloading.It may affect the speed and your internet downloading speed may get very slow.
3)You can use Anti-Virus ,internet security protection to protect the pc from malwares and viruses.
4)Clear cache and delete cookies after using the browser.
5)Reset the modem and router daily once or whenever your internet speed will get slow.
To check the internet downloading speed and uploading speed I would suggest the site Scanmyspeed.com .

It is possible to make an Internet connection seem faster than it really is by caching data and by prefetching data. Data can be cached by means of using a proxy server. Polipo is a pretty decent web proxy that can be used on a single-user system, though it can be used on a network with under a dozen users as well. The Apache web server has a module that can enable it to act as a proxy server, so that is another possibility. Both Polipo and Apache can run on Windows, Linux, Unix, and BSD systems. You can also install Squid, which is a full-scale proxy server that is typically found on Linux, BSD, and Unix systems. There is a build available for Windows as well, but I think it would be harder for you to get community support for the setup. It's easy to just create a virtual machine to run Linux if you don't want to dedicate a server to running it.
There are plugins available for Firefox to force your web browser to cache web pages too, though you might want to 'whitelist' the pages that the caching applies to or you would be served stale content from the Internet. Firefox and Chrome can probably also engage in predictive fetching of web pages, and Opera can probably do it too. The option to enable or disable it is usually present in the advanced settings or under-the-hood flags that are accessed through the about:config URL.